Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!  

As this is my first post, let me say how useful and interesting I find this forum.  So many of you come across as exemplars of the inteligent, warm people I know in the non-cyber gun culture and the freedom movement.  Thank you all so much!

As to my query...  My wife has owned an HK P7- M13 autoloader for many years.  As some may know, this handgun uses a gas-delayed slide.  The gas port is at 6 'o-clock at the point where the chamber's throat begins.  Further, the P7 has a polygonal-rifled bore.

Do either or both of these elements preclude the effective use of cast bullets?

Thanks in Advance

J.E. Andreasen
Tempe, AZ    

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I won't say unequivocately that your H&K is a no-go with cast, as each firearm can be a rule unto itself, but the two features you mentioned make accurate and clean use much more difficult. A fellow I know carried a P7-M8 for several years, shooting it on a regular basis. I distinctly remember him saying cast loads never shot well in his gun and fouling was a problem. Give it a go but don't be surprised if the results are less than impressive.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
My opinion is that gas-check bullets would be your only hope.  The gas bleeding off into the port would likely melt a bit of the bullet base as it goes past the port.  There were some other discussions on the forum regarding cast bullets in ported rifles, which is basically the same problem.

As for polyagonal rifling... don't see where this would make a huge difference.  

My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I concur with Mike concerning the gas-checked bullets.  You'll have some gas cutting and base erosion from the gas port on the base of a plain based or bevel based cast bullet.  Use of a gas checked bullet would preclude this problem.

You might, over time find it necessary to clean the gas port, as you will have some buildup of lead in that port with prolonged use of cast bullets, much like we encounter with our .30M1 carbines, Ruger Mini-30's and M1 Garands when shooting cast bullets.  Not to fear, the lead buildup is easily removed using a tip cleaner designed for oxygen/acetylene cutting torches!

Now about the polygonal bore.  This poses no real problem, other than getting an adequately large diameter bullet to totally fill the bore for a positive gas seal.  Glocks are supposedly not suited to cast bullets because of their similar barrel configurations, however, the key is to have properly fitted bullets, and the Glocks shoot like a house afire!  For example, most Glock 9mm's need a cast bullet of .357"-.358" to properly fit their polygonal bores.  Once this is done, they perform beautifully, and don't lead either.  I can't help but think that your wifes HK P7- M13 wouldn't be the same.

Let us know what happens with some cast in this gun!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
47 Posts
First comment, don't do it.
I tested my P-7 PSP with lead bullets quite extensively when I first picked it up.
The lead bullets will expand the base into the gas port cutting an actual chunk off with each shot. The gas port, tube and piston will eventually stop working. It does.
Plated bullets will do the same thing, so speer Gold Dots are out of the question.
Also the barrel will respond the same way as a Glock with its polygonal rifling, stripping the bullet surface and jacking up the pressures.
Some of my last lead loads ended up de-priming the fired cases as they ejected.
Just my &#36.02 worth.

·
Banned
115 Posts
whirlibird, I concur with your assessment.

No lead bullets in the p series by HK. I've owned several of those guns myself, they are some of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired or owned [ the ppk series is another ].

Besides the increased pressures using lead in polygonal bores, the gas system will fail eventually. When? It depends on the content of the cast bullets one uses. Hard lead will be less inclined to clog over time.

I don't believe it is worth the trouble to use lead in polygonal bores mysefl. Several kabooms in glocks are indirectly related to higher pressures using lead cast bullets as well with the type of rifling these use.

No, no in my mind as well.

Brownie

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have owned and carried a P7 PSP since first available (ser.# 9XXX) and shoot several thousand cast bullets per year; but NOT in the P7. I must agree with Mssrs. Lester, whirlibird and Brownie. Cast loads in the P7 are not worth the time, effort or risk. Handloads are very accurate and absolutely reliable, but jacketed only. For plinking, watch for sales on CCI Blazer at about $4 a box, making even cast bullet loads more expensive.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Concur with the above own a nickled PSP for over 10 years and it was my most accurate 9x19 ever. However, I never fired cast out of it and mine did like CCI Blazer, it gobbled up everything else.

CD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts