Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Marlin 336 in .30-30 and I plan to reload using 160 gr Hornady FTX bullets. Has anyone had any trouble with this flex tip design? I'm also having trouble getting reloading data for this 160 GR bullet. Only found one, IMR 8208 XBR powder using 27.0 starting load and 30.0 GR MAX. load. Do you folks have any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have tried the factory ammo , and it is great stuff . I would check Hornady's web site for data on the 160Gr. FTX bullet . Failing that I would work up my own load from a start load for a 170Gr. bullet . WW-748 and IMR-4064 are two good 30-30 powders.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I tried it in my 336 and it was not accurate at all. My rifle really didn't like it and I did not really notice a big enough difference to switch from the Powerpoints I have been using for a long time. Quite frankly, I just don't see the point (pun intended). If I want a boost from what my .30-30 can do with the Powerpoints I will use my 06. Anyway, I think they are a waste of money if you are buying factory ammo. With that said, I am sure you will get much better results with them if you are loading your own and you will be pleased.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The FTX works in some rifles but does not in others. Give them a try. If they work in your rifle, they are like the hammer of Thor out to 150 yds or so. I killed a deer with one last year and he dropped like he was born dead. I have another rifle that won't shoot them worth a darn. Use the Hornady load data and you will have plenty to play around with.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well i was impressed by the ftx.... but ive got my 30 30 marlin zeroed [really 95 yrds] with winchester170 power pt..i recently made three strait 240 yrd shots with that ammo..yea it was a good day,, with little of the shaking that sometimes plagues me.
so i don t see any need for ftx..if i remember right, i held 12 high at 240yrds ..
the impact points were all close enough to aimpoint
for coyote shoulder shots..
either one would have done a coyote in with shoulder hit.. thats my opinion anyway..
don t mean,, i don t like hornadys ftx ..just don t think i need it..
think its a myth that a 30 30 is limited to 200 yrds for effective hits..
if it was the only gun i used ,,i believe i might even get to where i could better that..
i doubt any gun will ever replace the savage 110,, 06 for me.. but the 30 30
has certainly shown me that in the absense of the 06 savage,,it ll sure nuff do.. just means you got to get within range of the guns capabilities.. in other wrds learn to hunt exclusively with it..at least that how id get as good as i could be with it..being hungry,,or scared some rifleman man
may be drawing a bead on me ,,would cause me to reach my potential with the gun much better..i believe..jmo slim

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Unlike some of HORNADY'S "self-defense" pistol ammunition, the Leverevolution ammo works very well and I can simply tell folks, it is not cheap but sure does shoot well iln my .444 Marlin and .30-30 rifles in both Winchester and Marlin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts