1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
174 Posts
Apparently Hornady is suspending production of around 150 bullets until further notice:

http://www.weeniewawa.com/default/Hornady_list_of_bullets.pdf

They also released a 2013 Production List:

Updated 2013 Hornady Commercial Ammunition and Bullet Production List - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

So if you use any of the bullets on the suspend list, you may want to make sure you have enough for your use.

That might be tough to do as most of the ones on the list have been gone from the shelves for months. Now they will be gone for years.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be. I haven't needed bullets in quite a while, esp Hornady as Midway had a sale on blemished/overruns a while back and I picked up a good supply of what I used for my hunting rifles. Glad I did now as it sounds like some haven't been nor will be available for some time.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
By a stroke of good fortune all the Hornady bullets I use will be in production. Hope doing this will put more product on the shelves.

·
Registered
132 Posts
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 0.9em" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 0.9em" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>82750</TD><TD>450 MARLIN 325 GR FTX®LVR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>82750</TD><TD>450 MARLIN 325 GR FTX®LVR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>yipee

·
Registered
212 Posts
Everything I use is still being made, so I'm ok for now, I guess.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm glad that Hornady is expanding their manufacturing, more jobs in a great industry. However they are nowhere near as large as some of the other ammunition manufacturers (all Hornady ammo is made in the USA,not imported), so I fear Hornady may become a endangered species in the future.

All things considered, looking at the "suspended" list, Hornady may not see 2018. :(

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding is the suspended list is to stop production of the less popular items to meet the demand of some of their more popular and higher demand items.

If suspending a relatively small seller such as the .348 200 grn Interlock (and many like it) allows them to meet the much higher demand of the .277 130 grn, .284 139 grn or .308 150 grn Interlock, I can see why. With hunting season not far off, the market for any of those Interlocks dwarfs many of the items on the suspended list.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I use two on the suspend list:
HOR3040 and HOR3060.

Thanks for the information, we might never have seen that.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Darkker and I were talking about this yesterday or the day before. I found it somewhat curious that essentially all the 26-cal bullets are NOT on the list (good for me), but a surprising number of 30-cals are. What I found just slightly ironically amusing is that the 'target' shooters, in a general way, are finding out right now just how tiny a fraction of the market they (we, since I also shoot target bullets some) represent.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
By a stroke of good fortune all the Hornady bullets I use will be in production. Hope doing this will put more product on the shelves.
I have never tried their p/n 3505, the 180-grain pointed soft-point, or whatever it is, for .35-caliber. I'd have liked to but sadly, that opportunity is forever gone-ski. My thinking is if these bullets weren't selling, then they probably will not be manufactured again. Let's hope the other companies don't follow the same idea and cut away half of what they're offering today. That happens, and we'll have precious little in choices of bullets. It will be 1942 all over again...

I see the 55-grain, .224-caliber FMJ-BT escaped the axe. Gotta love that. Same for the 150-grain, .308-caliber FMJ-BT. But I am dismayed that several .308-caliber target bullets got the hook. So did a few .224" bullets for long-range target shooting. That's just not good...

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Kinda wonder if the target crowd goes more with companies like Burger, Sierra, Nosler instead of Hornady. Maybe explain the cuts on those bullets?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I did notice that they didnt list many GMX bullets in the discontinued line. I havent seen any of those available, either.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I have never tried their p/n 3505, the 180-grain pointed soft-point, or whatever it is, for .35-caliber. I'd have liked to but sadly, that opportunity is forever gone-ski. My thinking is if these bullets weren't selling, then they probably will not be manufactured again. .....................................
NV, that bullet is in stock at Powder Valley for $31.28 per 100. I don;t know how many they have left before they run out, but you might be able to get some to try.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,572 Posts
M1, thanks for posting this information.

After contacting Hornady I was "assured" that most if not all of the "suspended" bullet will be brought back into production as soon as possible next year.

What they are trying to do is keep up production with the most popular bullets due to the hoarders and panniking lemmings buying everything they see.

Take the time to read the information carefully and don't panic. It took me reading twice through to get the jist that this is NOT A DISCONTINUANCE of certain bullets, just a temporary stoppage of production. Like M1 said they must be making the popular ones for the upcoming hunting seasons.

RJ

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I think it's more accurate to say that Hornady is scaling back on the diversity of bullets made so that they can focus on making more...of a relatively select few. (My guess is they're going to focus on 124gr 9mm bullets and 50-55gr 223 bullets, to meet the unprecedented demand from manufacturers and reloaders of those two cartridges.)

Most of the Hornady bullets I use are not being temporarily discontinued, with the exception of the 180gr SSP bullet that my 358GNR likes so much. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had to personally inquire about their suspension of the entire Interbond line and all .30-30 bullets, as they are some of the top Sellers.......their reply email basically stated that their own ammunition production for the upcoming hunting season using those components are receiving priority with secondary ammo manufacturer contracts next in line and individual components last............regardless of how well they sell to reloaders.

I then replied back that can't be the case, as they also suspended just about their entire hunting ammo line as well, as far as I could tell........their reply to that has not been received yet. My guess is they have made all they're going to make and fill orders from inventory till its all gone and no resupply.

My thing is this...........a shorter list would be, "we suspend manufacture of all items except these" cause seems to me that not much of anything is left vs. what they normally offer.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have never tried their p/n 3505, the 180-grain pointed soft-point, or whatever it is, for .35-caliber. I'd have liked to but sadly, that opportunity is forever gone-ski. My thinking is if these bullets weren't selling, then they probably will not be manufactured again. Let's hope the other companies don't follow the same idea and cut away half of what they're offering today. That happens, and we'll have precious little in choices of bullets. It will be 1942 all over again...

I see the 55-grain, .224-caliber FMJ-BT escaped the axe. Gotta love that. Same for the 150-grain, .308-caliber FMJ-BT. But I am dismayed that several .308-caliber target bullets got the hook. So did a few .224" bullets for long-range target shooting. That's just not good...

Woodbury - Guns, Hunting, Archery & Outfitting! has the Hornady 180gr SSP # 3505 for $ 35.99/box of 100 each. Says they have 24 boxes in stock.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts