Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1894 45lc cowboy last night! I love the look and feel of it so far. Now if I could only find some ammo for it thats not a self-defense round. I bought the gun for three reasons, one reason is because it's and awesome looking/feeling gun, second when i go to Indiana to go deer hunting you cant use high power rifles, so my winchester 30-06 is out of the question, third i think it would be a good coyote gun. My question is how do you find out how old the gun is? I've read somewhere that you take the first 2 numbers on the serial and subtract it from a 100 and thats what year it was born. Example 0239485768 it would be 100-02=1998. But mine starts off with a 98 so I know its not a 1902. If it is its in as close to new shape as it gets. Any insight to age, range, and which ammo to use for hunting would be great.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Maybe it's a 2002....(?)

I have an 1894 in .44mag. A wonderful, light-carry rifle. I bought it in about 1980 or so. How old it is, I don;t know. That 45LC might be a good reason to start handloading.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i am seriously thinking about it. I already have some 45 colt in a hollow point for my judge but i really would like more of a hunting round. I cant wait to put a few rounds through it and see how she feels!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Winchester

I just bought a 1894 45lc cowboy last night! I love the look and feel of it so far. Now if I could only find some ammo for it thats not a self-defense round. I bought the gun for three reasons, one reason is because it's and awesome looking/feeling gun, second when i go to Indiana to go deer hunting you cant use high power rifles, so my winchester 30-06 is out of the question, third i think it would be a good coyote gun. My question is how do you find out how old the gun is? I've read somewhere that you take the first 2 numbers on the serial and subtract it from a 100 and thats what year it was born. Example 0239485768 it would be 100-02=1998. But mine starts off with a 98 so I know its not a 1902. If it is its in as close to new shape as it gets. Any insight to age, range, and which ammo to use for hunting would be great.
Its probably not that old under 20 years at a guess, The original 94 was not made in 45lc that was a result of the popularity of western action shooting. This was so people could pair it with Ruger Vaqueros ets in 45lc.For hunting ammo black hills and Buffallo bore come to mind . I know it is a mighty underrated round and make sure any reloading data is for a rifle it will come pretty close to 44mag. In general just go to google and type in hunting loads 45 lc rifle im sure there will be heaps ofb info on loaded and handloading. Also if you google . elmer keith 45 long colt he did heaps of hunting with 45 pistols back in the day . Ive got a Marlin 357 but would love a Winchester 45lc as well , good hunting.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in.

I live and hunt in Indiana, so I'm painfully aware of the regulations. My daughter used a Model 92 in 44/40 to take her first doe, last fall. I spent quite a few hours, checking local gun stores and calling around to different places. I didn't find ammo that was anywhere near the pressure/velocity I KNEW the round was capable of, in a strong rifle, so I bought the dies and loaded my own. Using 200gr bullets, I'm getting about 1525fps, which makes it powerful enough to hunt deer with for about as far you can shoot accurately, with open sights.

There are quite a few guys on here who favor the 45LC, even to the point of claiming it is a better option than the 44Mag. I'm sure they will be willing to point you in the right direction, as far as either finding some full-throttle factory loads, or we can all help get you set up to reload for it. Either way, have fun shooting and maybe I'll see you in the woods, next fall. ;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
Check with Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Garrett, and so on. Yes the .45 Colt can do some amazing things with high-pressure rounds.

Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
It is a 2002 rifle. +1 for MikeG's recommendation on ammo or load your own. BB has it's 325-grain LFN in stock. All their ammo is pricey but hey, they have it and it is made for your rifle. I'd buy them as it is still cheaper than reloading. Don't worry as you are not going to want to shoot many out of this light weight rifle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the insight. I found some cor-bon 325 grain lead +p's the other day. I bought them even though at $45 for 20. But before i put any through the gun I wanted to make sure the gun could handle +p's. And also if a 325 grain bullet was too heavy for around 100 yards out.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The Marlin can definitely handle the +P 45 LC ammo, if it is short enough to cycle through the gun.

You will have to shoot it to see if the trajectory is flat enough out to 100 yards. Drop will be around 7 - 10 inches. It should have enough power, even at that range.

For deer, I personally would rather use a lighter bullet, like this one from Buffalo Bore:
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=43

Or this one from Cor-Bon:
http://www.dakotaammo.net/CORBON-Hu...CORBON-Hunter-BCHP/HT45C265BHP-20/300/Product

Andy

P.S. At those prices, hand loading is where it is at for the 45 LC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts