Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded some 30-06 and found the pimers burned through when fired. The end of the fireing pin was rough with what I think was melted primer materal. Later I found that I grabed Large Pistol Primers not the Large Rifle primers I thought I had. I could see daylight through the primer and also the back side of the anvil. I kept my pistol primers in one drawer and the rifle primers in the lower drawer. I just messed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Glad it was a mistake where you or the rifle didn't get hurt. Mistakes are easily made as I can attest too. One of my most common is transposing numbers, have to constantly check myself..... must be a little deslexia kicking in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, I did that once years ago, when I was a lot younger and not so well read. I assumed that a large primer was a large primer and if it fit it would work. That's when I learned that pistol primers were made of thinner material than rifle primers. I had the same results as you.
Moosie

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
You'll probably find that the breechface is pitted as well. Do have a gunsmith look at it because you almost certainly will need a new or re-tipped firing pin. The current one is liable to pierce primers forevermore if left as is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all and Rocky the rifle went off to the Smith two days ago.

I was in a hurry and I grabbed the wrong box. I always double check the book for a load data and double check the powder jar so now I need to double check my primers.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Rocky is right, but now is the time to upgrade to a Titanium pin, its a sound investment and a nice long term item. You never have to worry about it breaking or wearing out and they are only about $20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts