Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the rubber coated synthetic Hogue stocks be shortened?
They discontinued the youth version, and I have an extra stock I want to refit for a smaller shooter.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Get a Boyd's if available. They make several lengths and if not, you can always cut one of theirs. Not a Hogue fan anyway.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JW, the Boyd's, of which I have a couple, are a bit more than I want to spend on a youth size stock.

But I think I might find a Ruger Youth stock if I'm lucky, (I have a Hogue sitting in the corner). At the moment, 10/22 parts are as squeezed as anything else (gun).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tman, you can cut anything, with the right tool. I doubt a synthetic stock is any different.

I would believe that a high speed saw, cut slowly, should give best results. A set-up, like a band saw with a nice vice to hold the stock solid would be my guess. But, I'll assume any saw will do, if you are comfortable with using it and use the right size tooth/blade!

I appreciate someone who makes do with what he has,... my wife has constantly accused me of re-inventing the wheel for the past quarter century.

All the best!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tman, you can cut anything, with the right tool. I doubt a synthetic stock is any different.
Thanks shooter, I'm thinking that it's worth a try.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The one thing I would make very sure of, is to lock the stock down nice and solid for cutting,... that is the only place I see you running into a problem.

Well, not a big problem, if you jig when you should have jagged, :giggle: on the cut,... you can always take another 1/2 inch off and try again.

p,s.,... I was thinking,... maybe, if you have enough stock, you may want to do a trial run and make a cut to learn if there are any little rats in the wood pile!🐭

And, again, I highly recommend using a high speed saw, a fine tooth blade, and wrapping the stock, where you are going to make the cut, with some Black Gorilla Tape, or similar.

Oh, ya, I would make sure to really rub the tape HARD with a round smooth object. Lose tape may not prevent making a chipped edge to your cut.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, all that stuff is in my plan. (Having screwed all of that stuff in the past).

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. I have lots of experience :(

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Light bulb went off when I saw this again. Humpy did a post on shortening a synthetic stock.

Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I never have heard back from the smith I emailed. So sent a question to Hogue. Got a nice reply from a lady there this morning that said I don't know. But in looking at mine and I have 2 rifles in those stocks I'd say you could make it work.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never have heard back from the smith I emailed. So sent a question to Hogue. Got a nice reply from a lady there this morning that said I don't know. But in looking at mine and I have 2 rifles in those stocks I'd say you could make it work.
I was going to take a pass at it soon. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts