Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here have an opinion on Henry rifles/lever guns? while trying to decide on what lever gun to get, I started researching different companies like Marlin, Winchester and Henry. I like that Henry rifles are US made, but hows the quality and reliability? when I looked at a Henry rifle at Gander Mtn it felt pretty substantial in my hands....had to weigh a tad over 8 lbs, but i'm guessing because it was a magnum of some sort that it added to the weight. can anyone chime in on their personal experiences with Henry rifles, especially their 30-30's?

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a Golden Boy and a Frontier, both in 22 LR. Their quality is very good, and the Frontier shoots very accurately. It's one of the best bargains available today in a rimfire lever gun. I have no experience with the Henry centerfire rifles, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
One thing is for sure, they have the smoothest action out of the box. I like Henry lever actions and they do run heavy. Great family run company unlike "Private Equity Company"/Remington/Marlin/H&R conglomeration. They have a new for 2011 30-30 at 7 lbs which looks nice.

Reactions: dtk1952

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
They've had one of the Henry 30-30's on the rack at the local gun shop for pushing a year now, I think the $700 price tag on it is most of whats wrong with it?, you can get a Marlin XLR for that kind of $$$$, the regular marlins FLY! off of the racks around here and even the vintage Winchesters are only getting $300-$450? so why have something that no one knows much about? when you can have a proven performer for half the price??

Reactions: carter

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Henry lever 22lr it is the basic model. It is very accurate and well built!I like the fact that it is built with everything made in the U.S.A!!!!!What more could you ask for.I plan on getting a octagon barrel next with the large loop lever!I live in New Jersey Henry is the best thing made in NJ!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I bought several different Henry rifles, at different times, and have subsequently dumped all the CF FatBoys & the RF BlingBoy (aka Golden Boy).

While the FatBoys & the GB were very smooth-operating, they were waaay too heavy for me, and also had a LOT of stock drop.
In point of fact, scoping them required a special mount, cantilevered off the barrel, that just wasn't "right" IMO - YMMV.

OTOH, the H001 Standard & H001T Octagon Frontier are lightweight, handy rifles, easily scopeable due to RF grooving in the receiver covers (which cover a steel receiver).

I haven't owned the Marlin-clone .30-30, but a 2x the price of a Marlin, I doubt I ever will.

There's too many good/used Marlins around F/S @ reasonable $$.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Henry lever 22lr it is the basic model. It is very accurate and well built!I like the fact that it is built with everything made in the U.S.A!!!!!What more could you ask for.I plan on getting a octagon barrel next with the large loop lever!I live in New Jersey Henry is the best thing made in NJ!
isn't the receiver on the basic model H001 made of aluminum? I also read that the Golden Boy receiver is also aluminum but brass plated. while their prices are certainly great I do have concerns about quality. I suppose for the price the basic model would be handy to have around for plinking but if I spent a little more I could get a nice quality Marlin 39A, Winchester 9422 or Browning BL22.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Mills Fleet Farm today and got to handle their basic H001 model and the Golden Boy and I liked them equally. the weight of the Golden Boy wasn't really a deal breaker mainly because the H001 didn't feel that much lighter. my only gripe with the H001 is it felt too small, as if it was meant for a child. I guess I could always look into the frontier model but the H001 has such a good price it's hard to beat. I think i'm leaning towards purchasing the H001 because of cost and mainly so I can have something inexpensive around to plink with.

by the way, do any of you have an ammo prefence for Henrys? When I was looking at bulk .22 ammo they only had .22LR but not short. one of the salesman told me that the short rounds were quieter than the LR rounds - is this true? obviously, using short rounds will allow you to use more cartridges in the tube but are they any less powerful?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
isn't the receiver on the basic model H001 made of aluminum? I also read that the Golden Boy receiver is also aluminum but brass plated. while their prices are certainly great I do have concerns about quality.
No, sir - ALL Henry receivers are made of steel.

Henry receiver COVERS are made of a non-steel alloy Henry calls Zamac, painted blue-black or brass plated, depending upon the model.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
by the way, do any of you have an ammo prefence for Henrys? When I was looking at bulk .22 ammo they only had .22LR but not short. one of the salesman told me that the short rounds were quieter than the LR rounds - is this true? obviously, using short rounds will allow you to use more cartridges in the tube but are they any less powerful?

Of the two Henry's we have, the H001 nad the Golden Boy we really haven't shot them enough to see if they have an ammo preferance?, the "short's" will be quieter and less powerful in turn, they also cost twice as much.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Henry receiver COVERS are made of a non-steel alloy Henry calls Zamak, painted blue-black or brass plated, depending upon the model.

thanks. I emailed Henry directly just to be sure. I keep reading conflicting reports on various gun sites stating that the receivers on the H001 are made of aluminum. my thought was, if they were made of aluminum the gun would be much lighter.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I haven't bought any for probably 15 years now?, but the last box of 50 I did obtain was way$$$ compared to long rifle ammo, I think that the price reflects the LIMMITED production of it compared to the LR?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Henry receiver COVERS are made of a non-steel alloy Henry calls Zamak, painted blue-black or brass plated, depending upon the model.

I just got word back from Henry and they said all of their rimfires receivers are made an alloy, the golden boy is brass and the 30-30 and 45-70 are made of steel

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The "Golden Boy" is also the "Zamak" alloy, and they call the plating on it "Brasslite", it's NOT solid brass, I know this for a FACT, I polished the parting line off of the casting on the front of mine and now it's silver!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The "Golden Boy" is also the "Zamak" alloy, and they call the plating on it "Brasslite", it's NOT solid brass, I know this for a FACT, I polished the parting line off of the casting on the front of mine and now it's silver!
I believe you. I misquoted the guy from Henry in my earlier comment by saying their Golden Boys were brass but I meant the Big Boy :) here's the quote from the guy at Henry regarding their receivers:

alloy recievers (all our rimfire rifles are these ones), solid brass receivers (all Big Boy rifles and the brass .30-30), and steel receivers (our .30-30 and our .45-70)
the thing I dislike about their 30-30 is that it appears you can't load cartridges through the receiver - they're tube fed just like their rimfires.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A couple of years back I saw a Golden Boy in .357 and just had to have it, paid over 700 bucks for it as I recall, hated the **** thing, jammed during feeding several times and didn't shoot worth a ****. Looked pretty though, I sold it and took a loss, but was glad to get rid of it. I have a Henry .22 and love it, nice little gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Henry 22 and love it. My gun shop can't keep them in stock. Sometimes takes six months to get. They say it is because of advertising and made in U.S.A.

·
Registered
41 Posts
does anyone here have an opinion on Henry rifles/lever guns? while trying to decide on what lever gun to get, I started researching different companies like Marlin, Winchester and Henry. I like that Henry rifles are US made, but hows the quality and reliability? when I looked at a Henry rifle at Gander Mtn it felt pretty substantial in my hands....had to weigh a tad over 8 lbs, but i'm guessing because it was a magnum of some sort that it added to the weight. can anyone chime in on their personal experiences with Henry rifles, especially their 30-30's?
Well you have to give them credit for being the first lever actions on the scene, at least the name was.

Not sure what corporate reorgs or acquisitions they have gone through since.

Winchester is a famous name, but Henry is more historic.

If I needed or wanted a lever action saddle gun, I would certainly want a Henry instead of a Winchester, just for bragging rights.

Not sure if that helps you. But that's the nostalgia at least.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts