Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any experience with Hi-Point pistols? I just recieved my first permit to purchase. My brother in law sells Hi-Point pistols. I am looking at a .40 and a .....45 the low price scares me, under $200. Any complaints or praises for Hi-Point? I found your site while looking up a comparison between .40 and .45 started by leon miller. Ifound the thread most informative, and have decided from the responses that I would go for a .45.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The Hi-Points can be pretty reliable, but you really don't get much for your money. They are hard to shoot accurately, bulky and heavy, they have lots of sharp and unpleasant edges, the slide is goshawful hard to work -- in short, it is a cheap gun in every sense of the word.

If you look around a few pawn and gun shops, you might find, pretty easily, an old police trade-in S&W Model 10 .38 revolver. And if your are really lucky, it might look rough but be mechanically excellent, and cost you very little more than the Hi-Point. That way, you will have a gun you can depend on and enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply. It is an ugly weapon, I was just hoping that function would beat form. Im on a tight budget with 4 children, and it would be nice to have an inexpensive home defence piece other than my bow, or 12 gauge.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Don't overlook that 12 gauge, you might consider getting a short, maybe 18" barrel and keeping it handy, there have been a couple good articles I've read lately about keeping a shotgun for self defense, especially in situations where over-penetration of walls could be a problem

·
Registered
352 Posts
Look at their carbine. I'm going to pick one up for plinking and to keep next to the bed. It's alot better feeling than the pistol. I put one on lay away last month for $239. The new model has a front rail system for hanging stuff on.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i agree with jb on the home protection..
now regarding high point..functional guns in my opinion.. not a collector gun .. but they can be learned.. thats really what its all about ..in my opinion.. i also give functional the top priority..if i was gonna buy a semi auto.. thats the direction id go..now if i win the lottery. it might be sig or kimber ..slim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for your comments. Being as I own an 1100 12 guage, a mossberg pump 20, I think I will buy the Hi-Point .45.. You can never have too many guns. I do not own any handguns yet. Its a hole in my arsenal I need to fill. If the fit hits the shan Id rather be prepared. I don't know about you guys, but the climate out there makes me nervous. It's a scary time to raise children. I just want to know they are always well protected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best bet with a Hi-Point would be to watch the classifieds. Many people get laughed at once at the range and try to sell-off immediately. The .45 retails for about $150 new so it would not be unreasonable to expect a fairly new one in the $90-$125 range, and at that price you can use some of the money saved for more ammo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Personally, I'd save a little more and buy something of better reputation and quality. A good used 38 can be found for 250 and under. S&W has some semiauto models priced to compete with taurus. Same advice I've given to several of my friends who have asked about hi points. For plinking only it would be fine but as a home defense weapon, I'd have to pass. Just my .02. Best of luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took my C9 out today, 13 degrees,lead rn reloads,NO FTF or FTF at all.Do I carry it? No I don't like the safety.But For A home gun.....

I also have a Llama 380,Ruger Sr40,Ruger SR9c,HP 40cal,numerous revolvers,......I am waiting for a burgler......

·
Registered
153 Posts
Amen

JMO too. When your life or others might be on the line, you want nothing left to chance.
I agree with the Marshal. I see a lot of good, used guns on the market that are good brand and quality made that won't break anyone's bank. I don't want to worry that, if I need to use a weapon, it will blow up in my hands. I just can't find anything to trust in some makes.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Search you tube for Hi Point torture test.

These guys decided they wanted to know what it would take to destroy a Hi Point 9mm. The posted their tests online.
I was stunned!
What they did to this pistol, no one intheir right minds would ever think of doing, but that was their purpose. Overloads, bore obstructions, you name it, they did it and taped the tests.
Some higher priced Austrian pistols would have shattered long before that Hi Point finally took a break.

That being said, I dont think Id ever buy a Hi Point as they are hideously ugly.
Think Ill stick with my Rugers and not drive lag bolts down the barrels.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I did some homework on Hi-Point firearms after my dad bought my son a Model 995TS (9mm carbine) for Christmas this year. All of the reviews were positive, with one of them reporting 3600 rounds through the action and only a single failure to cycle, which he admitted was because he tried to ease the slide forward, instead of releasing it. Not a single FTF in 3600 rounds?? That's reliable enough for me.

We've only put ~100 rounds through his gun, so far, but it has been flawless and the accuracy really surprised me! At 50 yards, my son printed a 5-shot group that only made 3 holes...and he's still using open sights! Granted, this was from a solid rest, but for less than $250, I can't hardly bring myself to be critical of anything on this little gun. OK, the cheek piece on the tactical stock is too far back, causing the split in the plastic to scratch a little under the light recoil. A leather or moleskin wrap is in order, but that's the only bad thing I can say about the 995TS. If their pistols function just as well and that is what your budget allows, I can't think of a reason not to buy one.

They ARE ugly as home-made sin, but in the dark, I don't think the BG will notice or complain.

·
Registered
968 Posts
> have decided from the responses that I would go for a .45.

Since I am probably getting the .40 carbine anyways, I did a bit more research since you started the topic. Some of the people on the following forum love the .40 and hate the .45 because of the recoil and such. They say the .40 aims better.

Searching for "tea cup" and "limp wrist" will pull up the topics about .40 vs .45.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/board,4.0.html

> Im on a tight budget with 4 children

Since you have a tight budget, I will go out on a limb here. Get the .40 with the laser for under $200 (have your relative get the discount) and get reloaded ammo for it, $25 per 100. It will not be concealable, generally speaking. The "hard" holster for the laser .40 will be expensive.

But, it would be great for carrying around the house in a side holster and always be on you. You can throw a long shirt over it for concealed carry off your property, but, it would be obvious when looking at you. But, it would be "concealed" if you have to met that tenant of the local law.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not for me.....

Back in October, 2010, out of curiosity, I went to an area hardware store in Chippewa Falls, WI, following an add for a Hi-Point. They were offering in 9mm, .40 Cal and .45 Cal.

I've seen a lot of pistols that "really needed work" to make them "comfortable" for service, but I was NOT IMPRESSED WITH THESE PISTOLS. I wouldn't take them out to the back yard to shoot hogs (or anything that my life might depend on). In "new" condition, I personally wouldn't depend my life or anyone else's on their functionality! I have NOT shot one--------they look like it might be a "blow-up" in progress----even if it did fire! One would be much better off sticking to "main-line" brands!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Back in October, 2010, out of curiosity, I went to an area hardware store in Chippewa Falls, WI, following an add for a Hi-Point. They were offering in 9mm, .40 Cal and .45 Cal.

I've seen a lot of pistols that "really needed work" to make them "comfortable" for service, but I was NOT IMPRESSED WITH THESE PISTOLS. I wouldn't take them out to the back yard to shoot hogs (or anything that my life might depend on). In "new" condition, I personally wouldn't depend my life or anyone else's on their functionality! I have NOT shot one--------they look like it might be a "blow-up" in progress----even if it did fire! One would be much better off sticking to "main-line" brands!
I'm guessing you don't read many old books that are missing their dust jacket, eh? :rolleyes:

Have you not shot an M1 Carbine, 7.62x52R Mosin-Nagant, or any of dozens of other old, ugly service weapons? Ever drive a beat up ol' pickup truck or date a lady who wasn't a dead ringer for Cheryl Ladd? (OK, now I'm dating myself!) :D

Point is, what does it matter what they "look like"? Those pistols that you dismiss with complete disdain function very well for thousands of shooters, on a regular basis. What is this country coming to when people won't even touch something unless it costs $500 and has some well-known brand name on it? Furthermore, why would you offer an opinion on a gun that you have never put so much as a single round through? Hopefully the OP is wise enough to afford your post the consideration it deserves.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Every thread on Hi-Point pistols does two things. One, it drags the carbines into the discussion. Having handled both, I would give the opinion that the carbines are a world apart. They are simple if not attractive, and simply work. I wouldn't be embarrassed to keep one behind the truck seat or in the corner....

The handguns are another matter entirely. Don't confuse the two if you haven't handled both (I have).

Second thing that invariably happens is an insulting match get started. Don't.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts