Shooters Forum banner

Hornady FTX in 38 special?

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  simcoe 
#1 ·
Was reading the Hornady 8th edition for the FTX 140 grain. It states that I need to trim the casing down to 1.25. Instead of trimming can I use 38 special brass. The brass on the 38 is 1.144. So there is a 0.106 differance. Being very new to reloading I thought I would get some advice from people who know more than I. I have read that 38 brass can't hold the pressure of the magnum and not a good idea to load it up it will work fine. Has anyone used the FTX? Has anyone done what I would like to do? If so what recipe was used? Thanks in advance for any input!

#2 ·
Welcome to Shooter's Forum, NMRecluse.

I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing what you'd like to do, but I have to wonder why you would? If you want to drive the 140gr FTX fast enough to make it effective on animals from coyote to small deer, the higher pressure of the 357 Magnum case would be preferred.

#3 ·
thought

One of my questions was if the brass on a 38 would hold the pressure. The reason for asking is to save some time trimming the 357 brass. I don't own a 38 nor would I want one. I don't lend ammo out and only myself will use it. Have heard the 38 brass will hold the pressure of the mag load. Looking for a census on whether or not it work. So far I have one for it won't. Thanks for your time in responding. Don't want to waste my time on something that will put me in the ER or morgue. Thanks again.

#5 ·
NM,

Jason has given you sage advice posted above.

Might I ask what you are shooting them in?

The reason for trimming the cases are so the loaded over all length meets SAAMI specifications. If your revolver has enough cylinder length (assuming handgun since posted in this forum section) you can just load the data without trimming. This will increase your internal case capacity and thereby lower the chamber pressure, the result being that you may not get quite the stated velocity in the manual, which is not world ending.

Todd

#6 ·
Ftc

Just last week, I loaded some FTX bullets into .38 Spl cases. They were fired in an old S&W model 10. They worked just fine. I did not attempt to duplicate magnum pressures/loads.
I also loaded a box of .357 Magnum cases using the same bullets and 15 grains of 2400. I did not trim the cases. The cartridges were used in an M 92 lever carbine. They were wonderfully accurate at the distance that I tested them....50 yards.

#9 ·
Just last week, I loaded some FTX bullets into .38 Spl cases. They were fired in an old S&W model 10. They worked just fine. I did not attempt to duplicate magnum pressures/loads.
I also loaded a box of .357 Magnum cases using the same bullets and 15 grains of 2400. I did not trim the cases. The cartridges were used in an M 92 lever carbine. They were wonderfully accurate at the distance that I tested them....50 yards.
Am I correct to assume the FTX bullets you refer to are the same as above question (140gr). 15gr 2400 seems pretty stiff, but I've only used 2400 in the 357 (same rifle you refer to) with 160gr lead over 14gr and got cratered primers. Backed off to 13.5 and all was well. Do you have any idea what the velocity was with your load? Seems like that might be a really good hunting load...

#7 ·
I sincerely doubt the .38 cases will fail under pressure. Brass is brass and in a revolver, it's supported almost 100%. The manufacturers would have to deliberately make it incredibly thin and soft to fail.

Having said that, it's a poor practice as there is always a chance - however remote - that it may find it's way into a .38 special revolver. And that would be very bad. So..... if you need 50 for hunting loads, it's a tiny investment in time to trim some .357 brass to the correct length, just for peace of mind.

That's what I'd do.

#8 · (Edited)
The .38-44 HV is the Special loaded to Magnum pressures and is the predecessor to the .357 Magnum. These loads are not recommended for .38 Special revolvers however and were originally developed for N-frame S&W's.
Just a note: The short Hornady LEVERevolution brass loaded with the Lyman #358429 173gr SWC (Beartooth's "Keith" bullet) has an overall length of 1.61"-1.62", should fit most .357 revolvers and can use the same load data as the now discontinued 170gr Sierra JHC. This info is given to me by a hunting buddy. He has both an L-frame S&W and a GP-100. This saves you from having to trim cases or use .38 Special brass or crimping over the front drive band in order to get the long-nosed bullet to fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.