Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in these times of cash tight folks there is a bore cleaner that is simple to make and i so far am satisfied with it and it dose a DAM good job here is the formula for those who want to make it

ED's RED

1 quart / liter of ATF transmission fluid
1 quart / liter of k1 kerosene
1 quart / liter of mineral spirits / varsol
1 quart / liter of acetone

Mix in a 1 gallone container non breathable ( i use a i gallone gas can ) outside
pour in transmission fluid and use the container to measure all ther other ingredients
( kerosene, mineral spirits/varsol, acetone )
and shake to mix

for long term storage add some lanolin

you can use this to even clean all the parts of your rifle at the end of your shooting season and any thing like the motor of your car

but like all bore cleaners KEEP AWAY FROM OPEN FLAME

and for those who would like to make copper remover you use

11oz of Ed's Red
2 oz of 10-20% industrial strength ammonia
2 oz of rust lick / or cutting oil
1 oz of oil soap ( murphy's )

Mix ammonia & oil soap
In a seperate container ( quart / liter )
Add cutting oil & Ed's Red mix them together
Then add oil soap / ammonia mix
shake well

wet a patch push down the barrel and leave it set 10-20 mins then push another wet patch down through fallowed by a dry patch

hope this helps a few folks out i know it did for me

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,378 Posts
Good stuff Popeye, in fact I made that exact copy of Ed's red just today. I got sick of hard carbon, and abandoned Thales extruded powder long ago. That said, I think it cleans incredibly well and quickly.

For copper, I did the poor man's Sweets/Humpy's White.
16 parts 10% janitors Ammonia
1 part extra concentrated Dawn dish soap.

HOLY Carp!! That formula destroys copper wicked fast.
Have a 25-06 that can find copper atoms from the atmosphere....
Usually takes Sweets and 50-60 strokes with a brush to get most of it off. This mix got used after a 400 round lack of cleaning. Took less than 10 strokes, and honestly I don't know that I've ever had the bore that clean.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Anyone have a home-made alternative to the new(er) cleaners like Hoppe's Elite/M-Pro7, KG, or Boretech, for those of us who would just as soon leave WWI chemical warfare in the past?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought I cleaned my guns good with shooters choise lead remover - A few days ago I mixed up some of Ed Red man that took out all the burnt powder left behind! - its ED RED FOR NOW ON. don't get the red kerosean that smells buy K1 and you wont have bad fumes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mechanics have been using 50%-50% atf and acetone as a pentrating oil for a long time. What does the kerosene and mineral spirits do?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,378 Posts
They are primarily surfactants.

MZ5 why the animosity to the good stuff?
As Tony Stark once said, That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far :)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Solvents, not surfactants, silly. :p

I acknowledge the efficacy. I dislike the strong ammonia smell in the house. Where i moved _from_, it was permafrost too much of the year for me to clean outside. Where I live now, it's hot enough for most of the year that I'm afraid the ingredients will spontaneously light on fire or I'll drench the gun in so much sweat it'll rust it before I get it cleaned and back inside! :p

I have the ingredients for the copper cleaner, and I'll try it/test it. I'd just be a lot happier with a homemade version of the low-/no-odor surfactant stuff.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,378 Posts
No one wants their wife standing over them babbling about something while they are cleaning anyway, so consider the smell a perk.:D

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
If you read Ed's explanation of the formula, there are 2 polar and 2 non-polar solvents. So the answer is that they are differently-solvent than the acetone, and combije to make the mixture more effective.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
popeye,

I can understand the need to save money for gun cleaning, but how much do you save in one year, five years, etc.? Per the Old Army Manual from Valley Forge to WWII, the Army said to use hot soapy water, dry patches and oil to preserve bores.

I prefer to buy a bottle of Shooters Choice or Hoppes #9 rather than get a quart of ATF fluid, etc., etc. Since a box of 100 jacketed bullets for my .30-06 is about $30, just HOW MUCH will "home Brew" bore cleaner save me? I dunno.

Webley

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,378 Posts
If you shoot a lot and clean, it will save you enough to buy several of your $30 boxes of bullets :)
Of course YMMV, but I have a gallon of homemade Sweets, and a gallon of E.R. Spent a grand total (bought 2 gas cans too) of $50.
That's $0.195/ oz. Compare that to what you do, maybe it doesn't fit your situation.

·
Banned
255 Posts
I've been using Ed's Red since the 1980s. It works really well for most purposes except black powder and copper fouling.

I did a test with my son back in the 1990s when he was just a kid. I took a steel bar and ground it shiny. I put a drop of ATF in the middle of the shiny spot. The area covered by the ATF was still bright and shiny last year after decades in an unheated garage. He's now a mature man and he uses Ed's Red too. It's a great anti-rust ingredient. Ed recommended the process annually but that stuff is durable and it's a lot easier to get off than grease and it's OK in cold weather.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ed's Red, oh yeah !

I have been using Ed's Red exclusively for years. Not because I thought is was a magic formula but because it works and is CHEAP. I shoot a lot of cast bullets, so I clean a lot. A couple of years ago I tried a spray foam cleaner that boasted a claim in their advertisement. "Take a barrel you consider clean, fill it with our product (wait 30min) then push a tight patch thru and look at all the crud" I tried it, setting for an hour, and even over night. Patches came out clean !! Completely sold on Ed's Red now. Not putting down another product, but for the cost of that 6oz spray can I make a lot of Ed's Red.
Here is what I do.....acetone is a nasty high V.O.C. solvent , so that is an outdoors/range use formula. For indoors I substitute 1 part acetone for 1/2 part Kroil. Also, I tried this years ago and love it. I use Brownells double tough brushes one size larger than what they are labeled for. For example: 30 caliber use 8mm, 38 caliber use 375, for 40 caliber use 41 and for 45 Colt use 458. They are phosphored bronze, but tight. A lot of scrubbing with little work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts