Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the new Hornady .475 Linebaugh cases for the first time this weekend.  It was not a fun experience.  The main problem was seating and crimping.  The Hornady case walls are much thicker than the converted 45-70 brass I usually use.  My dies are RCBS.  During the seating step, I had to keep the die body way high to avoid any pressure on the case wall.  I barely had enough stem threads to seat the bullet.  During the crimp step, I backed the stem out of the way and lowered the body until I got the crimp I wanted.  There was significant contact between the die and case, such that the finished round had shiny marks in the area of the seated bullet.  Obviously I will need to get the die opened up if I want to keep using these cases.

I’ve never used Buffalo Bore cases, so I don’t know if they have similar problems with the RCBS tools.  Nor have I used the Hornady tools.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had to lap out my rcbs for the bba cases. its a nightmare when you try to seat a bullet and the die closes the bell on case mouth. rcbs will open for no charge. just send them a few fired cases.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

I agree with the nightmare part.  I'll call RCBS today.

Would you expect that I will still be able to use the seat/crimp die with the thinner 45-70 brass?

·
Registered
130 Posts
YES, THATS WHY WE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE THICKER CASES. RCBS SAYS THE NEW DIES BEING MANUFACTURED ARE WITH THE THICKER BRASS IN MIND. THE 45-70 CASES SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM AT ALL. ESPECIALLY USING THE WINCHESTER BRAND.  JIM.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Husker, I don't know if you're aware of this, but both the .475 and .500 Linebaugh brass sold by Buffalo Bore Ammunition are made by Starline.   BBA is the sole distributor.

GOd bless,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Southpaw,

Yup, I knew that.  And Buffalo Bore wants a pretty penny for it, too.  That's why I had my gun made in the original style to shoot the converted 45-70 brass.  I can buy 100 cases of new 45-70 brass for &#3640 and convert it for nothing more than my time, so I'm ahead &#3660+.

I was pretty excited when Hornady came out with their brass and are selling it for about &#3630 per 100.  That's what started this whole mess!

Jim,

I called RCBS, and they said to send the whole die set in, along with some cases, and they would rework it to work with the thicker cases.  They couldn't say whether the dies would still work with the 45-70 brass, however, and asked me to send some of that brass as well.  Not wanting to take a chance and mess up something that was working OK on the one hand, I thought maybe I should just buy a new seat/crimp die that was already made to work with the BBA brass.  So I asked, to be sure, if the current produced tools were made to the new dimensions, and they said no.  Unless the guy I talked with (Brian) doesn't know what he is talking about, it looks like RCBS knows about the problem, but hasn't done anything different with their tools to fix it.

At this point I think I will look into buying some of Hornady's tools, and leave my RCBS for the 45-70 brass.  It works great for that, and I'm starting to wish I had never bought the Hornady brass in the first place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts