Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say hi and thanks for the opportunity to post on your board. I am a Christian of 35 years, but I don't try to force it down anyone's throat. I'm an engineer by trade. I like to hunt, shoot, reload, cast bullets, buy guns, and do archery. I do all my own gunsmithing and make my own custom stuff. I like to post on at least one other board. Some of you may recognize me.

I look forward to reading your threads and posting a few of my own. Email me any time. Relationships with other shooters and hunters is one primary reason I'm here.

Live well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome,
did you ever get to open those pics of the longbows I sent ya?................................................Marko

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Big Redhead,

We're always pleased to hear from new posters and yes, Marshall (Beartooth) has established a set of guidelines that make this a friendly, family oriented place to exchange ideas.

Since you mention being an engineer, I'll reply by telling a story about my son, the engineer. He asked before going to college, "Dad, what should I major in?" I suggested either electrical engineering or computer science. He selected the electrical avenue, but after a year and a half, he called and said, "We need to talk!" Once he was home, he started the conversation with, "You know, those guys are really nice guys, and they're very smart.............but they're a little different!" "Do you mind if I'm an industrial engineer?" He finished his industrial engineering degree and has worked in manufacturing computer systems since then.

I worked at Rockwell for 37 years before retiring, and while there, always commented that I could walk through the cafeteria and tell you the type of engineer at each dining table, electrical, mechanical and/or industrial. And they were all nice guys and very smart folks. But I also always thought they were all a little different!

How's that for a welcome?

Dan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome Big Redhead
My Daddy always told me that if you had to go around telling people you were a Christian, you probably weren't.
Good forum here. I just came from one where people were tearing each others throats out over caliber choice. Immaterial what they say, I still like the .41.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Welcome aboard!
It's always nice to have new folks, with varying experiences and new questions to ask. I wish I had the time-money-space-tools-skill etc. to do more custom type of work, but right now I have very little of any of those things. So, I have to live vicariously through guys like you and this board!

Have fun! IDShooter

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Welcome Red:

I came to the forum around X-mas of last. It IS the most informative and FRIENDLY places on the web.
By the way, Marshall's bullets are pretty darn good!;)

Welcome!

Chris~

·
Registered
311 Posts
Now ID shooter, If I remember right , you're a college kid and everyone knows they have more money and time than any other people.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Old Jim,
I am in college, but I'm not a kid! I graduated from high school over twenty years ago. That translates into "broke" because mom & dad aren't paying, I am!:D

So far I don't have financial aid because I made too much money last year (they base it off of last year's tax returns). So it's a little tight. But that's all right, it'll be worth it in the long run!

Even if I was rich I'd still enjoy hearing about everyone's "exploits"!!:p

See ya, ID

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,

I feel most welcome. I think this WILL be fun.

Yes, DOK, that's quite a welcome. My engineering field doesn't exactly fit the three you mention. I'm a controls engineer. It's sort-of a combination of computer, electrical, and a little mechanical engineering. I do control systems for factory automation. We controls engineers may just be the most whacked, I don't know. Then again, some of those software guys.....;)

Hey, how can you tell the difference between an introverted engineer and an extroverted engineer?

An extroverted engineer looks at YOUR shoes when he speaks to you!:p

Live well, design something.

·
Registered
311 Posts
IDshooter,
Been there done that. Have a lot of respect for anyone willing to try that. Tried going back to Vet school at about age 35. Looked like it was a go until I realized that I would be about 42 before I saw any income. Two kids and one coming changed my mind. Been printing since.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ID Shooter,

I realize success comes to people in different ways. Please allow me to empathize with you and share my experience.

I, too, started college years after high school. I was too immature for college when I graduated HS, so I joined Uncle's Army instead. Uncle helped me with the maturity issues in his own special ways. When it was time for college, I attended a private trade school instead of a traditional college. Uncle gave no GI bill at that time so I borrowed the money for school with guaranteed student loans. I went to ITT Technical Institute and graduated in 3 years with Bachelor of Applied Science in Automated Manufacturing Technology. My first job after ITT instantly doubled any previous wage, and improvement came swiftly and regularly. My education at ITT was far and away the best investment I ever made. My wife stays at home now with our 4 children, like it should be. In my opinion, higher education is not a mistake.

My message to you is: Be encouraged, and GO 4 IT!

Live well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome!

Big Redhead-

Glad to see you here at Beartooth. We exchanged e-mails a while back in regards to your Hunter Scout mount that you had made for the Marlin Lever Actions. I was the guy who asked if it was possible to make one for my Winchester '94 in .356 Winchester.

Just curious if you've had time to work on one for a Winchester? If not, no big deal as I understand that you are probably swamped with orders for mounts that fit the Marlin.

Again, glad to see you over here at Beartooth Bullets Shooters Forum.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dutch4122,

It's good to hear from you again. I'm sorry, but I have not worked on the Hunter Scout mount for your Big-Bore 94 yet. A lot of things are going on right now, not the least of which is deer hunting. I really need to quit this job and work full time on shooters' needs, but they give me a good paycheck quite regularly, and I have insurance, and I have a big family, and.....:) I really need to have gun, scope, and rings in-hand do do it. Did you say in your emails that you live in Michigan too? Let's get together after the deer holidays and get this thing going, unless you don't have another gun to hunt with and you need the mount before 11/15. THAT constitutes an emergency, in which case we need to do whatever it takes, and NOW! :)

Live well, hunt whitetailed deer!

·
Registered
204 Posts
No need to rush on the mount!

Big Redhead-

No hurry for this deer season. I have the .356 sighted in and ready to go for November 15th. I'm sure we can get together once things settle down for you a bit.

I've been waiting until things may have slowed down for you on the Hunter Scout orders for the Marlin owners.

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Just send me an e-mail when you are ready and we can work out a day that I can bring the gun to you (I live just north of Flint). I already have one of the Burris 1-4x scout scopes mounted on the gun (in a Burris Scout Mount) so I'll just pick up a set of rings and we can set it up once the mount is finished.

Thanks again and good luck this November!

-Matt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Great to have you aboard!! It's amazing the pool of backgrounds and knowledge represented by the members here on the Shooters Forum. As you can already probably tell, the people here are awesome, and we've got a great crew of moderators who are very dedicated to keeping this an inviting, friendly experience.

Again, it's great to have you, and I look forward to seeing your posts in the very near future.

Best Regards,

Alex Stanton

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Big Redhead, Welcome from another newibe and vet. Thanks for your time before Uncle got me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts