Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about trying some speer 240 sp in the 44. What are the pros and cons on HPs vs SPs? Any hunting experiences out there with either?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have not shot a deer with the particular bullet you are asking about, however, I've shot plenty with the Remington 240 SJHP, Hornady 240 XTP, cast 240s, and cast 300s.  Either of the HPs are going to give you pretty much the same performance.  They work especially well on braodside shots behind the front legs giving complete penetration.  This gives an excellent blood trail to follow.  I'm a meat hunter, so I shoot for behind the frint leg to damage as little meat as possible.  The XTP probably has a slight advantage over the Remington when you get into shooting into the shoulders.  

If you want to have penetration pretty much reagrdless of which angle you shoot a deer from, go with the cast or your softpoint.  Most of the time, revolver velocities are slow enough the SPs will act more like solids and just plow on through.  

Best thing to do would be to find a load your gun likes with that bullet, and shoot a few deer with it.  Carry a note pad so you can write down info such as where your shot went and how the animal reacted.  Then you can start your database on how the bullet performs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have shot deer with soft points,hollow points and cast bullets.I personally prefer sp's over hp's.The sp's give better penetration and still give some expansion.On broadside shots both are fine,but for less than perfect shot angles I prefer to have the better pentration of the sp;s vs. the better expansion of the hp's.I mainly hunt with cast bullets now due to lower cost.Before going to cast bullets I used the Speer 240 grain jacketed soft points to take several deer and coyotes with good results.I always had good pentration,good exit wounds and good blood trails.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't use HPs anymore. I hit a Pronghorn at 35 yds with a Hornaday 300g HTP in the shoulder and the bloody bullet exploded on the surface. I know this, because another hunter killed him an hour or so later and I took a look at him. Now, I'm sure that had the bullet hit directly behind the shoulder, He wouldn't have gone far, but once was enough. I've used the 300g Sierra SP since and have experienced no problems what-so-ever. I've had good luck with cast bullets also, but in my experience HPs are not a good choice on most big game.
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/nm2/gilamonster/index.html" target='_blank'>http://www.angelfire.com/nm2/gilamonster/index.html</a>

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gila,

What caliber and load were you using?  This is quite different from my experience with 300 gr HPs in the .454.  I used the 300 XTP over 32 gr of 296 and never recovered the bullet as it had completely penetrated the deer I shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts