Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across this old Herters press a couple weeks ago and can't seem to find any information about it on the internet. The only information I have to go on is the model number which is - Model-0-Super. The press is missing the handle, well actually the seller has it but hasent located it yet. After reading several threads there seem to be many people with lots of knowledge on the press and I would appreciate it if someone can help me identify this one. Thanks...

I do have some photos...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Kansas city <[email protected]>,

I have the 3s, turret, two ram and 'U' models with a 333, the U is the strongest of my my presses, most of the handles are interchangeable, there are times when I found a press with out a handle is was cheaper to purchase another press for the handle than purchase a handle, I do not have an 'O' press, if you email the link above he will help and for the cost of mailing material he will send you a copy of catalogs and manuals.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a Herters super 81 with no shell holders or dies. It lays in the corner of my man cave because I use my RCBS and Hornandy LNL progressive. The herters wieghs a ton! But I can't bring myself to make a boat anchor out of it. I grew up reading Herters cataloges. Guess I'm a sentimental fool:)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Herters Model 81-2 ram press in the corner gathering dust, I have found Herters in a lot of different places gathering dust, the turret, 'U' and 81 are among my favorite, for forming brass it would seem the 81 was designed for for it, the forming die on the left, the full length sizer die on the right side, every pull (up) of the handle as in 30/06 to 8mm57 produces a formed case, When using the 81 to load, size on the left, seat bullets on the right, this technique works if the hand loader does not forget adding powder after priming.

Advantage over one ram press, if a correction is necessary the forming die stays in place, if there is a problem with sizing, the hand loader can go back to position #1 and form another case or correct the problem, same goes for the turret, though not my favorite for forming cases it has a support for the turret (cantilever) on the back side, with 6 positions changing a die is not necessary when adding a case or correcting a problem, just loosen the turret, rotate for index, tighten keep going.

7/8x14 tpi dies will fit your 81 press, that leaves you with finding shell holders or purchasing adapters, when installing shell holders in a Herters press DO NOT TIGHTEN the set screws, this could spred (spring) the top of the ram, the set screw prevents the shell holder from comming off when the ram is lowered, when the screw is tight, the shell holder can not center (float) when the case inters the case, this could require counsling and a lot of tools to correct run-out.

http://www.ch4d.com/ for shell holder adapters

F. Guffey

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
[7/8x14 tpi dies will fit your 81 press, that leaves you with finding shell holders or purchasing adapters, when installing shell holders in a Herters press DO NOT TIGHTEN the set screws, this could spred (spring) the top of the ram, the set screw prevents the shell holder from comming off when the ram is lowered, when the screw is tight, the shell holder can not center (float) when the case inters the case, this could require counsling and a lot of tools to correct run-out.

http://www.ch4d.com/ for shell holder adapters

F. Guffey[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. That's more than I knew about it. A friend gave it to me and the idea of having two loading stations for rifle cases really appeals to me . I will definately have to check into the shell holder adapters. Thanks again! Glenn

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been making shellholders for the Herters presses...any caliber pistol or rifle. I sell them on Ebay, if interested...also, other people list their unwanted shellholders. Just go to Ebay and search "Herters reloading"... Jerry

·
Banned
161 Posts
I have the Herters 1st Ed. 1966 How To Reload Shotgun,Rifle & Pistol Shells and Cataloge No. 72 1962. My Herters reloading presses Super Model 3 ,3A, shell holders, dies, priming arms, powder scale, 12 Ga Shotshell reloading press and other Herters reloading equipment are all packed away. I also have a little collection of Herters fly tying equipment and supplies. Darn, it will take me some time get out that that old stuff .

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I have the Herters 1st Ed. 1966 How To Reload Shotgun,Rifle & Pistol Shells and Cataloge No. 72 1962. My Herters reloading presses Super Model 3 ,3A, shell holders, dies, priming arms, powder scale, 12 Ga Shotshell reloading press and other Herters reloading equipment are all packed away. I also have a little collection of Herters fly tying equipment and supplies. Darn, it will take me some time get out that that old stuff .
I recently came across an old Herter's fly tying setup. There was a bottle of picric acid crystals in there with a Herter's label on it. Do you know what that's for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts