Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

Im considering getting another .22 Hornet, i regret selling my old Anschutlz, it was a really lovely little gun. My reason for selling it was i was not happy with factory loads on foxes at close range ( complete bullet disintergration), obvoiusly at the time i did not reload..................

I now have a better idea of bullets to use when reloading for the Hornet ie Nosler etc.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to load (HEAVY) 52gn BTHP in a .22 Hornet ? I know that such loads would not if in many, if any magazines, but what about if loaded single shot ? or is the OAL prohibitive ? Would it require lengtherning the rifle throat ?

Regards Englander

:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Englander,

Now that you handload, you can of course tailor the COL for your specific firearm's needs, my only question regarding the bullets over 50 grains would be stabilization of the bullets due to twist rate and velocity from a Hornet. I've shot some hornets in the past that did wonderfully with Nosler Ballistic Tip 50 grain pills, but failed woefully with the 52g Sierra and 55g Nosler... same went for any bullet over 50 grains (including cast) However, at 50 grains and under almost all bullets behaved very nicely in the hornet chambered guns I've tinkered with in the past (no, I don't currenly have one in my stable).

For what it's worth, I hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,216 Posts
Typical Hornet twist is 1 - 16".

Some newer Hornet rifles may have a 1 - 14" twist (I'm thinking the Ruger 77/22 Hornet model).

Definitely check this out before you buy.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Englander,

I highly recommend Ken Waters' massive, Pet Loads book. Not only great for the reloading info and techniques, but (unknowingly, I think) it really puts the origins and use of the cartridges and firearms in perspective. I find it indespensible and entertaining.

That said, he's got some comments about the picky Hornet. Rifle twist, bore size and bullet weights are well discussed. You need to research the combos pretty thoroughly with this round, it looks like. (His old Win 54 is marginal with 50gr and anything over that proved unstable...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts