Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating a shorter barreled 45-70 lever rifle for awhile. Being a Winchester fan first, an 1886 Trapper or Short Rifle really trips my trigger. But that said, I have alot of love for Henry for a list of reasons about as long as my leg. We only have one Henry in our home currently which is my bride's Big Boy 45 Colt and it's been a great rifle so far. And now I think I need to add another. There really is no comparison for quality for your dollar with a Henry in my opinion, and I appreciate their patriotic business model. There are still quite a few lever rifles on my wish list, but I think this Henry will be the next.

So I think I may have watched just about every video on YouTube pertaining to the brass side loading 45-70 and it has just fanned the flames. Any of you fellers have one? I'd love to hear your thoughts, and feel free to post a few pics if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have never been a huge Henry fan, but will preface that comment with this; I have a cousin that still lives on part of the original family homestead in Central Texas and I think he owns just about every Henry they ever produced and you will find no bigger proponent of that brand.

If you want it...buy it and enjoy.

All the best.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
If you want one get one. I’ve bought a LOT of guns over the years that I wanted for some reason or another, and a good percentage of them are long gone. If you decide you don’t want it anymore someone else will buy it from you. I never owned a Henry, but I know a lot of people who do and they all seem satisfied with them.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I got a Henry 22 LR and really like it --- so I got a Henry Big Boy 44 Rem mag & just plain love it, can't say enough good things about it, for what ever you'd use it for at reasonable ranges.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Heck yeah! Buy that pretty rifle!! (y)

My first Henry was a BB All Weather .45C. I was so impressed with it, I immediately bought a standard H010 45-70. I'm really glad I purchased it then, mid 2019, because not long after that Marlin closed and ever since then, lever gun prices have gone bonkers. I paid a bit over $600 for the H010 in mid 2019. That was less than a new Marlin at that time. I also bought a like new Henry single shot in 45-70 a while back that has gorgeous wood! I know some Marlin folks won't even look down their noses at a Henry, but although I've owned a bunch of Marlins and taken a lot of big bucks, boars and a bear with various Marlins, I'm actually a "rifle" guy at heart and I'm unabashed at giving Henry it's due. My Henry 45-70 earned a spot in my heart the very first day it went afield in Nov '19.

Chair Wood Bag Luggage and bags Automotive tire
Leg Plant Thigh Calf Wood
Air gun Grass Shotgun Natural material Tints and shades
Grass Terrestrial animal Grass family Electric blue Wildlife

Reactions: RIDE-RED 350r

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My problem with Henry is they refuse to build a stainless rifle. If I'm going to spend that much money on a lever action I want stainless. I realize there are those who only want traditional blue. For me a rifle is a tool , & I want the most durable versatile tool available. That means stainless .

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I picked up my Henry at my LGS yesterday. I am VERY impressed with the level of quality you get for your dollar with Henry. I just don't think there is a better lever rifle out there in terms of value. Fit and finish is spot on.

Now, my little sister has our late dad's original Henry 30-30 in brass with an octogon barrel. It is quite noticeably heavier than a Winny 94 Carbine. When I took this Henry out of the box yesterday and handled it, it struck me as very Winny 94-esque in weight and handling. Just looked up the specs on this rifle and the current Winny 94 Carbine and just as I suspected, very close in weight with the Henry coming in just a shade over 1/2lb heavier. I suppose the round barrel shaves a pretty good amount of weight off. This thing is going to be a firecracker to shoot! 😂

So far, I'm very happy with this addition and proud to support such a patriotic company. I can't wait to get to the range!
Blue Azure Textile Beige Wood
Brown Wood Textile Rectangle Font
Shoe Textile Wood Denim Art

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Good looking rifle right there! Congratulations 👍

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fired the first shots out of Lil Henry today. Worked up to published max for Marlin listed in Hornady 11th using AA1680 and Hornady 325grn FTX. Tell ya what, Lil Henry sure packs a wallup to the shoulder! Pretty pleased with overall accuracy. Only shot 50yds today as it was more to verify safety of these loads. I did get a rough zero though and so far I'm happy with how it shoots.
Orange Gesture Plant Guitar accessory Font

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took my daughter to the range Sunday to let her shoot her '55 Winchester 94 in 32Spl as well as continue to develope loads for my 45-60WCF, 45-70, and 45-90WCF. This little Henry continues to exceed my every expectation in form as well as function! I'm about to make a claim that some may understandably doubt, and that's ok. I'll include the video we took to go with the pic. Last stage of testing my 45-70 loads using the Hornady 325gr FTX pushed by AA1680 right to the max published by Hornady. I decided to stretch it out to 100yds and see what we could do. Well, I was beyond impressed. No scope on my Henry, just the factory irons. I fired three rounds at the center of the target at 100yds and made a single ragged hole, but about 1" high and 1" right. I'm going to tap that rear sight over just a pinch, but I couldn't be happier with my Henry after accomplishing this! Anyhow, a quick little video.

Wood Grass Gas Font Mesh

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,369 Posts
Congrats, personally I'd leave the sights 'as-is' but up to you of course. Don't think the deer will know the difference! It's difficult enough to get an exact aiming point with a paper target that you can see clearly, much less the somewhat indistinct shoulder/ribcage area on a deer. Just my opinion of course.

Great shooting with irons!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the kind words. It's just been a long winter here in northern NY and I've been itching something terrible to burn some powder. Spent the winter buying a few rifles, building up a descent supply of components to make ammo, scouring all kinds of load data, and interacting with my pals in a lever rifle enthusiast group on MeWe since I left FB about a year and a half ago. And FTR, those lever rifle pals are wicked enablers of the obsession 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been contemplating a shorter barreled 45-70 lever rifle for awhile. Being a Winchester fan first, an 1886 Trapper or Short Rifle really trips my trigger. But that said, I have alot of love for Henry for a list of reasons about as long as my leg. We only have one Henry in our home currently which is my bride's Big Boy 45 Colt and it's been a great rifle so far. And now I think I need to add another. There really is no comparison for quality for your dollar with a Henry in my opinion, and I appreciate their patriotic business model. There are still quite a few lever rifles on my wish list, but I think this Henry will be the next.

So I think I may have watched just about every video on YouTube pertaining to the brass side loading 45-70 and it has just fanned the flames. Any of you fellers have one? I'd love to hear your thoughts, and feel free to post a few pics if you're so inclined.
I just purchased a Henry H010GCC - Color Case Hardened Lever Action .45-70 Side Gate - 22" Octagon Blued Steel Barrel. I love it! So much fun to shoot!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts