Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Shadow
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my reloading experience, Speer bullets seem to be less "slick" than others. Also their data tends to be relatively "conservative". None of which are a bad thing.

So Hornady has come out with "Superformance" magic stuff. In the 308 they claim a 175Gr. at 2775 fps.
Even Speer can get a 180gr. Non-Match bullet to 2613 fps; AND their 168 gr. Match to 2751fps.
So is Hornady REALLY magic at "Blending" powders? I say no.

Especially since 1) Hodgdon all but refuses to do ANY remotely recent testing of Winchester powders, and lists MOST of the info in CUP, AND in some cases far below their "branded" powders pressures.
2) Hornady invented a new (or possibly re-intorduced the former) HPBT to be "able" to do it; and doesn't list pressures.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
HEY! You got your ammunition in my advertising! No, you got your advertising in my ammunition!

My older Speer manual shows their 168gr match bullet at 3011fps, with H380. Then, in a very confusing bit of book "data", they only list a top velocity of 2644fps with their 180gr bullets, yet a whopping 2746fps, with the 200gr match offering. I think part of this can be attributed to the fact that they offer (in this book) 5 different 180gr bullets, in .308", which can't possibly all have the same bearing surface, so they are listing the highest charge that is safe with all 5 of them.

Regardless of what a component or reloading company says their stuff will do, it's up to the discriminating shooter to both chronograph the load from HIS rifle, and shoot those loads at various distances to determine where they will impact. In addition to using powders us reloaders can't get, I have long suspected these "magnum" loadings to be little more than a bullet with reduced bearing surface, allowing it to slip down the barrel faster. Whether or not this can be achieved w/o sacrificing accuracy is probably something that would need to be tested on a case-by-case basis.

·
The Shadow
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed 100%!! Especially about the advertising getting in the ammo:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nothing has changed ! Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see !!

·
Registered
43 Posts
you need to go to snipershide to really get the low down on this new ammo from Hornady.they have all kinds of lengths of barrels shooting it,even some are testing it with Black guns.they list it all but no one has yet reloaded it since Midway sold some in a blemish bullet about 4 weeks ago.hope this helps out.

yeah one more thing.I did run across one of the newer Alliant powders that should give out the same result with a 175gn/178gn bullet.but was told for sure it was not the powder Hornady is useing.the charge was with power pro2000lr at 47.7gn giveing 2720fps.witch just happens to be the same fps and charge weight some one found out buy pulling a bullet and shooting it over a chrony.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts