Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that like to get a paper copy of the basic data manuals (i get one from each supplier every year) I got the manual listed in the title and as i normally do i took the manual out of the envelope and ignored the paper enclosed! I finally got around to throwing the envelope away and as i threw it in the trash i took the enclosed paper out and noticed it was an invoice for $2.50. Hodgdon now charges a handling fee for the basic free manual in order to keep powder prices competitive. Hodgdon suggested passing on the word that the data is best obtained from their site at no cost but for those without internet access the data is available at the $2.50 handling fee from:

Hodgdon Powder Company
6231 Robinson
Shawnee Mission, KS 66202

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks for the info. But, I would prefer/suggest a hard copy of reloading data, or recipes (the more manuals the better!). I feel better when I can see the same page over and over again and take it to my bench any time. Not critisizing web sites, I've got a laptop on my bench, just my preferrances for safety's sake...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I too like paper copies of reloading data. I got my last H/WW/IMR basic manual at no cost from the store where I buy powder. They go fast, so I keep my eyes open early in the year.

Now $2.50 "to keep powder prices competative" sounds like a stretch to me. I'm not so sure I would send them a check.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not so sold on paper copies. If a paper copy has an error, you may find out about it too late to prevent a problem. Web sites are updated regularly with the newest data and any errors found are corrected. Doesn't eliminate the possibility of error, but "Once on paper, always on paper."
Moosie

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now $2.50 "to keep powder prices competative" sounds like a stretch to me. I'm not so sure I would send them a check.
I am wondering just who they are competing with...themselves perhaps? Since they have Winchester, IMR and now Goex.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
In my area, Hodgy's products' prices are already not very competitive, so paying them (again) for data with which I can safely use their product isn't something I'm likely to do. I vastly prefer hard-copy manuals, though, so this all puts them in a pretty non-competitive position all around, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
If you get on the Hodgdon site and look at the load list, note that there is a button labeled "PRINT". It is a good idea to hit it whether you are going to give the final go ahead to print a copy or not? The reason is that a preview sheet comes up showing the primer, case, trim length, barrel length and twist used in the tests. You also have the option to select one bullet weight first, to shorten the list.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm not so sold on paper copies. If a paper copy has an error, you may find out about it too late to prevent a problem. Web sites are updated regularly with the newest data and any errors found are corrected. Doesn't eliminate the possibility of error, but "Once on paper, always on paper."
Moosie
That's why a lot of us have a book shelf full of different manuals to use as a cross check.

I never just grab a load listed in any source without comparing it against one or two other reliable print or internet references.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.