Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with their progressive or turret presses? I have a single-stage and a beaten up turret in the barn that I'd like to re-work.
Thanks

·
Banned
484 Posts
Most, if not all, Herter's presses used non-standard shell holders that will be hard to find these days. The presses themselves seemed to be well built, You can buy an adapter made by RCBS that allows the use of standard shell holders:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=413580

AFAIR, they used standard 7/8x14 dies, but I could be wrong.

I sure miss the old Herter's catalog and all the goofy stuff they had in it.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Herters had a single stage press that was a monster in size and weight. Later I found out it was Herrter's swaging press, wish I had bought it.

Jerry

·
Banned
502 Posts
If there was a smart machine shop out there, they would start casting and machine the Herters presses. These are trying times, lots of reloading stuff is moving off the store shelves at light speed.

Now if the government would encourage such small business, we would have great little companies poping up filling in the holes in the supply chain.

Jerry

·
Registered
212 Posts
Funny, I just spent about an hour on the phone last night with an elderly gent who is writing a history of Herters reloading equipment. He was telling me that he was able to pick up the original machine shop prototype of the Herters turret press that is all milled from a steel billet. Sounds like quite a press. The guy has been working for years collecting data, catalogs etc and hopes to have it published in the future. Sure was an interesting conversation!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That press in the posted photo is exactly the same as mine I think. Does one of the die holes have a bushing in it so you could remove the bushing and thread in a bigger object? I have used mine for over 35 years now and the pins are getting worn out. I am thinking it's time for a new press. I had to get a machine shop to make me an adapter so I could get a shell holder to fit so I could reload my 300 rum. That cost me $90.00. I could have almost bought a new press for that. I kind of like the press and may even spend the money to have the pins redone with new bushings. I know it will cost more than a new press but when did any of this reloading and shooting stuff have to economic sense. And I will still probably end up buying a new press as well.
We would spend hours looking through the Herters catalog and then when we did place an order we would be like a bunch of kids waiting Christmas hardly able to stand the waiting. ,,,,, Wait a minute we where just a bunch of kids back then LOL
Thanks for posting the photos of your press I was starting to think I had the only one left.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rembrandt - That was the one I was talking about. I'm currently using the single stage because my needs are modest, but after going through batches 100 at a time, I'm thinking of getting the turret cleaned up. The last time I saw it, it was rusty and tough to turn, but workable.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
mu2b - got any pictures? It's tough to speculate on whether the exercise would be worthwhile without a photo. Being the frugal person I am I'd opt to refurbish them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts