Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on ordering a 500 grain bullet mold for a 45/70. I have the option of ordering it with a hollow point feature. Is there any benefits to hunters to use hollow point bullets?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
You don't need a hollow point to kill big game with .45 cal rifle bullets. If you want one, then by all means get it.

Varmiting, maybe?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think a 500gr hollowpoint would be great. You have instant open for quick shock without the fragging you get on smaller, faster bullets.

My 45-70 Guide Gun enjoys 300gr Rem jacketed hollow points. They shoot well and hit hard because they open up quickly but I've not really put them into bone other than a bucks spine. They do frag and arent recommended for penetration.....however, I'd think a 500gr bullet would do both with ease.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I never allowed my kids to hunt with hollow points and I never have ever. I think it's misplaced technology.

It won't work on your 500g bullet unless it's dead soft, in which case you're LOSING ALL of the benefits of the hard cast LBT style bullets.

If it is dead soft you'll want to cast or size it smaller than hard cast because it will obturate under pressure, which hard cast doesn't and is why they're sized over groove size.

A dead soft lead bullet will kill without being a hollow point, and will expand also, the buffalo were wiped out with them. But you will give up all the advances and advantages of hard cast bullets, like no lead in the bores, thru and thru penetration, etc.

Oh, sorry, I'm repeating myself already.. ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Why do you consider hollow points misplaced technology? Is this for all hollow points, or just in certain calibres? I am curious, as all the deer that I have shot with hollow points have dropped.
Also, there is no need to cast soft bullets smaller. The obturation just won't happen if the bullet is already groove diameter, which is a good thing.
I personally wouldn't go with a hollow point in 500 grain, but I am quite happy with my hollow point in 405 grain. The real issue is whether or not it has a flat nose, or rounded. A round nose hard cast bullet won't produce the same effect as a flat nose hard cast, and almost the same would apply with soft cast bullets.
As for leading, it all depends how fast you are trying to push your bullets. The original poster never talked about that.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I experimented with hollow point 45-70 500 gr slugs several years ago. This was by no means a technical type experimentation. I tried drilling several types of hollow points in 500 gr slugs and shooting them into soft clay banks. I could never really get the big 500 gr to open up much. There was not a whole lot of difference in the solid and hollow point s when it came to expansion. The hollow points had a little bit more of deformation on the tip but not enough to make the effort worth while. I think the big flat meplat will do all that is needed with this bullet.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I've learned and experienced what hard cast can do to your game, and I personally am sold on Marshall's bullets, hand loaded in my 45/70 guide gun.
They kick arse in smaller calibers too. I loaded up some .224 for the AR and devastated 'chucks. the entry would was pin hole, but the exit wound was big as a golf ball. Wound channel was also very large.
The other question I would have about the hollow point in the 45/70 is, is the cavity going to load up with the tough animal hide and hair, and not funtion properly?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Why do you consider hollow points misplaced technology? Is this for all hollow points, or just in certain calibres? I am curious, as all the deer that I have shot with hollow points have dropped.
Also, there is no need to cast soft bullets smaller. The obturation just won't happen if the bullet is already groove diameter, which is a good thing.
I personally wouldn't go with a hollow point in 500 grain, but I am quite happy with my hollow point in 405 grain. The real issue is whether or not it has a flat nose, or rounded. A round nose hard cast bullet won't produce the same effect as a flat nose hard cast, and almost the same would apply with soft cast bullets.
As for leading, it all depends how fast you are trying to push your bullets. The original poster never talked about that.
Hi Al

Sorry, I missed your question. I consider hollowpoints misplaced tech in hunting applications. I carry them in my hand guns for self defense purposes. As soon as I get out of a city I switch up to hardball or hard cast because I want the penetration that I don't want in town. When I hunt I want two holes, and if I don't get it I change bullets or calibers until I do.

If I have to shoot a bad guy, and I pray that I never do, I want the hps to open big and cut deep without exiting.

Millions of buffalo were killed with dead soft lead bullets in the 500g range. They were driven by black powder. If I were to use them I would use black or a smokeless bp equivilent.

For hunting I carry hard cast and run it at moderate to slow velocities. That's just me I suppose. It's what I think of as appropriate technology for game. I don't care if my hunting bullet expands, I'd rather it didn't because I want it to keep the flat meplat all the way through.

Sorry if I'm rambling too much.

Regards,

Grizz

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I would not use a hollowpoint for the simple fact that Jodum mentioned...deformation. Deformation limits penetration, and with any big bore, slow moving bullet, penetration is what kills.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
I guess they might be slower to cast too? If I was going to make my own by drilling out a solid, I would use a combination centerdrill / countersink and have a deep cavity, with a very wide mouth.

Like Chris says the flat nosed solids have done the job on the critters I have shot, up to bison. To each his own......

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Mike; These are my 44 Mag "inside the house" defense rounds....a 16 to 1, .250 X .300 hollowpointed Keith 250. After hollowpointing the weight is 232 grains and I drive them at 1000 fps. In the penetration tests that I did years ago, these bullets will blow 4 wet phonebooks to smithereens at 10 yards, while fragmenting to nothing but the base of the bullet. This is a low penetration "stunner" and limits "shoot through" problems inside the house.....but, I would never consider using anything like this on game animals.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
You mean an entry hole almost 1/2 inch in diameter isn't big enough?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts