Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to reloading and noticed Hornady is now offering their Flex Tip bullet in this caliber. Would there be any advantage over a hollow point at such low velocities?

·
Banned
507 Posts
I haven't found a lot concerning these bullets, For me the bullet weight is important and the 140 grain 38 biullet has some promise for my carry weapon, but it is too light for my 6 inch L Frame and my 357 Max Contenders.

Having the "tip" gives it more expansion over regular hollow points at lower speeds. Except the slowest thing I shoot is 38 +P.

Do you have any loading data for these bullets?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'm pretty new to reloading and noticed Hornady is now offering their Flex Tip bullet in this caliber. Would there be any advantage over a hollow point at such low velocities?
Shaggy,

I'm using the 200gr FTX bullets, but in a wildcat, not a 357Mag. If you're thinking of shooting them from a pistol, I'm sure your COL would limit powder capacity and result in much lower velocities. If you're talking about using them in a carbine, that's a different story. Do you have a load recipe in mind?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its going in an 8.4" Taurus. I plan on using it for hunting whitetail so I would like something with knockdown power. I haven't found any loading data for any of the flextips in this caliber. This will be my first attempt with a handgun cartridge so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
I'd forget those and do a 180gr. cast bullet. Try the Beartooth 185gr. FNGC and all the 296 / H110 you care to use. It'll work, I guarantee it.....

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
+1 to what Mike said...for 357 pistols, no need to look any further than a hard cast 180gr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts