Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going hog hunting at the Caryonah Lodge in a couple weeks. Has anyone here been there? I was wondering how good the place is?
I was wondering if a 300 grain .452 XTP at 1350-1400 fps would be good enough for taking a hog? I have Beartooth bullets ordered but they won't get here in time.
Thanks

<a href="http://www.caryonah.com/weapons.html" target='_blank'>http://www.caryonah.com/weapons.html</a>

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,439 Posts
Sounds pretty potent to me!

Here's a secret:  they're tough, but by no means bulletproof.  Just don't hit them too far back.  Anything behind the front leg is basically gut-shot.  I have to wonder if some of the reputation for toughness comes from people trying to lung-shoot them like a deer, which won't work.

So aim for the center of the shoulder and if anything, cheat towards the front.

Neck shot works good but ruins a lot of meat.  There is more meat on a hog's neck than a shoulder.

Another tip... the spine runs quite a bit lower through the shoulders than you'd think.  I've hit quite a few through the spine when just holding for the center of the shoulders.  High shoulder hit might not break any bones, so keep the front sight down in the lower part of the chest.  

If you're a really cool shot and you can get a steady sight picture on one that's not running, aim for the head.  It's a big target and usually down on the ground looking for something to eat (not like a deer that's always looking around).

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

·
36,439 Posts
Dang that's a big pig!  How big, how long were the tusks, how did the bullet do, etc., etc....

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not measured the tusk yet. The uppers are broken but have really big bases. the lowers are sharp and over and inch in length.
I hit him with a 300 grain XTP pushed by 22 grains of 2400.  I put this load in 45 LC cases and fired it from my SRH 454. The XTP hit the shoulder going in and blew up. They could not find a piece of the jacket and the biggest piece of lead left was the size of a number 4 buck. It dropped him so hard that he bounced. He never even attempted to get up.
For size comparison I am 5'10 and weigh 220.
The folks at the Cayonah Lodge are great I highly recommend them. The guide Doug Atkinson has 23 years of experience and knows his boar.

·
36,439 Posts
Guess they didn't weigh him?

Hogs are hard to guess the weight on, but I'd think that he was 250-300 lbs just by looking at the picture.  Maybe more - kinda hard to tell how thick the body was.

I guess you found out what the speed limit on a 300 grain XTP is.  Wow!  At least it got the job done.  Based on those results I'll be sticking with cast bullets for my hog hunting!  I've thought about the 300 grain Speer as it's a soft-nose not a hollowpoint.  Still I've had good results with cast so see no reason to change.

Good eatin'.  I just finished stuffing a batch of wild hog sausage tonight.  Let me know if you want any suggestions on cooking him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guide Doug Atkinson has 23 years of experience. I was going to use a 260 nosler he said I would be better off with the XTP because the hog would run farther if the bullet passed through. It apppears he was right at least in this case. That hog hit the ground hard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
CONGRATS THERE REDHAWK44P, WHAT WAS THE DISTANCE OF THE SHOT? I HAVE JUST RECIEVED LITERATURE ON THERE HUNTS A FEW WEEKS AGO. THINKIN OF BOOKING A HUNT FOR NEXT SPRING SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SATISFIED WITH THE SERVICE. AND THERE COST SEEM TO BE COMPETITIVE. IM SURPRIZED THE XTP GAVE UP THAT MUCH. I PREFER THE 300GR FA DESIGN FOR TUFF STUFF OR THE LBT 340GR WFN. EITHER WAY YOU AND THE LOAD GOT THE JOB DONE.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was in heavy brush. I had to get within 40 feet before I got a clear shot.
My sons hog was a runner. He had to take it from 30 yds with his SRH 44 and gold dot bullet. Even with the boar moving around he put that bullet in the hogs ten ring. That gold dot penetrated and came out a perfect mushroom. Here is a pic of his boar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts