Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A double action only revolving rifle in S&W 460. Here in PA, semiautos are not legal for deer. This would be the fastest, legal and most unique deer rifle in the entire state! The only outstanding engineering issue is how to shield your left arm from the hot gasses coming out from the cylinder barrel gap. Any ideas?

Of course it would have to have a 16 inch barrel or it would have to be registered as an SBR

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome here, Pete. Glad to have you.

I wouldn't know if there is anything out here to start with, are you planning on having this built from scratch? That seems like a pretty huge undertaking. (Definitely unique though.)

A bracket on the left side of the gun might just be the ticket; have all the gasses vented out the right side. Best I can come up with.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does SBR stand for? I'm not too familiar with American legislation.

Again, welcome. You found the nicest place on the net. Don't forget to join in!

I'll see you around the forum.

Matt M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SBR = Short Barreled Rifle = ATF tax stamp

I already researched this a bit last year before dropping the "project" but still......it lingers in my mind. The S&W custom shop had 14 inch barrels but did not have, or make, anything longer. To get a custom 16 inch barrel would probably cost more than the $200 ATF tax stamp.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep, I'm not too sure what could all be done, but if I were you, I'd go for the custom barrel, just because. Not many (any) people have a firearm like that. Let us know what you decide on doing.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I already researched this a bit last year before dropping the "project" but still......it lingers in my mind. The S&W custom shop had 14 inch barrels but did not have, or make, anything longer. To get a custom 16 inch barrel would probably cost more than the $200 ATF tax stamp.
Pete, welcome to the forum...interesting idea you have going there. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, right?

Anyway, I shoot several T/C Contender barrels and I wanted to put a buttstock on a 14" 44Mag barrel, but that would make it a SBR. For a lot less than the $200 tax stamp, I had a gunsmith by the name of David White (ASSASSIN on these pages) install an aluminum extension that is permanently affixed to the barrel, making it ~17". This makes it a carbine and legal to shoot with the buttstock. I can also still attach the pistol grip and shoot it that way, if I want to. Makes for a very short, weird-looking little gun, to be honest, but it's really fun to shoot! :)

·
Banned
101 Posts
Why not learn how to shoot better and not rely on the second shot. Don't most of you PA boys like neck shots with 223's?

·
Banned
199 Posts
I think you'd need all your follow up shots if the rifle was double action only. Hard to get good enough trigger control for a long shot IMO with a DA trigger pull.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
As far as the revolving carbine goes, take a look at Tauras's new Judge Carbine. It has a metal sheild attached to the frame on the right hand side. Problem with the Smith is that the cyclinder swings open on the left where your forearm is for a right handed person. As far as a stock, I was just looking at a 37mm Smith teargas gun that was built on a N frame and the grip was molded into a butt stock (wood). Just remember ATF stance once a pistol its a pistol, once a rifle its a rifle. The TC is one of the few exceptions. I would contact ATF for advise on your project.

CD

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
As far as the revolving carbine goes, take a look at Tauras's new Judge Carbine. It has a metal sheild attached to the frame on the right hand side. Problem with the Smith is that the cyclinder swings open on the left where your forearm is for a right handed person. As far as a stock, I was just looking at a 37mm Smith teargas gun that was built on a N frame and the grip was molded into a butt stock (wood). Just remember ATF stance once a pistol its a pistol, once a rifle its a rifle. The TC is one of the few exceptions. I would contact ATF for advise on your project.

CD
CD, the ambiguity of the SC ruling aside, I think the consensus is that you can convert an action sold as a pistol to a rifle, but not an action sold as a rifle, to a pistol. The BATFE have pretty much ignored the T/C lineup and even that initial case was brought against the manufacturer, not a private citizen. Sawing off a rifle stock and barrel to create a pistol is likely to get you in hot water, but adding a buttstock and longer barrel to a pistol has no specific legislation to be prosecuted for.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Correct, but if you want to go back to a pistol that's where ATF might have a problem. Just remember that when as a pistol that has a pistol grip it can have any length barrel but when you put a stock onto it, it has to have a barrel 16"+ and have an overall length of 26" to not be a SBR.

CD

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I first read this thread it reminded me of a sniper weapon featured in the Xfiles. I went to Www.IMFDB.org and confirmed that a night armament revolving rifle was used in one episode. no picture of it was featured there. googled a bit and found the following link which had some realistic drawings but no good photos. reference to an artcle from SOF magazine. The rifle was made by modifying a ruger 44 Mag Black hawk, note it was also suppressed. not much info is available out there on this piece.

http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/IsleOfShadows/weapons/Castech/sr_Wr09.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts