Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some Hornady XTP 45cal 250GR HP\XTP bullets yesterday with some TC Super Glide sabots for 50cal guns using .452" bullets. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using this bullet for hunting and what your comments might be for using this cambination for deer hunting here in Iowa. I am shooting Triple 7 powder and have a good stock pile of CCI 209 primers. Last year I was using the Hornady SST low drag 50cal 250GR bullets and liked them a lot. They dropped my deer right away with a good double lung shot but they are terribly expensive to shoot at the range or just getting ready for the next season. I usually loaded 120GR of powder and got good results but am not sure what would be a good powder load behind my new 45 cal XTP bullets with sabots for a 50 cal rifle. I am shooting a Knight Vision 50 for a rifle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have shot the 45 cal XTP Mag for a while with great results. Shooting out of a TC Endeavor, williams rear peep sight, .750" groups @ 50 yds, 100 gr of Triple 7. I havent tried to push them any faster than that. I have a second TC Endeavor that is scoped and shoots very well with Hornadays .430 265 gr FTX in front of 120 gr Triple 7. Both loads perform great on deer for me. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I shoot the Hornady .452" XTP bullets in my M/L with 90 grains (Volume) Triple "7" FFG powder. Excellent bullet and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers guys. I will have to give them a try and think I will try about a 100GR of Triple 7 and then maybe try the Ramshot powder I picked up.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys. I will have to give them a try and think I will try about a 100GR of Triple 7 and then maybe try the Ramshot powder I picked up.
Isn't Ramshot powder smokeless? Or do they make one now for muzzleloaders. Your T/C Endeavor IS NOT MEANT TO SHOOT SMOKELESS POWDER. Unless T/C has changed things or you got some special barrel. That Triple Seven powder will work just fine. And XTP's are a good accurate load.

·
Banned
127 Posts
If anyone wants to shoot Ramshot powder in a muzzleloader, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't do it around me. Smokless powders are not intended for any muzzleloader unless you have one of those Savage 10's, and then as far as I am aware, Ramshot is not recommended for the Savage. If you want to use SUBSTITUTE black powders, fine, but DO NOT use SMOKELESS powder in a muzzleloader. The last thing I want to hear is "hey everybody, watch this"! I hope I have made this clear. Are you insulted? I really do not give a d***!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I shoot 250 grain XTPs out of my Savage @2100fps, and have had great accuracy and killing power with them. 1" groups at 100 yds are common, and 1.5-2" groups at 200 have been had too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't Ramshot powder smokeless? Or do they make one now for muzzleloaders. Your T/C Endeavor IS NOT MEANT TO SHOOT SMOKELESS POWDER. Unless T/C has changed things or you got some special barrel. That Triple Seven powder will work just fine. And XTP's are a good accurate load.
I meant to say that Blackhorn powder. The containers look a lot like the containers that the Ramshot smokeless powders come in. Sorry it took me so long to respond but this week was brutal at work and I never got on the home computer once. Has anyone else used the Blackhorn? It is a little more expensive but I have heard from a few BP shooters that they really like it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope I have made this clear. Are you insulted? I really do not give a d***!
Do you really think that you have the power to insult? ;)That kind of power has to be granted. All of the political correctness BS in the country now has taught me that. Good suggestions should never be construed as insulting especially when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
BlackHorn 209 is a GREAT POWDER. Just be sure you have the right rifle. It is not meant for open breech designs like the CVA Staghorn, White, and the Knight Bighorn and Wolverine, etc. In bolt guns and break opens, with the right breech plug it works great.

Just be sure that you do not use water to swab the bore when shooting Blackhorn. Actually you do not have to swab when shooting it. And it cleans with solvent not water. BH has a lot of power, burn somewhat clean, and works real well in the right rifle. My problem is, it is hard to find unless I want to order it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello Trapper, I've used the 250 and 300 gr XTP's in my Encore for several yrs now using 3 pellets of 777. (50 gr.) Accuracy has always been good and LOTS of rounds down range. Over the Chrony only 60fps differewnce between the 250 and the 300 so I usually shoot the 300, penetrates like crazy. I've come to favor the Forrester crushed rib sabot also. See ya, Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Stuff. Thanks for the suggestions guys. The last time I was in Scheels they had a good supply of Blackhorn so I think I am going to have to pick up a pound and try it out.

Trent

·
Banned
127 Posts
Do you really think that you have the power to insult? ;)That kind of power has to be granted. All of the political correctness BS in the country now has taught me that. Good suggestions should never be construed as insulting especially when it comes to safety.
I'm glad we got that cleared up! I just didn't want to hear about you on the news, BLOWING yourself up. There have been those who asked why they couldn't use nitro based powder in their smoke pole, and couldn't undrestand why when told no. Where safety is concerned, there is sometimes no room to be polite.

I have not used Blackhorn 209, but heard it was good stuff. You may want to give real black powder a try though. Nothing beats its performance and you can shoot it in any BP rifle. I tried several of the sub powders and never achieved the same accuracy as with the real stuff. IMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
T Trent,
Most game performance reports of XTPs in either caliber or weight (240/250 or 300g) have been very positive. Biggest issue is bullet trajectory (drop). Know your POI at multiple distances that you are likely to encounter. Ex.: 50, 100, 150, & 200 yards.
Have fun, be safe, and happy hunting.
jas

·
Banned
35 Posts
Just got back from the range where I shot some 250 gr. XTP's. At 100 yds my Accura shot a 3 shot group that measured 7/8" using 110 grs. Blackhorn 209 powder, black Harvester Crush rib sabot and a CCI 209M primer. My scope is sighted in 1/2" high at 100 yds with Barnes 250 TEZ bullet. The XTP's shot 2 1/2" low with the same hold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
One thing to be careful about with the 250 gr 45 XTP, its made for velocities that max at about 1600 fps.pushing one too fast can result in blowups and penetration failures.For higher velocities the .45 240 gr ( mag) is a better choice.That being said , I've found the XTP's in both .44 and .45 calibers to be death rays.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Poor accuracy with the Super Glides for me. Group ran from 6" to 8" using 110 Gr BH 209. With Crush Rib sabots and same powder charge 3 grouped into 7/8" when shot from my Accura.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts