Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the interest Old Jim's tread on carry guns, thought some might be interested in the home defense issue.
The Guns & Ammo I received today has an interesting article on the "Social Benefits of Widespread Gun Ownership" by Don Kates.

The article starts "Some of the benefits society gets from widespread ownership of guns are explored in "Lawyers, Guns and Buglars" (43 Arizona Law Revue 346-367, 2001) in an article by David Kopel, a former prosecutor and deputy attorney general who is also a professor of Law and Criminology at New Youk University (www.davekopel.org).

The article points out that burglaries where the occupant is home at the time of the buglary has a six times death rate compared to street muggings. It goes on to indicated that only 13 percent of American burglaries are committed when the premises are occupied. In Canada the percentage is four times higher. 48% of burglaries in Holland occur when the homes are occupied and 59% of the burglaries in England occur in like fashion.

The results found by criminologists who conducted a survey amoung thousands of felons in state prisons across the nation in a study that was funded by the National Institute of Justice showed 78% of the felons surveyed agreed "one of the reasons burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot".

Quite frankly, based on the data, a reasonable conclusion would be armed home defense.

Dan

·
Registered
572 Posts
DOK, I think that almost every gun owner would agree. The problem, as I see it, is how to get these truths published in such a manner that the general public becomes aware. Very few, if any, of the publications read by Joe and Mary down the street will publish those statistics.

What "Joe and Mary down the street" fail to realise is that the firearms in my house help provide security for their house since the predators do not have X-Ray eyes and must play russsian roulette of sorts when they decide to enter a home in any state where there are few, if any, restrictions.

I believe that the best way to get the message out is for the individuals who are part of the shooting public to quit hiding under the basket for fear of being singled out.

Them "Beartooth Bullets" hats make a fine statement in public ;*)

All my best,

Scotty

·
Banned
32 Posts
I've been visiting the michaelmoore.com forums, mostly just to stir the pot. But there seems to be no way to get through to the anti-gunners. They firmly believe that a new gun law will stop a criminal considering armed robbery or murder from buying a gun. I have not figured out a way of countering "logic" like that. Frustrating!!

I have made sure that all my neighbors (and their school going children) know that I carry a gun. I also carry it openly around the house and grounds and whenever a delivery person stops in. There have been a couple of robberies in the neighborhood, but my house was not involved.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ExtremeDooty,

It had not occurred to me to see if our friend Michael had a website so I used your information to find it. I did so with some trepidation as I knew I'd have a headache after reviewing the site. Well, I do, but I was also somewhat relieved to find that he really has the problem nailed down tight.....it's those d----- REPUBLICANS. That will make my voting even more pleasurable!!

Dan

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
A while back a local morning drive radio host lambasted the Editor of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for being so rabidly anti-gun, yet he and many of his associate editors all have carry permits. The radio guy suggested that since John Craig felt so strongly about firearms, he should lead the way by getting rid of his and planting a big sign in his front yard proclaiming the home a "Gun Free Zone." Needless to say, Craig didn't like the talk show host's suggestion.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill,

You couldn't have started my new year any better than that!!

Dan "I love it"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bill, how are things up there in Rolling Rock country. Believe it or not, I spent my honeymoon in Ligonier and one of my best friends at college lived there. Also, have been to Burrel (sp) Twnshp Rod and Gun to shoot silhouette years ago when I lived in the Washington PA area. Pretty country you have there!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
twillis,

Things are just fine in Latrobe. I live about two miles from the brewery. My wife and I have only been here since the end of November but we're very happy. Ligonier is still one of God's best kept secrets. Did you ever eat at the Sleepy Hollow Inn? It's under new ownership and just "Sleepy Hollow" but the food is still great.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bill, I was going to ask you about it but forgot the name. Yes we did eat there and the food was great. Pretty unique the way it sets between the lanes of US 30 and on top if the creek. Have you been to the Firearms Museum yet? I believe it is down the road from the Fort.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Yes I've visited several times but not for a number of years. I really should go and see if anything has changed. His collection is something, isn't it? As for Ft. Ligonier, I'm seriously thinking about getting into the reenactor thing there. It would go hand-in-hand with my duel interests in history and firearms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
speaking of home defense!

I suppose by now you all have heard of Ron Dixon in New York. Fox News (Hannity & Colmes) has been airing every night for the last three nights. Seems this guy moved from Florida to New York. While going the the process of registering his 9mm, his house was broken into. He shot the guy twice. The man has a 14 page rap sheet, and survived the shooting.

Now the local DA is trying to throw him in jail for a year because the gun was unregistered! I would love it if this case went to the Supreme Court and they ruled registration unconstitutional, which I firmly believe it to be!

John

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
John,
I did hear a little about this, but didn't have any good details. Although I visit Fox News some, I don't browse their entire website and must have missed the Hannity and Colmes.

On another note, mostly about CCW, rumor going through the mill is that Duluth, MN is trying to make it illegal to carry a sidearm in the city, regardless of CCW status or not. Didn't expect to see something like this come from MN.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a son who lives in Duluth (I still can't figure out why) and he doesn't go ANYPLACE unarmed. Haven't heard from him lately, but I guess that ordinance, if passed, will some upset him. Duluth isn't the nice, clean, all-American city that they would like to portray.

As far as not expecting something like that out of Minnesota - Minnesota spawned Paul Wellstone, Mark Dayton, Walter Mondale and Hubert Humphrey. They are not a "shall issue" state. Democrats control large portions of the state through labor unions. I'd expect almost any liberal agenda from them.

DC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts