Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info or opinions on these dies.

My guess is they were made many years ago...but have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

·
Registered
958 Posts
I actually have a Hollywood Turret press and set of 30-06 dies in the garage from a estate we helped clear for our gun club. But the press would make a great boat anchor. I got tired of hauling it around to gun shows. A search showed the Pat date applied 1959 and granted 1962.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Hollywood engineering was the successor to the Gun Shop and run by the same man, however they suffered a catastrophic fire that resulted in the business ending and the property being sold off. The original owner dies about a year later. The shop was in Sun Valley near the western boundary of Burbank Airport when the fire occurred and the machinery was sold off. I bought a well worn Sears Commercial Craftsman 12 inch throw long bed lathe as a memento of the shop and am still in the process of restoring it to operating condition.

I also own some dies made by Hollywood engineering and I like them very much. I use them to load .32 Colt Long ammo and also to form cases from .32 S&W Long brass.

Chev. William

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
To restore a pully-operated lathe, you may need to turn some new pullys on...a lathe! Chicken-egg-chicken-egg…;)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering as the dies listed were .244 Remington (of course same as 6mm Remington). I have a set of RCBS .244 Remington with a K code which I believe is either 1959 or 1960. I was thinking about listing them as I have two additional sets of 6mm Remington dies. I just cleaned them up and replaced the set rings from another set. There was a little buggering on the sizing die outer threads that I had cleaned up by a local machine shop. They did it for nothing. He was surprised that he had a 7/8 X14 die...lol.

I know there are some collectors out there who might like a vintage set like this even though they are definitely used. I just sized 40 rounds through the sizing die and they are currently tumbling. I will load them up and give them a go through both my custom .244 and Ruger M77 6mm to make sure everything is okay.

Just some background about my question.

Joel

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I actually have a Hollywood Turret press and set of 30-06 dies in the garage from a estate we helped clear for our gun club. But the press would make a great boat anchor. I got tired of hauling it around to gun shows. A search showed the Pat date applied 1959 and granted 1962.
Used to load 50 cal for the studios back in the 70s on a Hollywood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts