Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening some guy who said he lived down the road, claimed that I was "hitting" on his mother and telling her all the nasty thing that I want to do with her. I have no idea who this person is or his mother. He made a general threat to me and had his finger in my face, just not enough for me to pull my J Frame out of my pocket. I told him to call the sheriff and he walked away, so I call 911. The sheriff's department took a report over the phone and that is pretty much all the LEOs are going to do unless some one gets shot.

I had a lot of surgery on my left foot to repair damage from when I was a young man, so I am not going to run any one down or go into some kind of fist fight, I will just pull out my pistol and end the situation.

In the 5 years I have lived out here this is the first instance of anything like to happen, so these things can happen any where.

Now the dog is chained up in the front yard, I went from Hydr-A-Shoks in my pistol to Rangers. Plus the Castle Doctrine is now truly in effect in my neighborhood.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Have you tested the 2 loads?

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you call 911 where I live, the sheriff (or deputy) is required to come to your home. If I lived in the city I'm sure the city police are required to do the same. I know this because I inadvertantly hit the button on a new phone that automatically called 911, when they answered I told them it was an oops and everything was ok. About 15 minutes later a deputy drove up my driveway to the house. Told me it was required. Also looked around and said "didn't know anyone lived back up here". I guess that would be a good thing...on the other hand, if I really needed 911 they at least know where to find the place now.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if the sheriff was to send a patrol car out, it would be 20 minutes at best. If I really wanted to, I would go over to the prosecutors office, which is on the other side of the county, and file a complaint for tresapassing, menacing and couple of things. Not sure if I will do that or not.

I did talk to the local fire chief, he ia friend of mine. If I need the squad they are 8/10 of a mile down the road. So if this guy comes back, I am to call the fire chief, he will come over and help out.

As far the ammo, I have test fired both and both are very effective.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Test fired? Does that mean you shot them into medium to test penetration and expansion? Very effective, didn't you state that you are useing a S&W J-frame?

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a S&W 340 PD, 357 Mag in a 12 ounce J frame. The Hydra Shoks left a big wound channel like they are suppose to, the Rangers spread out like they are suppose to. At 5 feet or less, swaged lead 38 Specials would be more than enough power, but I won't let some one get that close to me.

Here is how to make your own Ballastic Gel; http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html

Jerry

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
> If I lived in the city I'm sure the city police are required to do the same.

Not here in GA.
I am the deputy chief of our fire/rescue, and work on the local ambulance, so I have a good acquaintance with the police (RCMP in this case) and emergency protocols.

We (and the police) always respond to 911 calls until we verify that there is no problem.

How can Emergency Services not imagine that perhaps someone being murdered managed to dial 911, but it was the murderer who told the dispatcher everything was OK? I don't know how many times we have responded to an MVA where our dispatcher was told there were no injuries, or no entrapment, only to find both once we were on scene.

I would complain bitterly about an emergency service that doesn't even check out every 911 call as standard protocol.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Video is your friend. This is the friendliest video cam I know of. Ordered one from amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqJmaJ36rw

you can have this clipped on you. no question who said what to whom.

I called 911 about a driver that was hostile to me and driving as though impaired. I described the incident and told them I had the whole thing on video, which they were welcome to view. I also read the car make, model, and license plate off of the video.

Yup, video is our friend.

Grizz

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
One thing you are not considering is the fact that you have stated you are planning to shoot someone in advance, under certain circumstances and are posting the specifics on a public forum. Not a good idea, in my opinion, even if it is otherwise a "righteous' shooting.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been thinking of putting in some wireless video cameras, mostly in my work areas, the machine shop/welding bay, my reloading room and where my gun safes are.

Plus I want to hook them to a PC on the internet, so if I am away from home I can log in and check on things.

In my area with the LEOs being so thin, there are problems with coverage in my area, we be really sparse out here in BFE. The local sheriffs have told us on TV that if some ones is breaking in to our homes, assaulting us, tresspassing and won't leave, that we have the Castle Doctrine. Which has been successfully exercise twice in the last 12 months in the county and a few times in the county north of me. When seconds count, what are you going to do? Call you friends, the Brownings, the Colts, the Smith and Wesson family, along with those foreigners, the SIGS and the FNs.

Plus as that I am home all day long working and my neighbors know that I am out shooting all the time that only stupid people would bother me or them.

Today I shot a baby ground hog, I was truing out a new load in my Rem 770, 30-06, a Berger 185 grain Match Target bullet, it put a big hole in that little hog. I would say that would be fair warning for any criminals. The next G Hog, I may mount on a stack near my drive way, with some stupid sign, like: If You Can Read This, Your In Range"

Jerry

·
Registered
785 Posts
The thing I want to do is figure out a way to hook up the motion detectors so they alert INSIDE the house when they trigger. This would work even in daytime because the IR is working, even though the light doesn't turn on except at dark.

Just saw a light/camera combo in Northern Tools catalog that starts a video recorder mounted under the light when the light triggers. Don't know if that one operates day and night or not. Like having trail cams triggered by motion detectors.

But I still want an inside alert. Thinking about putting a light-bar on the roof that would trigger if someone breaks in while I'm out. That would alert the entire neighborhood.

Another way would be to make the motion detector sound off the car panic alarm. That gets the early warning started. Food for thoughts.

Grizz

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,685 Posts
I have a little experience in setting up security cameras and connecting them to the internet, etc. It is pretty straightforward and the technology is cheaper than you think. Do a web search on "DVR camera" (digital video recorder) or the like and see what comes up. You can set up cameras with IR for nightime viewing without lights. A 4-channel DVR with cameras will be well under $1,000, 8, 16, 32-channel all available too.

Put a hard drive in the DVR and you can record quite a bit. As an example, a customer bought a 4-channel DVR with a 330 GB hard drive. It will record something like 300 hours of video. Cameras can be set to record on a schedule, or with motion detect. One camera has 300 feet of cable yet the video picture is fine. Setting up to view over the internet is pretty straightforward (well it is to me, anyway ;) ) and really just involves opening a few ports in a router. Simple hour's worth of work if you have to hire a tech person.

Just the act of putting a camera in a visible place is a considerable deterrent. A couple of years ago I helped a friend put these up. He lives near a lake and had no end of trouble with people trespassing .... as soon as the camera went up on the house, no one so much as pulled into the driveway anymore.

$1,000 may seem like a considerable sum but it will pale in comparison to attorney's fees if you have to shoot someone, even if 100% justified in the matter.

An ounce of prevention.....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Seems like wer're killing a fly with a bazooka. Obviously you didn't do what the guy thinks you did, so have the police spoken to him to clear up this mess? I think this should have a higher priority than the best load to shoot him with.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed,

The sheriff hasn't been to my part of the county in months. Here is something from the Buckeye Firearms Association.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7225

The little towns on the other side of the county don't have police coverage during certain parts of the day, some don't have a 3rd shift. I don't live in any of those communities, I live way out in the country.

If you live in the city or the burbs, you have police, out here the deputies may have to travel 40 to 50 miles of country roads to get here. The LEOs don't know who he is, so haven't talked to him, they just filed a report. They told me to call if he shows up again and do what is necessary if the problem escalates.

I have told every one in my area, so they are keeping an eye out, which most of them carry. The mail delievery person, a postal contract person, is keeping her eye out and so are many other people. Our block watch is many miles long.

Jerry

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked to my attorney this afternoon, he said not to use the Ranger unless this turns into a fire fight. Which the situation would not escalate in to an open battle.

He explained to me that having a gun for security is allowable. If I took a wooden baseball bat and hammered lots of large nails into it, then cut the head of the nails off, that would probably cause more law suits than a gun. A gun can be used for many different things, this spiked baseball bat is considered to be intended for only killing a human or what ever the scum of the earth are.

I would hate to ruin a good baseball bat, that is a novel idea, sort of like a spike mace from medieval times. These days, I turn wooden baseball bats in to mauls and other wooden tools.

But the J Frame is still in my pocket loaded with HydrAshoks and the dog gets chained up outside different times of the day. The community is looking for this person, out here we all help each other, and while I letting my foot heal up, some people are more watchful over me.

Jerry

·
Registered
336 Posts
Being a former LEO, I've been more aware of some of the things that go on night after night, that we don't read about in the newspapers, than some of my friends. I've also owned and operated a security company for 31 years. I don't live in a high crime area, but many people don't realize what crime is going on around them in the middle of the night. I have closed circuit TV camera's on the outside of my home and a chain link fence on the sides of my home/yard and a high wooden fence in the rear. I also have outside motion detectors on all sides of my home. Any person or vehicle that leaves the road and comes onto my property alerts us inside our home. Yeah, deer wake me up in the middle of the night, but it is fairly easy to switch on the TV and see what is outside. At night I never answer the doorbell ringing if I don't recognize who is ringing the bell. There are no children in our home, so loaded handguns, and at lease one shotgun are located in various places where they can be reached quickly. I have eleven sets of Crimson Trace Grips on various handguns, 1911's, J Frames, 629 S&W, Ruger MkI, and Glocks (one is a 10 MM). The next Crimson Trace will be for my Judge. For myself, shooting in the dark has not been a problem. My wife has been told to wake me before she attempts to walk around in the house during the night when all of the lights are off. I want to survive if something unforeseen happens. My everyday carry guns is a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry, in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Holster. This holster is comfortable and can be worn in the summer time, even with your shirt tail lucked in if you wish. Why a 1911 in 45 ACP. I read an article written by a Medical Examiner a few years ago. If anyone knows what works, a Medical Examiner should. He stated that time after time a 38 Special and 9 MM bullet was not enough to stop an agressor in time to keep from getting hurt. He said a 22 is one of the most serious things to get hit with because the bullet doesn't go straight through the body, it follows muscle and bones. I have this article available if you wish to read it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts