Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody used the Hornady 6mm 100gr. soft points (not boat tails) on pigs? The product # is 2450.

My current Hornady manual says they are of the Interlock type, but the boxes look to be fairly old and don't have the word "Interlock" anywhere on them. I have 200 of these and need to find something to load for my wife's 6mm. We ran out of Remington ammo and the Federal stuff that replaced it isn't making it through deer on broadside shots. I have some Winchester factory ammo but the rifle didn't like it; groups poorly.

Anyway..... if there is any feedback regarding use on pigs, or large deer I suppose, that would be helpful.

·
Banned
490 Posts
A buddy of mine killed quite a few deer with that bullet and really liked it. He got pass throughs on a fairly high percentage of broadside shots. I've only shot one hog so I am no expert on the subject, but in my opinion a pig shot behind the shoulder with one of those bullets is going to be very very dead in 10 seconds or so. However I suspect on large hogs you won't get too many exit holes.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
Well, Mike -

Can't remember if you ever saw my P-17 that's customized into a 6mm/284 at the camp a couple years ago, but I shoot that bullet exclusively for deer sized game and the shots are all one-shot kills through and through. Last 10 pointer only made it 30 yds after being hit.

You get the ooomph of the 6mm Rem behind that bullet and I think the piggies are gonna get some hurt on them.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Mike,

I can offer some very specific insight to your question:

My dad and I began reloading our own ammunition almost 20 years ago. In that time, dad's gun has not had any other bullet through it, just that exact Hornady 100gr pill. It has accounted for ~30 deer, the majority of which expired within sight of where they were first shot. It is that bullet which has me convinced that, in the hands of a truly good rifleman, the .243Winchester is 100% adequate for taking thin-skinned, medium-sized game.

However, back in about '98, Dad came out to California and we went on a wild boar hunt. I took my .270 and, despite my reservations (and the guide's!) dad pulled his .243 out of the gun case, instead of my old 7.7 Jap. I can't really blame him, seeing how ugly that Arisaka is, compared to his 700 BDL, but it turned out to be a bad decision.

The guide took us around a little side-hill and there, about 200 yards ahead and above us, was a nice old boar. Dad took a steady rest and the guide put his binoculars on the hog. At the crack of the shot, the guide saw dust fly right on the point of the shoulder and yelled, "good hit!", but that was the beginning of a long, frustrating afternoon. We spent about an hour searching before the guide went back for his dogs. After another 2.5 hours, he reached the conclusion that the bullet must have hit the sheaf of cartilage on that boar's shoulder because if there had been any kind of blood trail, those dogs would have found it.

The next day, the guide spotted a band of pigs moving across a small canyon and positioned dad just off the edge of the trail they were following, maybe 30 yards from where it came up out of the canyon. The guide told dad to shoot the 2nd hog through, which turned out to be a 125lb boar. The 100gr Hornady hit just above the hog's left eye and, needless to say, was more than sufficient, at that range and with that placement!

I know it's just 2 shots and that, with hogs especially, the size of the critter and bullet placement are so crucial, but what I concluded from that hunting trip is that the .243 is not an ideal cartridge for hunting hogs, although if the range is short and the hog's not too big, it can be pressed into action. Dad went out and bought a Savage 110 in 7RM, hates the recoil on it, but has used it to good effect on two cow elk hunts. So, he knew a bigger gun was in order, but he hasn't been hog hunting since!

Although, if you want to extend an invitation, I would very much like to give him a hog hunt for Christmas! Say the word and we'll pack our bags and head south...but not with the .243! ;)

·
36,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it will be adequate for dual use, with careful shot placement. My wife is a pretty deliberate shot, anyway. It should be better than the old Federal loads that came apart in the doe she shot. Not too difficult to "test drive" it on a smaller pig and see how it goes.

Good news, digging through the stacks of junk in my office, found one more box of 100gr. Rem factory loads! These have done well for us and will give an option till I can get reloads going.

Ken, what kind of velocities were you getting out of the 6mm-284?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
24,135 Posts
Averaging right at 3390 fps, Mike, using 52.5 gr of H4831SC and Fed 210M primers.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Mike, both of my .300's and my .338 shoot Interlocks really well. It's a bullet that seems to be easy to get along with. May not be the best, or the toughest, but they work.

·
36,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if they held together in the 6mm-284 at 3300+ fps, I should be able to load them to 2900 or so in the 6mm Rem and hopefully they'll work on pigs OK. Just was a little suspicious after the 117gr. Hornady didn't make it through my buck.

A little testing is called for! Here piggie piggie piggie.... :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
I suspect if the boxes don't say Interlock, they are not. I have a variety of Hornady bullets (they are among my favourite), and some older boxes don't have Interlock printed on them, while newer boxes, with identical bullet style, have Interlock on the box.
I use the non-Interlock for practice, saving the Interlock for game. Performance has always been good, and reliable. This includes 100 grain .257 on large deer; complete pass through.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Good bullet, I've got some loaded up in 243, 90 or 95 grain. Looks like an SST w/o the plastic tip, but have shot a couple of deer and pigs with it. I've seen some with a boat tail and some flat base.
Good results
Just bought some .257 Interlocks in 115 grain at Cabelas a couple of hours ago.
Getting ready for my Bob to come home
Ho Ho Ho

·
36,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have to section one in the mill and see.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Good bullet, I've got some loaded up in 243, 90 or 95 grain. Looks like an SST w/o the plastic tip, but have shot a couple of deer and pigs with it. I've seen some with a boat tail and some flat base.
Good results
Just bought some .257 Interlocks in 115 grain at Cabelas a couple of hours ago.
Getting ready for my Bob to come home
Ho Ho Ho

I bet the .257 Roberts is a lot of fun, with pretty much no recoil.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Hey there Tang,
Yea, that caliber is right up my alley. Our deer are big if they are 150-175 on the hoof so pigs have been the proving ground on bullet performance.
I do like the mid range lower recoiling calibers. Perfect for down here.
We have one guy on our hunting lease that uses a 338 Win Mag and I always tease him about it.
Now if we had grizzlies roaming the woods, that would be a different story, but an enraged jackrabbit doesn't take much to put down.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I suspect if the boxes don't say Interlock, they are not. I have a variety of Hornady bullets (they are among my favourite), and some older boxes don't have Interlock printed on them, while newer boxes, with identical bullet style, have Interlock on the box.
I use the non-Interlock for practice, saving the Interlock for game. Performance has always been good, and reliable. This includes 100 grain .257 on large deer; complete pass through.
the box of 257 interlock I just bought didn't have a cannalure but had a plastic tip. They were not marked SST. Does that make any sense to you?

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Well MIKE G, I been shooting a Remington BDL 6mm bull barrel ever since they came out with the caliber. It was great on groundhogs, coyotes and P-dogs. However, I never tried going after hogs or piggy's with the rifle. It was just a might bit heavy for totin aound those Ozark Mountains after porkers.

Now besides, one never knows when grandpa hog will come on by and I want more than any 6mm or 243 caliber in my hands if that should happen. More like a Marlin 444 or 45/70 will fit the bill up close and it can become a close encounter quicker than a hunter can say Jackie Robinson 3 times.

I like to shoot hogs up close as I can and not snipe em like those California hunters do with their AR-15 platform guns. It's just not my style of hunting. OK for sum folks perhaps but not my bag really.:)

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I've been scouting out some likely places for ferral hogs up in the mountains near my area. I just received a Marlin lever in .35 Remington, and I'm hoping that will do the job. I've never hunted hogs before.

·
36,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm gonna bring my .338 up this weekend, also. Haven't have it out of the safe in years. 210gr. Nosler Partitions should do the trick on hogs......

·
24,135 Posts
Sounds like a box/bullet mixup, Tom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts