Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
484 Posts
The Citation will handle any .22 LR, although I might hesitate to shoot hyper velocity rounds in it if it were mine. The best competition loads are the specialized (and expensive) target rounds that are intended for pistol matches. They are usually not available in sporting goods stores these days and would probably be easiest to obtain online.

The standard velocity .22 LR loads that you can buy at WalMart and other stores work well, too. You can buy them in bulk packages of 400 or so. I think the Winchesters are called "Xpert" and the Remingtons are "Target" or something similar to that. They will serve well for most target matches.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
I find the best reliability comes from CCI Standard Velocity rounds, the worst from Remington. CCI's Pistol Match (Green Tag) is good quality, but pistol match loads are generally reduced power to cut down on recoil during timed and rapid fire. The longer barrel time means your follow-through has to be extra good shooting them, so I don't find they are any more accurate in my Rugers. They are a little easier on the gun itself, though. I haven't run any through my Marvel conversion and don't recall how they did in the K-22, or if I even tried them in that gun? In any event, it may be a moot question. Most .22's prefer one brand over another, sometimes for no apparent reason. Your best bet it to get single boxes of several brands of standard velocity loads and see what it shoots best. The subsonic hollow points do well most of the time in one of my guns, but seen to throw a flier in every box somewhere. Worth trying, though.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
As is often the case, there is no pat answer to "which is best?". You simply have to try a bunch of different loads and see which one shoots best in your gun. It will not necessarily be a high-priced target load -- such loads can be a good place to start looking, but sometimes a gun will shoot better with the cheap bulk-packed ammo most folks consider plinking fodder.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
ammo

CCI Standard Velocity rounds,
+1 about that. The CCI SV and the Federal 711 both work very well in my H-S Victor, as accurate as any of the high priced ammo that I have tried. Also, I have had success with Aquila SV over the last year.
Your mileage may vary.
Pete

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I was shooting bullseye we used a lot of Rem Thunderbolt......ya yer reading right....it shot well from my HS Citation but there were times we had duds in that ammo......shot low end Federal "match" ammo too, can't remember the exact name and it was OK. Ended up putting a Volquartson BBL on it so I could add a reddot sight cuz my old eyes needed the assistance to keep up with the younger ones. I didn't want to drill and tap my original bbl.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,954 Posts
Years ago, owned one of the High Standard "space guns" (Supermatic Citation Model 102 with the 10 1/4" bbl, integral muzzle break and sliding weights in grooves on underside of barrel) and it was fed a regular diet of the standard velocity ammo in competitive shooting for years. At one time, figured at least 125,000 rounds had been fired in it with no mechanical breakdown, only exception being a sear replacement.

Reactions: JBelk
1 - 7 of 7 Posts