Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a Winchester 94 AE .44 Legacy, really wanted a Winchester but alot of people here are saying the later ones are rubbish, they break and you cant get spares any more, the chap I bought it off has never had anything break and its never let him down, another club member had one for 10 years and it never let him down, a couple of others said made with monkey metal dont touch with a barge pole, shot a few rounds on Sunday before buying it all though its not as smooth as my Marlin 1894 it chambered and ejected no problem, what suprised me was the accuracy, shot at 50 yards open sights first 3 in the X ring, the only thing I need to do is refit the cross bolt safety when he finds it, took it out because it lost him time in a match, laying it down pushed the safety one, Going to zero it in tomorrow on a PP7 target and see what groups I can get, I love lever guns, cheers Tezz:D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
They're not as bad as some would have you believe.

BTW - I've seen a few handsome, but handmade (cutoff spent cartridge case heads/etc), CBS replacement blanks, that decoratively filled in the empty safety hole.

IMHO, the best safety of all lies between a gunnie's ears.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Nothing wrong with the late model (1970 and later mod 94) guns. They are as well made as most other mass produced guns. They are also surprisingly accurate. You will enjoy using yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I have

shot 125 rounds today over 25 and 50 yards, very accurate (better than me) using 3 different loads that came with the gun, to compare with my Marlin 1894c I would say only two things concerned me, I think the magazine spring is too strong, anything after 5 shells became hard to load even shooting them back out and secondly the hammer spring seems very strong also, the hardest part of racking the rifle was overcoming the bolt pushing the hammer back, if I cocked the hammer with my thumb the lever moved easily to load the cartridge, just like my Marlin, :p I pulled out the mag spring when I got home and it was twice as long as the mag tube :eek: so will be looking into it, overall it was an excellent days shooting, so its looking for peep sight next, cheers Tezz

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have one made in 1970. Very accurate and will feed better than my Marlin Cowboy. Was a little rough at first also. The bolt rubs the top of the hammer. A little polishing cleaned that up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts