Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Team...I need your answers on this one. I am looking for a high-vis replacement front sight for my stainless 7 1/2" (pinned front sight)Super Blackhawk.44 Maggie. I haven't kept up with what's out there on handguns, where I am sure many of you have. Most of our handgunning is in low light conditions and sight acquisition has to be fast. So...the front sight has to be bright enough in low light, but not over power the target image. What are my options? Suggetions from meat shooters very welcome! Best Regards To  All, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
James,

I have Yellow, Powder blue, Somewhat Flo Green and a used one in Flo Orange. They replace the entire blade and are made out of high-speed ectapolychromate. (plastic) What's your pleasure?

Also, you could take a stock blade and file a dovetail slot in it like S&W does, then get a chunk of plastic from an old toothbrush, color your choice, and fit it to the slot by some careful, judicious filing/shaping. Install it with a pair of parallel jaw pliers to squeeze it in from the side. File the top flush if needed and away you go.

Also, you can "pour" an insert in the slot by coloring some clear epoxy with some testors paint. Make a little form out of sheet metal, then daub the mixture in there with a toothpick and let it setup. Don't forget to use a little release agent on the form. When dry, you may need to slightly file the top even with the sight.

Sorry to beat this horse to death.

Regards,

:cool:

(Edited by Contender at 7:31 pm on June 5, 2001)

·
Registered
785 Posts
James,

Long ago and far away (from your location) I put a standard rifle bead sight on my 10" SBH, lined up with an Omega peep rear.

I cut off the blade with a hacksaw and filed a dovetail.

Yes I did.

It's not any harder to see than any rifle sight. I could email you a pic if you are interested.

One of the best shooting guns I ever had, so I gave it to my daughter. LOL

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You could simply paint the front ramp with the flouresent paint that is out there for that purpose. If you shine a light on it, it will glow for a little while. Possibly long enough to get that early morning shot. I'm going to try it. A friend has already got some(cabella's I think) and it seems worth a try. He used it on his peep and front bead on a Model 99 .

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI, contact Magnaport and ask about their c-more front sights. I have one on a 4-5/8 super blackhawk , mine is yellow and it is great, Have a good day , Craig

·
Registered
298 Posts
Morning James -

There's a guy from my home town who markets flo paints for front and rear sights (Bright Sights).  His stuff is bright sho' nuff!

http://www.brightsights.com/products.html

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To All....Thank You!...I should have explained that a so-called gunsmith took my front sight and was going to put a silver solder top on it so I could adjust the height for heavy bullets and see it better...It ended up a piece of junk! So much for that!

Contender....Do this plastic blades stand up well? Get brittle in cold weather? Where did you get them?

Griz....When you posted the picture of your peep, I started to ask you then to show us the front sight. My stainless SBH has a long slot where the blade fits. I don't know if a standard dovetail would cover it? What do you think?

Craig...I'll go over and check their front blades!

Thank you, everybody! Best Regards As Always, James

(Edited by James Gates at 8:30 am on June 6, 2001)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts