Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm retired military living in South Texas (CC) . I'm also a hardcore responsible hunter that's looking for some pork ribs for the freezer. Can anyone suggest a POC or location where I can shoot some hogs for (Free)? I know there must be texas ranchers annoyed by these hogs destructive behavior. if, this is case

Please contact me, I will be honored to hunt them down and bring em home.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Welcome, and good luck. I'd start with the newspaper in your area, there always seem to be ranchers offering day hunts.

See what Parks and Wildlife has, there are public hunting areas where hogs are a nuisance. Also the feds, there are controlled hunts on Aransas NWR. Plus, sometimes you can hunt on military bases. I've done that in the past, but have no idea what the current rules are.

Get a big 'un!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hog Hunting in South Texas

Thanks for responding, will try your suggestions. It's amazing to me that these animals are so out-of-control in South Texas and cause so much property damage yet ranchers charge so much to get rid of them. Can't understand the logic.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,962 Posts
Landowners look to any source of income, just as everyone else.

Also, pay-to-hunt is so ingrained in the Texas hunting scene it is difficult to find anyone willing to accept someone coming onto their property free gratis. They have a major concern regarding the property, infrastructure and livestock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I guess I look at it a little differently, if my land were infested with Hogs, digging holes and eating my live stock source of food. I would be more then happy to allow responsible hunters on my property to get rid of as many hogs as possible for free.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
before i get so im no longer able to hunt..im going hog hunting..i live in stanly co.n.c. i hear reports of them locally more an more..the few folk i know who have done it are too busy working[a good thingthese days .huh..]..but im gonna try an work something out this winter..
good luck w you hog hunting dn texas way.slim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd suggest talking to the local game warden and feed stores. They'll probably know of someone that is able to allow hunting. This is a picture of some of the 13 small pigs I took out of one trap Friday morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

WoW! CASS That's what I'm talking about; That's what I want, ShortRibs for the Barbie.

Good Shooting

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
It's a pile of work, emptying a trap out... that's for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
One way to try and get started is to contact your local Game Warden, he will be in touch with almost all if not all ranchers, some of who will be in need of some help around the place, certainly if the ranch runs paying hunting. It doesn't always work, but an offer to help out can result in you getting to stock up on pork for free(money wise anyway). In addition this helps prove your worth and responsibility to the ranch owner. I know from experience the lengths they have to go to to cover their backs from insurance claims. The approach through your game warden or local law officer, again also helps prove you are trust worthy and genuine. We have a similar problem here in the UK and it is all down to trust. Once these landowners have had a bad experience with a 'hunter' they are going to be very shy to take on another.
In addition there are plenty of people around who will pay $1500 or so each, for a three day hunt with accomodation and food and who would turn that down ? It's tough, but keep trying every whichway and the best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts