Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My department has changed their holster polocy we now perty much can use any holster we want so long as it is as stated of sound construction and at minimum level 2 retention. I haited the joke of a holster we used it sucked two times while running once in training and once in the field my gun fell out. The retention system sucked!!! One of the guys I work with has an FFL and some how scored some of us a few Blackhawk Serpa auto lock level 3 holsters. I was kinda skittish about it at first. Ive used a few level 3 holsters and they took some getting use to. I have a blackhawk I use off duty but its the level 2 with just the Serpa finger thing on it. We have to qual with them before we can use em in the field. We all hit the range today and after about 20-30 minuits of messing with this holster, all I can say is wow. I am able to take time off my draw! and its a higher retention. Its only miliseconds but its faster. Only one of the 6 of us had a little trouble with it but after the 4 hour blast session we had we all had it down. One of the hosters we tried a training exercise and we yanked on and toumbled with eachother trying to disarm the other. Even knowing how the hoster worked It was very very difficult to get out. With this holster if somebody reaches for my gun im gonna commence pounding them in the face with both hands forget keeping one hand on the gun!! I might keep it their for a second or so just to make sure they don't know what they are doing then its play time. Once I get it in the field ill give you guys a review of how its holding up.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Great review. What is the level 3? I have seen the Serpa and fooled with the retention device. I don't know about the level 2 or 3.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great review. What is the level 3? I have seen the Serpa and fooled with the retention device. I don't know about the level 2 or 3.

Ok I could be wrong but this is how I interpret it. Single retention (level 1) is perty much a thumb break an easy to unlock so to speek. However iv e hurd single or level 1 retention as simply a tention screw. Double rentention or level 2 is some form of locking device beyond like a thumb break like the safariland that has the "sentury lock". triple retention or level 3 has at least two devices to unlock. The Blackhawk holster im talking about has both a thumb switch which unlocks the top cover and a the serpa (index finger) lock. Its kinda nice because all you got to do is place your gun into the holster and it automaticly locks in place. If you forget to secure the top cover you still will not have your gun fall out. Thats what I like about it. Gun falling out is a bad thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Zapzoo; I've carried the level III Blackhawk for over a year now & love it! I think it is 1 of the most natural draws I've had from a holster. I have the 1 that accomidates the Xiphos weapon mounted light from Blackhawk. The only drawback is that is the only light that will fit this holster. And while it is not as bright as the Streamlight, I've never felt disadvataged by it.

Like you, our rangemaster dragged me around the range by mine before he would authorize me to wear it. Since mine, a couple of other guys have switched to Blackhawk as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts