Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from down under,
Wanting to know if any one out there has loaded Hornady 160gr Lever Evolution flex tips using Hogdon Varget ? Or ADI AR2208 Australian equivlant ?
I was thinking 33grs of Varget as a starting point ?

Would stop those hogs in there tracks !.

Looking forward to replys.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
M70, you can go to the Hornady site and see the loads Hornady recommends for the FTX bullets. Click on "Reloading", then on "Metallic Reloading". Down near the bottom right of the page, click on "FTX Load Notes". There you will find their loads for the 160 grain FTX bullet.

Well, heck, here is the link to the calibers listed. Click on yours:
http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/load-data

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did Stretch nothing for Varget. Ah well we just work it out via the usual means .

Thanks any ways

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I would be tempted to do this, careful fool that I am. I think I'd do some homework comparison on powders and loads in, starting with, the Lee manual. Maybe start at your caliber and find where Varget and a couple fo other powders that Hornady recommends and compare the loads. Move to different caliber and do the same thing. You may find that a percentage average for Varget can be found and start low, working up a little at a time.

For example, the Lee manual shows, for a 170gr jacketed bullet (going to a heavier bullet because there is no 160gr in manual):
- Varget 29.5gr start to 33.0gr max.
- RL15 31.1gr to 34.1gr
- AA2520 28.4gr to 31.5gr
- IMR4895 29.1 to 31.5gr

Now, from the Hornady suggested loads for 160gr FTX:
- RL15 27.2gr to 29.8gr
- AA2520 25.9gr to 31.7gr
- IMR4895 26.71 to 29.8gr

Note that the Hornady recommendations for the FTX are, on average of those listed above, about 3 grains lighter to start. It doesn;t end there, of course, you need more comparisons, the above is just where I would begin investigation. You should be able to find a nice, safe starting load for Varget and work up from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea stretch .
I will take yr advice and let u know.
Better to air on the side of caution than not.

Thankyou,
Have a good Xmas you and yr family.
All the best,
Regards,
Roger

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Good luck and Merry Christ's Mass !

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I would be tempted to do this, careful fool that I am. I think I'd do some homework comparison on powders and loads in, starting with, the Lee manual. Maybe start at your caliber and find where Varget and a couple fo other powders that Hornady recommends and compare the loads. Move to different caliber and do the same thing. You may find that a percentage average for Varget can be found and start low, working up a little at a time.

For example, the Lee manual shows, for a 170gr jacketed bullet (going to a heavier bullet because there is no 160gr in manual):
- Varget 29.5gr start to 33.0gr max.
- RL15 31.1gr to 34.1gr
- AA2520 28.4gr to 31.5gr
- IMR4895 29.1 to 31.5gr

Now, from the Hornady suggested loads for 160gr FTX:
- RL15 27.2gr to 29.8gr
- AA2520 25.9gr to 31.7gr
- IMR4895 26.71 to 29.8gr

Note that the Hornady recommendations for the FTX are, on average of those listed above, about 3 grains lighter to start. It doesn;t end there, of course, you need more comparisons, the above is just where I would begin investigation. You should be able to find a nice, safe starting load for Varget and work up from there.
That's a very interesting observation...I wonder if the loads are lighter, despite a lighter bullet, because the FTX has greater bearing surface, or if there is some other factor? Usually a lighter bullet will allow for somewhat more powder to be used, not less...

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I don;t know why that is, BroomJM and there isn;t any explanation on Hornady's site. In any event, it seems to me to be a clue to tread lightly. But...I think it can be done with enough mathematical calculating and averaging, by comparing how Varget is loaded in various bullet weights compared to the powders listed for that 30-30 FTX. With a little care, it can be done.

I'm in a similar quandry. While buying some .35 Rem bullets (FTX), I saw some that were .429". Thinking I might try some for reloading in my .44magnum, I ordered a box. Now, the Hornady site doesn;t provide any load data for the .44mag and FTX bullet. So, I emailed Hornady. I'm still waiting for a reply from them. I may have to go through some mathematical comparison wizardry myself. The difference is, and this is a BIG difference, there isn;t any loads from Hornady to start with. They might end up sitting on the shelf for some time.....

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I don;t know why that is, BroomJM and there isn;t any explanation on Hornady's site. In any event, it seems to me to be a clue to tread lightly. But...I think it can be done with enough mathematical calculating and averaging, by comparing how Varget is loaded in various bullet weights compared to the powders listed for that 30-30 FTX. With a little care, it can be done.

I'm in a similar quandry. While buying some .35 Rem bullets (FTX), I saw some that were .429". Thinking I might try some for reloading in my .44magnum, I ordered a box. Now, the Hornady site doesn;t provide any load data for the .44mag and FTX bullet. So, I emailed Hornady. I'm still waiting for a reply from them. I may have to go through some mathematical comparison wizardry myself. The difference is, and this is a BIG difference, there isn;t any loads from Hornady to start with. They might end up sitting on the shelf for some time.....
I wish ammo manufacturers would just publish their exact load data that they use in making up specific rounds, even though I know that would be a logistical and legal nightmare. Plus, they're probably using powder we can't buy and we might be surprised how often they are changing the recipe, anyway. Still, it's really frustrating to know that Hornady has certainly done the load development work and COULD tell us what is safe for that FTX bullet, out of the 44Mag, but then again, they might not get back to you.

I reload for several wildcats and if you want to send me a PM, I'll give you some insights into how I determine what loads to use for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts