Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have have savage model 10tr 308. Im trying to get a good group with it at 100 yrds and its bad about 3 inch square and 3 shot groups. Im using hornady white tail interlock 150 grain. Has anybody else had this problem? Ive been told that the 165 grain is more accurate but i bought 2 boxes of this ammo and i live in manitoba can. So ammo is not cheap 38 bucks a box so i cant jus throw it out. Also i dont do hand loads i dont have the equipment. Ive only been out twice with this gun so its possible i wasnt shooting my best. Also whats the best ammo anyone has used with this gun. I mostly hunt whitetail and might try black bear and i want to stick to one type ammo.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
First thing I check when my rifle can't group is the optics/scope and mount. I make sure everything is good there as well as maybe trying a different optic. Then I try and take my time next time I'm out. If that doesn't fix it I usually start looking elsewhere. Someone else with better advise will come along and may be able to give you some better advise!

What kind of twist rate is your barrel and I'm assuming it's a .308 win? Twist rate can somewhat tell you what a rifle may like as far as bullet weight.

·
The Shadow
7,975 Posts
I have have savage model 10tr 308. Im trying to get a good group with it at 100 yrds and its bad about 3 inch square and 3 shot groups. Im using hornady white tail interlock 150 grain. Has anybody else had this problem? Ive been told that the 165 grain is more accurate but i bought 2 boxes of this ammo and i live in manitoba can. So ammo is not cheap 38 bucks a box so i cant jus throw it out. Also i dont do hand loads i dont have the equipment. Ive only been out twice with this gun so its possible i wasnt shooting my best. Also whats the best ammo anyone has used with this gun. I mostly hunt whitetail and might try black bear and i want to stick to one type ammo.
You want us to tell you to go buy XX box of ammo and then have the heavens open to you and the gun just shoot. Well we all want that, but it's not how the real world works.
Your gun is a mass produced thing, from a company with a poor QC history, so your gun isn't identical to any of ours. What your rifle likes is up to you, and most likely, YOUR ability. Poor recoil management and trigger control is usually the biggest issue. But the truth is, you just have to buy and try. The ammo in your store isn't identical to it's, not the rifle in your hands.... So YOU gotta tell us what YOUR rifle likes.

Best wishes, and welcome to the forum

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think the first suggestion many would make is to eliminate other possible causes; check the scope mounts to ensure they are tight as well as the rings. Remove your barrelled receiver from the stock and examine the stock to see if there's any evidence of movement. The next review should be your trigger, is it adjustable, is there unnecessary pull or drag? Maybe it's something as simple as polishing the sear to improve the trigger.

Without personally examining your rifle it's difficult at best to determine the culprit. All you can do is examine the basics and go from there.

·
Banned
168 Posts
like already advised check your scope mounts and also your barrel still needs to be broken in .... that will take about 50-75 rounds ,,,,clean the barrel after every 20 rounds...

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
If you're not using a sand bag or a real leather shooter's bag in which the rifle's buttstock is solidly rested, start doing so. I had a rifle that shot 'em all over the place-- until I started using a Protektor 3B rear bag instead of my very mobile shoulder. Once I began using a rear bag and a solid front rest, my groups with that rifle went from aerosol to nice an' tight.

Check your scope bases for tightness, and your rings. Is the scope leveled to the rails of the receiver? Is the scope aligned on the vertical axis to the bore? Is the scope in such a place forward or backward along the receiver that you're not scrunching yourself up to get a good sight picture? The eyepiece shouldn't be so close it's "in your face," and you shouldn't have to crane your neck to see the entire picture in the eyepiece.

The trigger can be a source of many problems. A fifteen-pound trigger is an engraved invitation to lousy groups. You might consider replacing the trigger with something that can be adjusted down to just a handful of pounds (or a kilogram or two, north of the 49th parallel).

The rifle may need a bedding job. That would be both pillar- and fiberglass-bedding. If you go that route, also have the barrel free-floated. Check the barrel's crown. A buggered crown can send the bullets all over Creation, no matter what else you might do.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.
As suggested I'd start by checking your scope mounting. Savages that come from the factory with the scope bases mounted have a history of not having them mounted properly. Next verify your scope by trying another known good piece.
Next check the barrel isn't pressing against the stock channel. Savage rifles of recent manufacture are pillar bedded and have adequate recoil lugs. Although the bedding isn't top notch they are usually capable of shooting better than your groups indicate.
Since you don't handload you'll have to try several brands of ammo of different types and weights of bullets. If you find ammo that shoots accurately and is suitable for your intend use for the rifle, buy a bunch of it. Preferably of the same lot.
If all else fails, send the rifle back to Savage.
Best wishes on solving the issues you have with the rifle

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to Shooters Forum, Marty. :)

What Darkker said. When you find the ammo your gun likes, you'll be the first to know.

Friends don't let their friends shoot factory ammo. :D

Reactions: Mahrtinw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies i checked my scope and notice that the rings were not tight and according to the the scuff marks on the scope it moved at least 1/2 an inch so thats what my problem was. Tightned the scope and used sandbags as someone suggested and now getting bang on every single shot. Thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts