Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've not yet started to handload, but have been gathering equipment and information. A while back I stumbled upon a thread where someone mentioned a powder that, according to the manufacturer, can be loaded to max capacity in any rifle case and be decreased from there by up to 30%.

As far as I can remember the person posting stated that even at full capacity velocities are pretty low.

Does anybody know if this powder really exists?

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sounds like "Trail Boss", it's intended use is Cowboy Action Shooting, and it's for lead bullets only as far as I'm aware?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
I think you are hearing about Hodgdon H4895. Might want to go on the Hodgdon web site and see if it would be useful for whatever cartridges you are thinking of reloading.

I have not tried reduced loads with it, myself.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Wondering if you might have been reading about black powder? I'm not particular sure of the 30% thought though.

I can load anything I own with a case full of black (then dump a little out so as to get the bullet to seat). I used a coffee mug for a powder measure.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Trail Boss is a very low density powder (takes up a LOT of room for the weight) that can be used in most cartridges with cast or jacketed bullets. It can be used from 70% of a full case to 100% but should NOT ever be compacted. It gives low velocity.

Hodgdon 4895 can be used from full charge WEIGHT (which is NOT the same as a case full!) to as little as 60% of that WEIGHT. It gives normal to about 2/3 velocity.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Rocky -

Does IMR 4895 have the same trait?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Not as much, in my opinion. It can be reduced, but not as far as the H variety. In my limited trials (many years ago) it seemed like the extreme spreads got dramatically higher with the IMR flavor as the load was reduced. The Hodgdon just hung in there with about the same spread and SD right down to 60% of max - which is as far as I went. I no longer have the raw data (hey, I could be a climate scientist, huh?) but I think I'd not go below 80% of max with IMR 4895.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trail Boss was it! I never would have remembered that name without reading it. It looks like the other powders you listed are great candidates as well, I'm going to contact the manufacturers and see what they think.

I'm a little unsure as to whether Trail Boss is only intended for handgun cartridges. I am hoping to use it for light 45-70, 30-06, and possibly 9.3x62 plinking/practice loads.

As a beginner it's nice to know that you can't go wrong with the load as long as you don't compress the powder.

Marc

·
Registered
388 Posts
Rocky -

Does IMR 4895 have the same trait?

I loaded some 165 plain base and 173 gas check bullets over 18gr of IMR-4895 in 30-30 and they shot dirty but velocity was very consistent and they were fairly accurate for a 50yd plinking round- about the same accuracy and velocity as 7.0gr of Unique which was close to 1" center-to-center at 50yd. That gave around 1200fps out of a 20" carbine. I got the load from an old issue of Handloader. That's a 57% reduction if you use IMR's data of a max load for a 170gr bullet at 31.5g.

I've never tried such a reduced load in a larger capacity case though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts