Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Henry 22 mag lever gun.I got the plain jane standard barrel.Contrary to other threads on this forum,it seems accurate as any other firearm i own.
Bought it to hunt coyotes primarily.Anyone have any "hands on" ballistic info on coyote vrs. 22 mag?
Yes,there are better calibers to use but more than once i have been asked to quell a problem in an area which requires respect for ballistic responsibility.
In RI,the regs say i can use any .22 cal. up to .229,but feel uncomfortable with my .222 bolt rifle in some of these areas.I'm not doubting the caliber,i know it's more than capable with my typical shot inside of 50 yards.Just curious to hear of your experiences.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No experience with the henry but plenty with 22mag vs coyote. I take my 22mag with me to the deer lease every time I go deer season or not. I don't have to pick up the coyotes so I gut shoot them(sorry but I hate coyotes) like Josey Wales said "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms". I understand the shooting in a "ballisticly challenged area the mag is perfect for your job. I do beaver work so I know..............

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would recommend the Winchester 40 grain JHP.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I use the CCI Maxi Mag in 40gr HP. But I won't shoot further than 75 yards on a coyote with the .22 Mag. The .222 is a different story.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a Henry 22LR Frontier model with the octagon barrel, and it's very accurate. One day in the future I intend to buy the 22 mag version as well and I expect it to be just as accurate. If it's not reasonably accurate I will contact Henry to have it returned and repaired.
I think you made a great choice. Best of luck with it. Please let us know how she does in the field and at the range. Pictures would be great too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts