Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, id like to start by intrducing myself, my name is craig and i live in the UK.

I recently started my membership to a gun club that shoots anything from .22 rim fire upwards. At the club there is a 800 yard range for the long range shooting and this is what i would like to be able to be able to do some day. I shall write down what my inteded rifle set would be and if someone could let me know if this is going to be suitable.

Remington 700 SPS tactical or SPS stainless in .308 calibre. Mounted on top will be a Bushnell Elite 6500 with sniper style turrets 4.5-30x50 scope.
My ammo will be homeloads that i will be taught how to do when a full member of the club. Is this rifle going to be capable of reaching the 800 yards and if so how accurate will it be or how accurate is IT capable of being.

My other question is MOA. I dont fully understand the calculations of turret adjustment and everytime i ask somebody they fob me off with an answer i cant understand so that leads me to believe they dont really know either lol.

for example if i was zero'd in at 100 yards and my target is 500 yards i know that a scope with 1 click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards would give me a hit 5 inchs within the target but i dont understand how this works out can someone explain this for me please.

Using the example i gave above if my target was at 500 yards and i know i need to know the bullet trajectory drop to be able to calculate this but for number sake say it dropped by 4 inchs, how does one calculate how many clicks i need to adjust to dial in correctly? Id really appreciate it if someone could tell me how many clicks and how they acutally work it out please.

thanks craig

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If I understand your question correctly the answer is fairly simple in the theory, but in practice is a litle different. Here goes, a 1/4 inch click at 100 yards, is 1/2 inch at 200 yards. Twice the difference in length of the shot equals twice the width of the shot, its the same angle just farther from the starting point.
By this, a click at 400 yards equals 1 inch so a 1 1/4 inch per click should be expected at 500 yards. That is the theory.

In practice it works out a little different due to manufacturing tolerances, inaccuracies in ballistics charts, barrel and chamber tolerance issues and several other factors. The point is that you have to shoot a bit to see what is actually going to happen with your rifle and load.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Gene

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum. MOA is very simple. If your scope is set for 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards, this same adjustment will be 1/2 at 200 yards and 3/4 inch at 300 yards and 1 inch at 400 yards. So if you are shooting at 400 yards and your rifle hits 25 inches low at that range, you would make a 25 click adjustment. Just keep adding another 1/4 inch for each 100 yards. Mark your scope turret for your zero so you can always turn back to the same spot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The US Military as well as many long range shooters have used the .308 (7.62). (WHEN I say long range, I am referring to Palma matches which are at 1000 yards.
The 308 is certainly capable, however it is not optimal.
You will find that as the bullet travels down range, it will lose velocity. When selecting your long range caliber, you need to be sure that the bullet will remain supersonic throughout its flight. The lower the velocity, the greated affect the wind will have on the bullet path. Ergo, a cartridge selection such as the 30X338 (30 cal bullet with a 338 case) that has a higher muzzle velocity will translate into less windage influence.
Bob Nisbet
Redstone Arsenal
Supporting the US Army

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any other calibres that would be better than the .308 for this long range shooting that is more than capable of reaching 1000 yards .

craig

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
this better answered by nthose with experience shooting that long.. but you last question was in a way answered..in some of the answer post..
for paper the caliberr you chose can be alrite ..but for hunting thick skinned game at least ,,might not be the best..check out 338 mabe..
remember im just going by knowledge shared on this forum..4-5 hundred w,30 06,,
was my limit on a pretty large paper target..this when i made an effort to shoot long ..welcome..:)slim
do know a man that can go 800 with his m1,,but eds been to camp perry an everything..

·
Registered
13 Posts
the question that makes the answer to your question i believe should be how readily available is shooting supplies in the uk? i shoot a remington 700 300 win mag with a fair amount of custom work to the action and trigger. i do not shoot 1000 yds regularly but i have with what i concidered good results. the key to your situation will be shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot. elevation is only half the game. scratch that, not even half the game when your at that distance. you must learn how to read the wind. look at the land AT YOUR TARGET DISTANCE!!! a wind in your face can easily be wind cross left or right or tail wind at your target. look for grass blowing, heat rising, ect. learn the wind and you have it made. happy shooting!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys for the posts, i shall not be hunting at all with this .308 cal rifle it will only be used on paper targets so maybe the .308 will be suffient for me. the 800 yard range is not always shot on, its only shot on if there is enough people at th range wanting to do it and if there isnt then the 600 yard range is used for full bore day.

i have a 4-5 month learning period b4 i can be made a full member of the club, and within this time i get given a mentor at the club and this guy or girl will be the one to teach me all that they know and let me experiment with there rifles or anybodys elses at the club. There is 2 guys there that i know of one with a .338 and one with a 243 both enjoy shooting the long range stuff very much so hopefully i will get one of them as my mentor and ill absorb all their info on this.Im very much looking forward to learning all that i can about long range shooting, reading the wind, being able to take all these things into consideration and being able to adjust properly.

craig

·
Registered
47 Posts
Craig, I used to shoot long range high power matches alot before I moved. The .308 is more than adequate for the task. 90% of the guys that I shot with used it. I know that most had gone with the 175 grain Sierra MK's or Berger VLD's. Average velocity was about 2650 FPS. At 800 yds. your going to have 208.1 inches of drop, 374.4 inches at 1000. I just baselined my calculations, I don't know your exact conditions in Britain. You have to know if your scope can adjust for that amount of drop. If it can't, then you can either find a scope that has more adjustment, or use a tapered base. I can tell you from my own experience that 20 power is about as high as you will want to go on your scope, anything more than that and the mirage really works against you. I have a 6-24x50 Burris Black Diamond on my match rifle, and at 1000 yds. I would keep it between 16X and 20X depending on the conditions. You can save some money by dropping down on the magnification on your scope. Although you should get the best glass that you can afford. At long range, clarity and brightness are more important than sheer magnification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts