Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had experience in hunting deer size game with hornady A-Max bullets?

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
Has anyone ever had experience in hunting deer size game with hornady A-Max bullets?
Lots of people have done it. They work just fine, right up until the time they fail completely. Hornady advises against it and sells other bullets they recommend for big game.

My son's 308 rifle shoots 155gr A-Max bullets into very small groups. When that rifle goes hunting, it is loaded with an entirely different bullet; one that isn't quite as accurate, but is less likely to fail in the field.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,665 Posts
The 105 grain Amax from my .243 is a very fine prairie dog hunting bullet. It jacket structure is the same as the Vmax's if that tells you anything.

RJ

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,374 Posts
As said, they can work, but love to splat.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The 105 grain Amax from my .243 is a very fine prairie dog hunting bullet. It jacket structure is the same as the Vmax's if that tells you anything.

RJ
Like to expand on that a bit. One f my 243's I use 75 gr Hornady v-maxs in. my 243's are for varmint's and predator's. While I was shooting target's wit it at 200 yds it amazed me. My target backer was a 2" piece of foam. On the ground behind the target lay a whole lot of v-max jacket's all torn to piece's. How well you think that would fare on a deer?

·
Registered
175 Posts
For the life of me I can't understand why these topics are so common. Sierra Match Kings, Hornady AMax, etc have been engineered for accuracy. Can they kill cleanly? Yes. Have they killed cleanly? You betcha'. Are they more likely to fail on a game animal than a purpose built hunting bullet? Unquestionably. Why use target bullets for hunting?

·
11,665 Posts
My target backer was a 2" piece of foam. On the ground behind the target lay a whole lot of v-max jacket's all torn to piece's. How well you think that would fare on a deer?
Yes, exactly. My target backer is a piece of old conveyor belt and in the clay bank behind it I find the same thing, shards of copper jacket and very fine pieces of lead, sometimes "chunks" but mostly pieces.

I can see using them as a hunting bullet, but only on game you don't intend to find or wish to eat, like prairie dogs. :D

RJ

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
This topic has come up before. When it did, I seem to remember responding after looking at the Hornady manual. If I recall correctly Hornady doesn't recomend using an Amax as a hunting bullet. If you go into the bullet listing there are some Amaxes that are listed for use on medium game.
My advice is to use a more solidly built bullet for hunting.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Yes, exactly. My target backer is a piece of old conveyor belt and in the clay bank behind it I find the same thing, shards of copper jacket and very fine pieces of lead, sometimes "chunks" but mostly pieces.

I can see using them as a hunting bullet, but only on game you don't intend to find or wish to eat, like prairie dogs. :D

RJ
This...

I use A max and BTHP bullets with great effect on prarie dogs. I may feel comfortable enough to make a shot on a coyote sometime too if the opportunity presents itself.

If one wants a good Hornady bullet for hunting try the SST or GMX bullet. You may not be able to push the GMX as hard since it's a lead free but in my experience they both will shoot just as accurate if you find the right load and bullet weight.

The interbond is a good one too.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
For the life of me I can't understand why these topics are so common. Sierra Match Kings, Hornady AMax, etc have been engineered for accuracy. Can they kill cleanly? Yes. Have they killed cleanly? You betcha'. Are they more likely to fail on a game animal than a purpose built hunting bullet? Unquestionably.
I share this basic foundation.

What I wonder (this is a genuine wonder, not a false debating point) is how much 'engineering' goes into the different bullets. I can see some physical differences between some bullets, but _other_ shooting sports industry practices cause me to wonder just how much actual design and engineering goes into these kinds of things.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A few years ago I was experimenting with A-Max bullets in my 30-30 single shot rile. I contacted Hornady about load data and thy cautioned me about A-Max bullets being too "light" for upper (vs. small) deer sized game.

·
Registered
506 Posts
everyone is convinced that they only shoot at game at 2000+ yards. Guess part of the blame goes to gun manufacturers for stressing the long range capabilities of the 750 whizz bang. another part goes to bullet manufactures for their stress in long range capabilities of their hunting bullet.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,374 Posts
everyone is convinced that they only shoot at game at 2000+ yards. Guess part of the blame goes to gun manufacturers for stressing the long range capabilities of the 750 whizz bang. another part goes to bullet manufactures for their MARKETING in long range capabilities of their hunting bullet.
Fixed it for ya. We don't have no stinking discontinued list.... Ok, well maybe we do.
But it's just the tip!!! Ok, that isn't what our data says, but you won't actually read anything anyway...:D:D

I agree, but if we are to be rational people, we can't escape some blame as pointed out above.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I beleive that Hornady did a fine job rectifing the disconect between their Target bullets and Hunting bullet with their new Hornady ELD-X bullet line. I have loaded them in a few calibers, in various cartridges and fond that all my rifles that I've tried them in so far, have had as good or better accuracy with the ELD-X bullets, as I've had with the A-Max bullets. In fact, some of the accuracy nodes have been identical to the A-Max load I had previouly work out for them. Since all of my shooting is gear towards making me a better hunter, and the ELD-X bullets, which are designed specifically as extremely accurate, long range hunting bullets, shoot so accurately in my rifles, I've absolutely no need or desire to try their ELD target bullets!

That being said, I've yet to shoot a single animal with the any of the ELD-X bullets. We'll see how they perform this coming season. I plan on harvesting deer in several state, using the ELD-X bullets 143gr in 6.5 Creedmoor, 162gr in 7mm-08, 162gr 7mm Rem Mag, 178gr 308 Win, 212gr in 30-06 and 212gr 300 Win Mag. Unfortunately, due to bag limits, I'll only have one or two deer samples in each cartridge, and suspect that there will probably be no bullets recovered given my tendency to go with heavy for cartridge bullets. We'll see...

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,374 Posts
I beleive that Hornady did a fine job rectifing the disconect between their Target bullets and Hunting bullet with their new Hornady ELD-X bullet line. I have loaded them in a few calibers, in various cartridges and fond that all my rifles that I've tried them in so far, have had as good or better accuracy with the ELD-X bullets, as I've had with the A-Max bullets.

That being said, I've yet to shoot a single animal with the any of the ELD-X bullets. .
Shoot some game with them before you get excited about what they do or don't do differently than the A-max.

Reactions: SMK-1000plus

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
A-Max, must be their target bullet. In recent years they have gone to so many different bullet styles I can't keep track anymore. I've used Hornady Spire points/inter locks for about 50 years now and I haven't seen where anyone has done squat didlly to improve on them. If the bullet is designed for match, it's a match bullet and sooner or later will probably fail. If it fails on the first animal you shoot with it, will you complain? No reason to, Hornady told you it's a match bullet from the start. Doesn't take a lot of bullet to kill our deer around here, most are pretty small. I have killed a deer with one shot, down and out with a 75gr V-Max but I wouldn't try it again. Ran into it while out coyote hunting with my 243! That one shot does not make that bullet other than a varmint/predator bullet!

Sierra will tell you the same thing about their Match Kings but people do it anyway. Those that fail, people complain about even though they warned from the git go!

·
11,665 Posts
To clarify:

Amax,

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-max#!/

And ELD X

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/eld-x#!/

Like all bullets, I'm sure it has it's drawbacks, like too fast entering . . . . much meat damage?

The Interbond may be a better bullet IMO even though I can't get them to shoot (yet) in my finicky 300RUM.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/interbond#!/

In my 30-06AI and35 Whelen I use the old spire point (now the (Intrlock) with much successs

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/interlock#!/

Just my opinion.

RJ

I do not receive any compensation from Hornady, just like their products.

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
I hunt paper targets and the occasional steel gong. The A-Max does just fine on both...

Reactions: broom_jm
1 - 20 of 20 Posts