Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just moved to big old Texas fem the Uk and Im pretty new to guns but very keen to start hunting! I have a Colt AR15 and need to buy a rifle scope for it. Im completely overwhelmed by the huge volume of models and makes. Someone advised me the Nikon Prostaff are decent but there are so many varieties.

Could someone please suggest a rifle scope under $300 that they consider is a decent scope? I have a Colt AR15 and want to use it for hunting....hogs, deer, turkey etc.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Being a woman I don't want to end up in Cabelas and be sold a rubbish one as it would be clear I have no idea! PS very keen to learn if anyone could also explain what the numbers etc mean in scope names?

Jazz

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
Welcome.

The Nikon would work fine, as would the Leupold scopes in that price range, and probably a half dozen other makes / models in that price range.

I'm going to move your thread to the scopes forum where it might get some more focused responses.

Don't think the folks in Cabela's would steer you wrong, in any case.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Welcome to the USA and to the world of shooting.

What to recommend is tough because everyone has their opinions. Two brand names that are personal favorites are Leupold and Nikon. I've seen lots of good comments on the Prostaff. Nikon is very good glass for the dollar spent.

Concerning the. numbers, for example 3x9x40; would be a variable with 3x as its low setting and 9x as its highest setting. The 40 is objective lens diameter. I'd consider 3x9x40 a good choice for what you are intending to do with the rifle.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have the Nikon P-223 3-9x40 on my AR, I like it just fine, good scope for the $ spent.

Reactions: jazzleigh20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys thank you so much. I really appreciate your comments. From what you have said I will go for the Nikon pro staff, I will try and decide what model is best, I'm guessing the higher the price the better :)

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum and also to the US of A! AS far as considering a scope to purchase, there are lots of options as you've already said and lots of variables involved. While a 3-9x40 scope is almost always a decent & versatile choice, I'm not sure it would be your best option. High magnification is not always needed in typical hunting situations and your choice of cartridge does not, IMHO, lend itself to long-range shooting of either deer or hogs. So as an alternative to the 3-9x40 I'd suggest looking at a 2-7x32(33) and even a couple lower powered scopes like a 1-4 or similar.

I've owned a good number of scopes, among them many Leupolds and Nikons. The Nikon Prostaff is a good value/$$, but at the $300. mark, I'd look at something a bit better. Specifically, I'd suggest you look at the 2-7x33 VX2 Leupold, the Nikon Monarch 3 in 2-8x32 and especially the Nikon Monarch 3 in 1-4 with #4 reticle. That low powered Nikon will be perfectly adequate for deer & hogs to 200+ yards, while the low power and #4 reticle will make target acquisition a dream for anyone, especially a new hunter.

Keep in mind that high magnification is not always a plus for a hunter, especially a hunter pursuing big game. Most hunting can be done with a scope with a max of 4X and lower power and scopes giving a large FOV, are always a help at typical hunting ranges. A fella named Jack did a good bit of hunting and writing and he managed to be pretty darn successful using scopes of 2, 2.5 and 4X for most ALL of his big game hunting.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Reactions: CCAguns

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome to Texas.....bet you think WE have an accent. I think you would be happy with a scope in the 1-4×24 to 2-7×33. They are lighter and have ample magnification for most of what you are hunting, hogs and turkey are not long range hunting, neither is most deer hunting in TX especially with .22 cal. Also some AR's have rail mounts that require extended eye relief scopes. I mounted a 1-4×24 scope on my Mini-14 and the low light performance is unbelievable. I love Nikon (but not the Prostaff) here is a good buy (or pick around the site). Good luck.
Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch 3 Riflescope | SWFA

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Welcome to the USA and Texas from the United Kingdom:D

I have spent many happy hours in Texas and a nicer bunch of folks you'll be hard to meet, particularly in the hunting fraternity.

I am going to be right off message here but knowing the terrain in Texas, unless you happen on a pipeline then ranges are going to be closer to you than 100yrds. Hogs, javelin, deer and even coyotes are going to appear from the mesquite and prickly pear(watch out for those boogers) sometimes at very close quarters and if I had the rifle you have I would be fitting it initially with a red dot scope, there are some good ones at very reasonable prices and then add any of the scopes the guys have mentioned beforehand. I have just fitted a red dot to my 8x57 double rifle and now moved it to my Encore and it happily shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at 100yrds no problem and that is all you need on any of the above.
Look forward to hearing more of your escapades on here. Some pictures and reports in the Game Pole etc. I am very jealous indeed because I miss my visits to Texas very much.

Welcome to the friendliest forum I have ever been on.

If you are in the Austin area have a run up South Lamar you'll find a very good gun shop up there. Helpful, knowledgeable people. As said, I also have always found the staff at Cabela's very helpful, remember, you survive very much on your reputation in the States. They don't take prisoners :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
While I have used a majority of scopes on the market such as Leopold, Redfield, TC, Nikon, Sheppard and many many more best bang for the buck has been the Vortex. Thier optics rival the top brands for clarity and light gathering. They also have a life long warranty if the optics should fail providing it has not been abused. I currently have one on a 308 Remington Varminter that out performs my $800 Sheppard which I paid only $239 for. They come with a choice of V-Plex Mildot or BDC (bullet drop compensator). They make scopes every for hunting and shooting application you can want including crossbow.
I use the BDC on my 308 and 300 win mag and they perform outstanding and spot on so far at ranges of 100-500 yards for the 308 and out to 800 yards with the 300 win mag. They do carry a line made for the AR platforms also. You can check them out at vortexoptics.com.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the United States and welcome to owning a rifle that 99% of the rest of the world will not allow law-abiding people to own. I doubt it will take you long to understand why we Yanks love our guns and our Freedom so much...

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I am a Leupold man for the last 40 years or so but for what your asking, I would take a hard look at those Bushnell rifle scopes. I put them up against the Leupold and Nikon last year and the Bushnell were brighter all the way through the power rating 3 to 9 power and 5 to 15 power.;)

·
The Shadow
7,692 Posts
You can search my name for my reviews on this board.
For $230, the Primary Arms 4-14x FFP mil-mil scope has the glass quality of 99% of the $800 scopes out there.

·
Registered
883 Posts
jazzleigh,

Save another C note & do an OpticsPlanet.com | Low Prices, Free S&H on Binoculars, Sunglasses, Night Vision Goggles, Riflescopes, Flashlights, Rangefinders - Hunting, Outdoor, Science & Military 10% off sale. That way you'll be Annie Oakleying by the last round of your first magazine.

Wise advice that was taught to me when I more interested in important stuff: if you're puttin' together lifesavin' & huntin' outfits, start with best quality essentials you can afford. It'll save you a lot of embarrassing confessions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Been some good suggestions made to you and all would probably be OK to buy. Personally, I'd prefer a variable scope at least 12X or maybe 16X at its highest power. No, its not your basic power scope used for hunting, as noted by earlier suggestions to you. I assume you'll be doing target shooting at a range. Higher power should allow you to see your bullet holes in a target at 100 yds without needing use of a spotting scope and etc. Can't recall number of times I've watched at range I'm a member, some AR shooter with a nice, somewhat expensive, low power scope on it, having to use binoculars/spotting scope to check his target. I've discussed low vs. higher power scopes for hunting a number of times with fellow range members that have hunted for a very long time. Sure, a 3-9 scope and on an AR type rifle something lower in power is the preferred one used for hunting., But most saw nothing wrong with using a higher power scope that is a variable with a 3X or 4X at its lowest power.

I have a good regard for Weaver optics, owning a number of them. Among their lines of rifle scopes are the Kaspa and 40/44 models. All are priced well under your $300 budget. Decent glass in them. I'd suggest one of them that is a variable up to 12X/16X that also has a side or A.O. parallax adjustment for distance you'd be shooting.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The highest power scope I own is a 30 year old 2x7 Burris Compact and I can easily see .22 holes on a target at 100 yards, even on lower than 7X, at my advanced age.

·
Registered
875 Posts
New to USA & Need Advice on Scope Under $300

Hi, Jazz!

Welcome to the USA and to our hunting/shooting fraternity!

You've been given lots of advice here and I'm certain it's somewhat confusing. I have a Colt AR-15 in .223 and I would definitely vote for Leupold's 2-7x33mm. By the way, that means 2 power to 7 power variable with a 33mm objective lens. Nothing wrong with the ProStaff, but Nikon makes a better quality scope. In optics, you usually get what you pay for. With the AR-15, the scope is mounted fairly high so objective size doesn't really matter. But it's a heavy rifle, and a heavy scope will make carrying it a chore. If you shoot only from a bench or shooting house, the weight won't be a negative.

The big picture offered by the Leupold is what sold me on it. I have the VX-1 model 2-7x33 on my Ruger Ranch rifle, another .223, and I really like those scopes. They should be in your price range.

Enjoy your rifle!:)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
If your looking also for the very best Warranty, then a Leupold is the rifle scope of choice. I have personally trashed two of their scopes on hunting trips and they gave me a brand new Leupold scope both times. They have the very best warranty in the shooting industry bare none.;) :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scope answer

Hello, I just purchased a new scope that matches and exceeds the quality of my $900 weaver classic extreme for $349. Google Tac Vector Ooptics, model scol-03 paragon. I paid $349 for the illuminated model, but they have lower power scopes for less. German made lenses...fabulous scope. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts