Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on http://www.texasboars.com/

It is a suggested kill zone for a wild hogs. In my experience this is completely accurate and shooting them behind the shoulder is asking for trouble.

I do favor the head shot but in low light conditions it is not always possible.

·
Banned
105 Posts
The website is interesting. Lots of good information. It makes me want to go hog hunting! I haven't killed one since 1984. Thanks for the shot placement info. In '84 I placed my shot in the "red-zone" and the hog went down immediately. I was using a 280 Remington with 170 grain Sierra bullet. Range was about 40 yards.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Goin' Next Tuesday

Very timely, Mike!

I am going hog hunting next Tuesday, have not gone since 1997.

Last one I shot was in the neck, quick demise, but I have always been curious as to how their vital organs are arranged ( better yet, "re-arranged").

I think I will take my 94 BB XTR in 375 Win, but it is so pretty I almost hate to take it in the woods.

I think I hear squealing already...

Jimmy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best of luck. If I can't hit one in the head, I try to hit in the center of the shoulder, broadside. The spine runs pretty low under the 'hump' and quite often you break their back with this shot. Neck shots work great, but I finally realized that there is actually more meat on the neck than the shoulders, and it's good meat for making sausage.

They are mostly guts inside, from what I can tell. I ran one down on foot once so their lungs are far smaller than a deer, I can assure you.

the 375 sounds like a good way to bring home the bacon.

·
Banned
65 Posts
When I was growing up in Arkansas we used to take hogs during deer season when we would run across them, or vise versa. Back then we were mostly using shotguns with buckshot or slugs and hunting deer with dogs in pretty heavy timber and brush (greenbriar). I was put up a tree a time or two back then by those old Razorbacks (Feral hogs) and I was glad for a low branch. We had dogs killed by them on occasion.

The red kill zone looks right to me and most of the hogs we shot were either head-on or neck shots. A 12 gauge slug, even in the shoulder, was pretty effective in breaking them down, but they would still sometimes have enough steam to tear up a dog or a hunter if you weren't careful. My grandfather would not get near one until he put one in the head, no matter where else they were hit.

We hunted Texas a few years ago and I took a nice one on the Gulf Coast with a .308 in the head/neck are and put him down with one shot (broke his spine). He was as tough as the ones I remember as a kid. A great hunt, and I hope to go again soon.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Hi guys,
I've only shot one hog. I used the .308. First shot hit behind the front leg, pig took off squealing, so I gave him a "going away" shot. That dropped him but he still had some kick left. I could still see steam blowing out the front wound when I got to him so I know I hit the lungs a little anyway! I think a shoulder shot would have been quicker. It never occured to me to head-shoot them! But that would be quickest of all.

The most amazing thing to me was that this pig's companion came TOWARD me after I shot. It was a bit like a false charge; it ran toward me 'til it was about 15 ft. away, then turned and ran to it's left.

I tell you what, that was some THICK laurel we were hunting in (in Tennessee) and every rustle made me do a little dance and look for a tree with low branches! Great fun, and good eating. I got married shortly after that trip and my wife loved the chops and sausage!

IDShooter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts