Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out shootin' My Henry BB with the large loop and decided I really do NOT like that lever. I hate wearing gloves, so it was useless. I decided to buy one from Henry's site. Well, they dont have one for sale on the site. I sent them an email, explaining my issue.
They promptly replied that they would send me one FOC, just give them my address.
Came in Yesterday and istalled. LOVE the service at Henry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Henry punp , and 2 levers, all .22. As a hunter education instructor, when we were allowed to let the hunter ed students shoot the different types of actions, the Henry lever was always a favorite. One had a slight kink in the inner magazine tube when new, I wrote Henry, and they immediately sent a new tube, no questions asked. Good service! The rifles worked for the kids, the only issue was the smaller kids tipped the rifle on it's side to work the lever, which caused the cartridge to roll off the lifter, sometimes. A poke with the multi-tool, and it was back up and running. If I could think of another reason to add another, I would.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I was out shootin' My Henry BB with the large loop and decided I really do NOT like that lever. I hate wearing gloves, so it was useless. I decided to buy one from Henry's site. Well, they dont have one for sale on the site. I sent them an email, explaining my issue.
They promptly replied that they would send me one FOC, just give them my address.
Came in Yesterday and istalled. LOVE the service at Henry.
I kinda of did the same thing. I wanted a Henry Golden Boy for years and when I finally decided to get one Hurricane Sandy blew through the northeast a damaged the Henry factory. They were out of production for a while. I wrote to Anthony Imperato asking him when they would have new Henry going out. He personally replied and asked for my dealer. I told him and he said the very next one coming off the line was mine. He was true to his word and I have enjoyed it ever since. Great company, great rifle, great guy, Anthony Imperato.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I have had 2 regular levers sent. I have tried both and neither work. Using my calipers I measured from the cam to the detent and found the regular levers are 1/100 of an inch short of engaging the detent. So, I gave up. I have yet to communicate that to them and I should, but I put the big one back on and just did a leather lever wrap. Works much better. My wife agrees.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just sent them an email with photos of my measurements.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was going to do the same thing since I don't like the large loop. Please kepp us posted on what you find out from Henry. Thanks

·
Banned
237 Posts
Before this past weekend I had not handled or shot a henry rifle of any kind. After doing so, and comparing it to one my BL 22's I would bet they have a great service department. Practice makes perfect I have been told.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Henry is a modern-day American business success story. They make an heirloom quality rifle at a price point that makes them a genuine value. From 1970 until 2003, when Browning stopped marketing the BL-22, they were manufactured by Miroku. The same company makes, or has made, Model '92 Winchesters. They are fine rifles, for certain...but they are not made in America.

With a Henry, if it isn't made in America...it won't be made at all. That still matters, to some people. Count me among them.

I received a Henry as a gift and noticed two very minor scratches in the butt stock. I took it my gunsmith and they sent him a replacement, free of charge. That's customer service.

Reactions: dmsbandit

·
Banned
237 Posts
To me, the quality of the rifle is more important than the country that manufactured it. I do understand your wish to buy things made in your own country. However, if better or more suitable products are available, I find I purchase goods of the better quality, no matter who makes them. Being retired, I am fortunate to be able to purchase what I wish at times , not just what I can afford. Its not always been that way. Being that there are better options available, I can't see myself purchasing a Henry. As I said I do not doubt they have great customer service.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:: So I got another lever from Henry, (Now I have 3 of the same lever, good inventory) but it also came with 2 of the pins that the detent locks on. They suggested to check the current pin. BLAMO!!!
Problem Solved!!!
Another Great bit of Customer Service from Henry.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
To me, the quality of the rifle is more important than the country that manufactured it. I do understand your wish to buy things made in your own country. However, if better or more suitable products are available, I find I purchase goods of the better quality, no matter who makes them. Being retired, I am fortunate to be able to purchase what I wish at times , not just what I can afford. Its not always been that way. Being that there are better options available, I can't see myself purchasing a Henry. As I said I do not doubt they have great customer service.

What prey-tell are the "better options"?????
:confused::confused:

·
Banned
237 Posts
Pray tell

What prey-tell are the "better options"?????
:confused::confused:
I can only speak to some of the levers I own, Sako Finnwolf, Winchester 88's, 150's 250's and Browning BLRs and BLR 81;s That's a start. You stated your confused about the better option. These would be better options for me, than a Henry.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I can only speak to some of the levers I own, Sako Finnwolf, Winchester 88's, 150's 250's and Browning BLRs and BLR 81;s That's a start. You stated your confused about the better option. These would be better options for me, than a Henry.

Of these, it appears only the Browning models are currently still in production. They are fine rifles, just as good or better than the Henry options, although targeting mostly different markets. You have stated you really don't care if something is made in America.

I guess my question is: What do you not like about the Henry rifles you've handled? Was the metal finish not of good quality? Was the wood to metal fit not good enough? Do you find their rifles unattractive? Do you feel they are not a good value, based on what you're getting for the price they ask?

Have you EVER fired one?

·
Banned
237 Posts
Of these, it appears only the Browning models are currently still in production. They are fine rifles, just as good or better than the Henry options, although targeting mostly different markets. You have stated you really don't care if something is made in America.

I guess my question is: What do you not like about the Henry rifles you've handled? Was the metal finish not of good quality? Was the wood to metal fit not good enough? Do you find their rifles unattractive? Do you feel they are not a good value, based on what you're getting for the price they ask?

Have you EVER fired one?
You must not have read my posts in this thread. The OP is happy with the customer service as they replaced part of his gun that did not suite him. He is a happy customer. These rifles do not meet my expectations of a rifle, fortunately for me, others do.;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You must not have read my posts in this thread. The OP is happy with the customer service as they replaced part of his gun that did not suite him. He is a happy customer. These rifles do not meet my expectations of a rifle, fortunately for me, others do.;)
you must be a politician. :p

You didn't answer Broom's question? LOL.

I own 2 henry's, one 22lr lever and one 45-70 lever. They are extremely accurate and very well made. The walnut is excellent and the fitting is as good as any production rifle I've ever seen. Also, When I e-mail customer service, it's the president of the company that answers my questions.

I'm not sure where a japanese made rifle can improve upon except costing more money??

Attachments

·
Banned
237 Posts
Really

you must be a politician. :p

You didn't answer Broom's question? LOL.

I own 2 henry's, one 22lr lever and one 45-70 lever. They are extremely accurate and very well made. The walnut is excellent and the fitting is as good as any production rifle I've ever seen. Also, When I e-mail customer service, it's the president of the company that answers my questions.

I'm not sure where a japanese made rifle can improve upon except costing more money??
I am glad your happy with them, and that you can speak with the president of the company.;)

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I was hoping you would elaborate, using your vast and superior knowledge to explain why the Henry rifles do not meet your expectations. I was very deliberate in asking five different questions so the door would be wide open for your explanation. For you to have such an authoritative opinion, I thought surely you must have some sound and logical reasoning.

Most gun enthusiasts are happy to share their insight on such matters, whether technical or merely anecdotal. But, they usually have first-hand knowledge before they form such opinions. I only have 4 lever-action rifles, two of them being Henry rifles, so my experience is limited. I even have direct and personal experience with the service department that stands behind the Henry rifles, which is what the thread is all about. I suppose if I had a Miroku rifle, and there was a problem with it, I could just call up Japan and get it sorted out right away?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't know about lowball, but here are my dislikes of the Henry

-Never really cared for the bright brass finish on the receiver.
-Never really cared for the front tube load on the large calibers
-Never really liked the finish on most of the wood that I saw
-For some reason never really liked the feel of the wood in my hands, especially the shape of the forend
-Always felt that the larger Henry's were pretty much a rip off of the Marlin 336

Now I am sure that all of this is real in my head. I sure some of it made worse by the fact that I have been a raving Marlin fan since I was a kid.

I have been bashed repeatedly over the years by raving Henry fans when I don't exclaim with joy that Henry's are far better than anything that Marlin is making. I am sure lowball has felt some of the same wrath, hence the unwillingness to engage further.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I don't know about lowball, but here are my dislikes of the Henry

-Never really cared for the bright brass finish on the receiver.
-Never really cared for the front tube load on the large calibers
-Never really liked the finish on most of the wood that I saw
-For some reason never really liked the feel of the wood in my hands, especially the shape of the forend
-Always felt that the larger Henry's were pretty much a rip off of the Marlin 336

Now I am sure that all of this is real in my head. I sure some of it made worse by the fact that I have been a raving Marlin fan since I was a kid.

I have been bashed repeatedly over the years by raving Henry fans when I don't exclaim with joy that Henry's are far better than anything that Marlin is making. I am sure lowball has felt some of the same wrath, hence the unwillingness to engage further.
you do know more of their guns have steel frames, and even case colored frames than brass frames? Brass frames make up only a small portion of their offerings.

They also make single shot rifles and shotguns, and lever actions chambered for .223, .243, 308, 6.5, and 7-08??.

The brass frame is also a nod to the roots of the original henry rifles and the other lever actions of the 1860s.

Henry also offers a side loading option now too.

Henry makes a much wider variety of guns and models than most people realize.

·
Registered
367 Posts
you do know more of their guns have steel frames, and even case colored frames than brass frames? Brass frames make up only a small portion of their offerings.

They also make single shot rifles and shotguns, and lever actions chambered for .223, .243, 308, 6.5, and 7-08??.

The brass frame is also a nod to the roots of the original henry rifles and the other lever actions of the 1860s.

Henry also offers a side loading option now too.

Henry makes a much wider variety of guns and models than most people realize.
I am not ignorant of their offerings.

If I had identical Marlin and Henry lever actions side by side, I will choose the Marlin every time. I like the Marlin better. That is my preference.

I like H&R single shots, but only have one. I have looked at the Henry single shots and have a meh response to them. They are better than the other import single shots in my opinion, but I would look for a used H&R first.

If I want a .223, .243, 308, 6.5, and 7-08, I would get a bolt action. Most likely a Remington or a Ruger. I don't care for Savages or Winchesters. OMG!!! I am a terrible person!

I like Henry. I like they are an American Company. I have heard many good things about them. I have held and looked at their rifles. I have not shot anything other than their 22. I have others that I prefer. Why is that so hard to believe?

I wear Red Wing boots (made in the US only models). Don't get me started on Wolverine boots. That's just the way I am.

I am sort of like the people who say you have to have controlled feed on a bolt action for a varmint rifle for that added security. The US military has used push feed actions for bolt action sniper rifles for years. They must think push feed is alright. I own both, don't really have a preference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts