Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a high standard 12 guage that I bought new in 1973. Can anyone tell me about the quality or lack thereof of this gun and what happened to the company that manufactured it. Has not been used much and is in 90% condition as a result. Good looking gun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your High Standard shotgun is a fine weapon. The quality is as good as any of the top American brands, Ithica, Remington etc. The action should be extremely smooth also.
Overall the various HS shotguns high quality, well designed shotguns that sold at a resonable cost. Today you can find them in 75 to 95% condition for $125 to 200.00 if you shop around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more questions on high std

thank you for the info! Yes, it has a smooth action and I like it every bit as good as my 870. Why don't they make them anymore? What happened? I bought it brand new for $65! I think it is an attractive gun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm looking at an even older one (12 ga. semi "Field Classic") and I can't find barely any info on them. They went out of biz a long while ago and .22 side was purchased but not the shotgun part. Speaking of parts, I'm concerned that they may be hard to find, if at all.

Curious if anyone else out there with a High Standard would care to comment on their experience with theirs? I'm looking to refurbish mine despite the low value, I like the look and the "patina" you could say? I'm looking for a solid workhorse of a goose-gun, so I'm taking a chance on having it redone. If nothing else, I'll have a unique piece for the field when I'm done.

·
Banned
151 Posts
JDJ375 said:
I'm looking at an even older one (12 ga. semi "Field Classic") and I can't find barely any info on them. They went out of biz a long while ago and .22 side was purchased but not the shotgun part. Speaking of parts, I'm concerned that they may be hard to find, if at all.

Curious if anyone else out there with a High Standard would care to comment on their experience with theirs? I'm looking to refurbish mine despite the low value, I like the look and the "patina" you could say? I'm looking for a solid workhorse of a goose-gun, so I'm taking a chance on having it redone. If nothing else, I'll have a unique piece for the field when I'm done.
oh i have a low standard, a girl with low standards, gotta love em ahahahaha come on someone had to make the joke

·
Banned
434 Posts
Cochran:

High Standard closed their doors in 1983. They produced some of the finest quality handguns,shotguns, and rifles ever made in the USA. During WWII they made 50 caliber machine guns, obviously, greatly contributing to our final victory. After the war their major product was their 22 handguns, both sporting and target. You still can't find a better quality target pistol tha a High Standard from the era of the late 50's thru the 70's.

A lot of things contributed to their downfall, high production costs, the 1968 gun control act, which prohibited direct mail order sales, the introduction of the Ruger pistol which sold for only $37.50, and the fact that they perhaps got themselves to deeply tied to Sears, a customer that was a very hard taskmaster. They were in fact the major firearm R&D and manufacturer for Sears. This was probably the reason that they branched out into shotguns and rifles.

It's interesting to look at High Standard's Dura-Matic pistol. Sears wanted a cheap handgun. However, even though the design is simple, the workers at the High Standard Hamden plant simply could not make something that was "cheap". The Dura-Matic actually is also typical of High Standard's great quality.

Your shotgun is thus very well made by craftsmen who really cared about quality.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
High Standard

They made fine pump shotguns. My brother bought a J.C. Higgins Model 20 (made by High Standard) in used condition in 1960 for $40. He still hunts with it today. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
185 Posts
I have a JC Higgins model 20, which is a High Standard weapon. It looks like a Flite King but with a different trigger guard. Mine in a non takedown model, that I bought for $125 in poor condition. I have completely refinished it. It has a 4# trigger job, receiver sights, parkerized finish, and a marine varnish on the stock. I only have a total of $255 invested in it, and I would not sell it. They make great slug guns. Greg

·
Banned
34 Posts
Totally agree with your slug gun comment Greg. I bought a lightly used and really ugly model 20 about 5 years ago for $60. I stripped several coats of paint, stain and varnish off the wood, finished it with an oil stock and then did a camo job on the steel. It looks good, shoots better and the action is tight and very smooth.

It has a 20" riot barrel with a vent rib so I bought some Williams sights that attach to the rib. As a smoothbore, it's more accurate than a Remington 1100 with a similar barrel I used to own. My primary slug gun is a Mossberg with cantilever scope mount rifled barrel, but the model 20 gets the call if there's moisture in the air.

While attending a deer hunting seminar a few years back, I learned that there a big difference between the diameters of slugs from brand to brand and that Winchester generally had the largest diameter. They definitely shoot the best in my open bore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts