Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell me the difference between Hornady's projectiles designated SP and those designated SPSX. They otherwise seem to be identical.

thanks in advance

Bones

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Can't find that exact lettering from my sources but could it mean "soft point super explosive/expansion"? My sources list either the "SP" or "SX" but not both together.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
SP = Soft Point
SX = Super Explosive
Translated, the SX bullets are designed to work at the lower speeds that a 221 or 222 works at, rather than the higher speeds of a 22-250 or 220 Swift.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Also, the "SX" designation for the thin-walled jackets were to be used as varmint bullets. Used to load them in a .223 Rem T/C Contender with devastating results.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
BTW, Sierra does (or has done) something similar. Their varmint bullets recommended for some of the smaller, lower speed varmint cartridges are designated as 'Blitz' bullets.
I shot a lot of the Hornady SX's in a 222 magnum when I had a few non SX type bullets fail to expand. The SX's worked very well.
I'm sure they would in many 223's, too- although I wonder if some of the 1-7 twist barrels you see in 223's might make an SX type bullet come apart. Never tried it, so that's an un edumacated guess.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'm sure they would in many 223's, too- although I wonder if some of the 1-7 twist barrels you see in 223's might make an SX type bullet come apart.
I've used the Hornady SX and Sierra Blitz 50/55gr bullets in .222/.223 for at least 30 years. They are very effective on groundhogs, prairie dogs and foxes, and will totally eliminate bullets bouncing over the country side, and will come apart with any contact with the ground, or even a tuft of grass.

I'd be interested in how they would handle 1-7 twist barrels loaded hot, as they will often come unglued in a .22-250 at 3500fps in a 1-12" twist. Some quick math suggests a hot .223 load @ 1-7 is actually spinning quite a bit faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts