Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I just ordered a 930 SPX for home defense use. Anyone have any suggestions for ammo to feed her. She will be residing at my bedside to greet anyone who would like to break in at night. I've been leaning towards #1 buckshot, but I'm open to any other suggestios.

Ken

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
For most of us, a realistic evaluation of the conditions inside our houses means that the range of any engagement will be measured in a very few feet. Under the circumstance, virtually any shotgun load will be highly effective. Try some light target loads on targets at 10 feet sometime and you will see what I mean. Even a .410 with serious rabbit ammo can do some heavy damage.

That said, I rely on O or OO buckshot in my home-defense shotgun, with a couple of slugs in its SpeedFeed stock just in case I need to shoot something in the yard.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I've been curious about this myself. Thanks for posting the links.

I've been stoking the 12 ga with 1 1/8 reloads of #4 since it's what i most often use on upland game birds. Figured the magnum loads of BB and Buckshot would take my house apart along with the neighbor's place.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
It depends what you prefer

My home defense shotguns are loaded with 1 1/8 oz. of #5 shot. At close range these loads are very impressive. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use birdshot too. At across room distances it hits as a heart-size glob, and stray pellets are much less likely to be getting into the neighbor's house.

Buck is gonna do the job, it's the strays I wonder about.

Grizz

after reading box o truth about 12 ga I need to say that I thought a bg would be shot in the face. he's blind and probably dead. a guy I know in alaska was hunting little birds with birdshot. he met a bear face to face at a berry bush and sort of reflexively shot it in the face. killed the bear. I don't know if this is repeatable. but I am gonna keep the buckshot in the gun until I get some volunteer targets to test on. I did like seeing the tight cluster of shot...

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you live alone, most any load you feel comfortable with. If other people are in the house(other bedrooms) use #8s or 9s. At distances in a house they will disable an intruder and most likely not penetrate walls enough to kill others in the house. With buckshot, consider the neighbors.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I use three different alternating rounds.

first shot) Bird shot,

2nd shot) a self-defense round from Centurion which I ordered from SMG which is basically a .650 ball sitting on top of six 00 buck,

3rd shot) and then a rifled slug.

If there is a break in and I think there is more then one person or they are heavily armed and I have more then 30 seconds, I have a much heavier response besides the shotgun.

The bird shot is to discourage and stop an attack without killing the person or taking a chance on killing someone inside the house or a neighbor. I keep bird shot handy and can load a round in front of the heavier stuff if I need two rounds of discouragement.

The reason for the slug is to shoot through walls, doors, or cars if I have to. It is the STTF round.

I have not tried the combined .650 ball/buck 00 on anything or anyone yet, but, I imagine that .650 ball from the ribcage up or lower pelvis would stop most people on the first shot and would double as a deer round within 100 feet.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I just ordered a 930 SPX for home defense use. Anyone have any suggestions for ammo to feed her. She will be residing at my bedside to greet anyone who would like to break in at night. I've been leaning towards #1 buckshot, but I'm open to any other suggestios.

Ken
Ken, Glad to hear you live where shooting bad guys allows you to choose shot size. In a place like that, go with "000", and really clean their clock.

Back to the real America, where Democrats and Lawyers make their votes and living off people like you. If they are close enough to be a threat, as qualified by the courts, grab a couple boxes of Winchester Super target in # 7 1/2 size. Under 15', you can kill 100%, beyond that they are not a "legal" threat, and you will do several years, in a small space, with the lights out. Bubba will call you baby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken, Glad to hear you live where shooting bad guys allows you to choose shot size. In a place like that, go with "000", and really clean their clock.

Back to the real America, where Democrats and Lawyers make their votes and living off people like you. If they are close enough to be a threat, as qualified by the courts, grab a couple boxes of Winchester Super target in # 7 1/2 size. Under 15', you can kill 100%, beyond that they are not a "legal" threat, and you will do several years, in a small space, with the lights out. Bubba will call you baby.
I'd rather have to deal with the legal system than to have my survivors have to make funeral arrangements for me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My thoughts are that you always want to kill the bad guy...not wound them. That way they can't give some *** story to the jury to gain their sympathy and make you look like the bad guy when all they were trying to do was steal your TV so they could feed their bastard children.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
^ Right - If you must go "small" at least get #4. The link I post above shows that #1 would be the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
^ +1 - the link I posted above shows that #4 Buckshot is the minimum and # 1 may be ideal if you believe in the FBI standards and dont want to go "big"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts