Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Henry Long Ranger in 223 a while back. The fit and function are very nice, plenty
accurate enough for a called coyote rifle. Does anyone here have a Long Ranger and how
do you like yours? I have been thinking about another one, this time in 243. I have no reason
other than wanting one, need doesn't even show its' face around me anymore. I have been
lurking here for many years, finally joined.
Bill

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome! I’ve got a Henry 45-70 but no Long Ranger...yet anyway. I think they are interesting rifles but I’ve decided I’m not a big fan of rifles with no aftermarket trigger options. Seems I often find the factory triggers unacceptable (I might be picky). How do you like the trigger on yours?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, I like the Long Ranger very much. I have other rifles to shoot for scores from a bench,
I bought the Henry for called coyotes. I need a follow up shot at times and the lever is faster than a bolt. I am not
a fan of semi autos, I have a tendency to use more ammo with less success. Don't get me wrong, I am not against
semis they have a legion of users, likely a better shot than I am. Oops, to answer your question about the trigger,
I might be lucky because it is better than some name brand rifles that I own. A couple of years ago I fondled a Henry
45-70, almost took it home, short of funds at the time.. it stayed in my dreams for a while. Stay Safe!
Bill

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had a bad experience with the Long Ranger. I bought one in 308 Win. Out of the box, extraction and ejection was weak. I tried close to a dozen brands of factory ammunition. Groups averaged around 3" with some being worse. I would occasionally get a 2" group. If I vigorously worked the lever some times empties would not fly out, but would drop out. Otherwise, they would spin around an lay in the action facing the opposite direction. It was very frustrating. I also watched some online videos where the testers at the bench were having to reach in with a finger to flick out the fired brass. No one in the video made mention of this.

I sent the first rifle back and Henry replaced it. The second rifle had identical problems. To Henry's credit they refunded my purchase price without issue. It was a beautiful and nicely balanced rifle. It was a shame I could not get it to work right. I just figured maybe Henry had not got all of the bugs worked out of it. By the way, I did lubricate the ejector with a small drop of light oil. Did not help. Overall, that experiment cost me a ton of money in rounds down range attempting to find something the rifle liked. That was my first Henry and it left me with a bad taste. I might try another Henry, maybe one of their single shots at some point. But not another Long Ranger.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill.

I traded into a like new Henry BB in 45C and liked it so much, I bought a BB 45-70 soon after. The 45-70 has gotten a good bit of use as my Kentucky deer rifle in '19 and last month's choice for my Maine Bear hunt.

The 45-70 has shown excellent accuracy with a 300gr JHP @ 2100 and the Hornady 325gr LE load. I just got some new loads with 250gr XTPs for the 45 that I need to sight in. They should be giving me right at 1700 out of the 20" barrel.

I also grabbed a Henry single shot in 45-70 someone was selling for a good price locally, but I haven't gotten it to the range yet. The Long Ranger looks to be a very nice rifle, but I'm pretty stocked up for now with a M99 & M88 in .308 and 3 BLRs.

I'm thinking that you need a .243 😁

thumbnail-53.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry you had a bad experience with the Henrys Calicocat. I had a similar experience with two Winchester Trappers, 357 and 44. I bought them new, won't bore you with the tale of woe, they live elsewhere now. Fast forward fifteen years and I bought a Browning 1885 22 Hornet and loved it. I now have some Winchesters that are very good and a Browning in 223. Thanks for the welcome TnHunter, fine brace of rifles you have. My Henry story started years ago, bought a Survival rifle, followed by an H001 made in Brooklyn. Both are fine plinkers so I had faith in the Henry brand and ordered the Long Ranger. It has been fine, can't wait to introduce it to Wiley. My last purchase is a Henry H001M standard 22 magnum. I have had it out once and it is just fine with CCI 40GR HPs. I am done buying rifles for now, gun fund is pretty flat and the new buyers are making their purchases, something I am in favor of. It turns out the old Boy Scout motto of being prepared has paid off, I can load and shoot until I can't see anymore. Everyone... Stay Safe!
Bill

·
Registered
262 Posts
Howdy! From the southwest high desert!

I had often considered the Henry Long Ranger, when seeking a non semi-auto in a 223rem rifle. I am a lever guy, and like them better than my bolt guns.

I find levers more efficient than a bolt, but I came across a pump action in 223rem which I find even more efficient than my levers, so, I bought it instead of the Henry.

Personally, I think Henry is producing some of the best quality lever action firearms in the USA. And, I will probably pick up their pump action 22mag, when I can figure out a use for it.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful lever gun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts