Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Given the failures of the 7mm saum and 7mm wsm one would wonder why they would gamble on another short action 7mm. The 6.5prc success imo was due to shooters desire for a modern replacement for the 264wm with better barrel life. It also rides on the overwhelming success of the 6.5 CM. Neither one of those apply to the 7mm bore, the 7mm remington magnum following is very strong and there's no 7mm target cartridge that comes close to the 6.5cm in popularity. Full disclosure I own and like 6.5prc,7mm saum and 7-08, short action cartridges are my overwhelming choice.

Registered
Agree with Kevin and DarkLord. Silly when they cannot only fill orders, but are making substandard ammo at that.

There are plenty of 7mm cartridges available and if one wanted a PRC in any of the current ones all they need to do is re-barrel with a more favorable twist.

Reactions: Pudfark

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
I have "Meat-in-the-pot", my trusty Sevumag. She has the uncanny ability to kill elk even when I didn't think I wanted to.

A 180 grain bullet at 2950 fps? I can think of three other 7mm cartridges that can claim that.

Anyways

RJ

Registered
And that's it in a nutshell RJ, 7mm rem mag has a well deserved reputation for putting any hoofed animal on this continent on the ground pretty quickly,the people that own them are not left wanting. Lots of great ammunition from the manufacturers even in droughts.

The Shadow (Moderator)
Just my thoughts on why.
In recent history, Hornady seems much better at supporting their creations/collaborations, then just about anyone else.
The WSM/WSSM lineage was left to wither on it's own, rather quickly after introduction; or had prohibitively expensive components.
At least in that regard, I'd say there's a chance the cartridge could succeed.

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems the 7mm REM Saum has a following among the long range target shooters. I thought Remington originally marketed it as a short action hunting round. I think most of todays target shooters are building custom rifles on long actions with custom throats, and seating their vld bullets as long as they want. They frequently complain about new unprimed brass being very hard to find.

Maybe Ruger will build some Ruger Precision Rifles and other target rifles with long action magazines for the 7mm PRC. Remington鈥檚 introduction of the saum was probably before long range target shooting became really popular. That鈥檚 too bad because target shooters would have bought a lot of target rifles and ammo.

Registered
7mm saum brass is almost impossible to find, I have a 700 stainless synthetic in it. For long range target shooting the 6.5prc is a much better cartridge. For hunting I would say the 7mm saum is better on bigger animals,to much for antelope and most deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts