Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a nice leather (lined) single action holster for which I would appreciate any information on breaki-in or preparing the holster for use. While the holster is "formed" for the Ruger/Colt single action, the top part of the holster is bowed in slightly, requiring extra effort to get the revolver in the holster. The revolver to be used is a stainless Ruger 4 5/8" that I plan on leaving in the holster hoping the tightness will lessen to the extent returning the gun to the holster is easy.

Would be pleased for any advice.

Dan

·
Registered
71 Posts
If a new holster fits very tightly, you can do some refitting yourself. First coat the outside of the gun with a protective film of Johnsons paste wax, and then insert the gun into a zip-lock bag, leaving it partially unzipped so that you can force the gun in the holster and drive the air out of the bag at the same time.

Wet the holster inside and out with ordinary rubbing alcohol, insert the gun fully and work the leather around the shape of the gun with your thumb and fingers, including any retaining flaps or straps. While the holster is still wet, remove and insert the gun several times, while working the tight spots with your fingers.

You want the gun to be able to come out of and go back into the holster easily, but the fit must not be loose, otherwise the gun will vibrate in the holster when carried and you will wear the finish, especially once dust and dirt gets in there. Two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time, and you only want enough room for the gun, not for cattail fluff, duck feathers, beggar's lice, grass and trail dust.

When you think you have the fit you want, fully insert the gun in the holster and fasten the retaining strap or flap, and let the holster dry fully before removing it. To restore an attractive finish to the leather, use a high quality shoe polish of the correct color, such as Lincoln, applied with the fingers, rubbing it into all the nooks, crannies, seams and stiching. Then take soft toothbrush or horsehair machinists brush and scrubb all over too remove all excess accumulations of polish. Then buff by rubbing with an old wool sock which has been slightly dampened with water, until you get a clean and attractive appearance.

If the holster will be subjected to harsh field or duty use, substitute a professional grade leather waterproofing, such as Filson's for the shoe polish.

I'm still using the George Lawrence Co. half-flap duty holster I got over 30 years ago which has been fitted and maintained by this method, giving it a good yearly cleaning and conditioning. It looks as good as it did in the Quantico PX when I bought it in 1970.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed,

Sincerely appreciate the help and I'll give it a go next week. I certainly want a continuing close fit, but right now it really drags coming out, lifting the holster to the point I need to use the tie down or the holster raises to the point it's hard to get the revovler out. And as indicated, even with the cylinder corners being chamferred, required help getting it back in ...
can't have the "Bad Guys" laughing at me when I draw on 'em!

Thanks again.

Dan

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry Dan, I had a laugh at your expense. I got this mental image of Barney Fife trying to get his gun out. :D

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're realllllllllll close....only difference is I outweight him by about 100lb but he's better co-ordinated.

Dan

·
Banned
32 Posts
I saw a post somewhere to use mink oil on the holster. I used this stuff to soften up my softball gloves and it worked great, but it seems like it would make a gun holster a little too soft. I have a holster on order and would appreciate some info from someone with direct experience.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads-up and I've ordered the "Leather Lighting" product today. I'm afraid I want to have my cake and eat it too as one one hand I want a good fit so the revolver wouldn't jump around (or out) if I trip or run (more likely to trip than run!), yet I want to be able to use the holster set for cowboy shooting if I want.

I've noticed that several of the cowboy holster manufacturers are advertising holsters patterned after major/top cowboy shooter's designs that have the top of the holsters slightly flanged outward to allow the reentry without catching the cylinder on the holster....sounds like a good idea to me.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts