Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I was putting around my shop trying to get the kinks out of my MEC Grabber. some times when the cases don't crimp correctly and the top is open I use a little hot glue to seal it up so I don't spill the shot everywhere. then The idea occured.

First i filled a wad with hot glue and pushed it into a primed and charged case. I soon learned that you cannot keep them perfectly round. I then started priming and charging and inserting a wad and then filled it to about the top of the wad with hot glue. This worked well but they didn't shoot well because of their light weight. After an afternoon of experimenting I ended up taking a primed charged and wadded case and putting enough no. 8 shot to cover the bottom of the inside of the wad. Then two full squirts with the glue gun. I then let it harden for a few minutes and put enough shot to cover the glue and another squirt or two with the glue gun. so on and so fourth until the glue was at the top of the wad and all the shot was covered.

I would then run the loaded case through the crimping section of my reloader. they never crimped well but it didn't matter to me. I have yet to weigh one of these "slugs" but id guess them to be a little less then an ounce. These shot well. Accuracy is poor but the ballistics are amazing. I chronoed one at 1400 fps. they hit very hard and expand like crazy.

I have a dirt hill that I shoot into at home. I shot one of these into a full size phone book and blew it to peaces. The entry hole is the size of the wad and the exit was spectacular. After exiting the book it did not penetrate the soft sandy dirt. they will put a hole in one side of a metal fifty gallon drum but won't even dent the other side. I shot clean through a 2x6 and the projectile was in the dirt with no penetration. It seems that once these hit something they turn into a gelatinous blob that is harmles. I think this might be the ultimit home defense round. I really doubt they will exit a torso and have no doubt they will kill in a hurry.

They are accurate at about ten to fifteen yards. I started shooting them through an old Remington 12ga with a nonchangeable full choke. I soon switched to my cz with a cylinder choke installed just to make be breath easyer. Tell me what you all think. Thanx

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,671 Posts
Sounds like you need find a cooperative raccoon to test them on ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
fotos are obligatory for this topic, I think

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I love stuff like this. Get some photos on here. This reminds me of when we crimped 00 splitshot on sevenstrand leader and coiled it into the wad. Shot through a cloud of starlings, it is unbelievable. Even 80 yards up, it cuts stuff right in half.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Very cool. Doesn't sound like it would be good for deer unless you wanted sausage with shot in it but great for home defense. Sounds like you need to patten the process.

I had a thought like that once which was to take a number of thin steel or copper rods or heavy gague wire pieces the length of slug and wrap them with one or two lengths of copper wire to hold them together until they impacted I was looking for a similar terminal effect, sort of like a slug made out of a bunch of flechettes. Never did get around to loading any but it was a thought.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I play a lot, but that's something I haven't tried. :D

A few of questiond: How much powder and what kind? Have you had a chance to weigh the slug? 1 1/8 ounce wad or something else?

DC

·
Registered
19 Posts
when i was a bit younger, i was left with what old timers then called a 'suicide' or a devil slug. It simple meant cutiing a shotshell (birdshot) not all the way through at about the neck of the wad, leaving just ample plastic to keep it from fallin off or splitting into two. this thing worked like a slug when fired. I have done it for survival, and it worked well. got a modest sized pig and fed my starvin party. Just in case u got into that situation.... only in extreme emergencies!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I weighed two today. one was 288.5 grains and the other was 247.8 grains. so I guess they weigh a little over half an once.
The powder is IMR hi skor 700x and all I know about the wads are they are AA. Oh and I didn't take my charge ber apart and I cant remember what size bushing I used to use. I'll try to get back to you DMC with the rest of the info you requested. I know that I was only reloading low base 2 and 3/4 shells. hope that helps a little.
Can someone tell me how to put pictures on here? when i click "insert image" it asks me to enter the URL of my image. I don't know what this means..... You guys are masters of your arts and I am honored that you are interested in my experimentation.

·
Registered
416 Posts
"all I know about the wads are they are AA"

WAA12? Are they white, or a different color - pink, gray, yellow, orange or red? (I think I covered the spectrum of 12 Gauge AA wads there).

Rather than rely completely on a bushing's supposed drop, you really should weigh a few charges. Might save you some grief down the road.

DC

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Very cool. Doesn't sound like it would be good for deer unless you wanted sausage with shot in it but great for home defense. Sounds like you need to patten the process.

I had a thought like that once which was to take a number of thin steel or copper rods or heavy gague wire pieces the length of slug and wrap them with one or two lengths of copper wire to hold them together until they impacted I was looking for a similar terminal effect, sort of like a slug made out of a bunch of flechettes. Never did get around to loading any but it was a thought.
This gives me an idea for the 20 pounds of flechettes I have lying around. If you suspended a bundle of them in glue or cast them in some sort of 2-part resin it should be quite interesting.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wonder if I could try this with my wife's gravy! It sets up bout like concrete so it woud be solid enough!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
To post pictures you need to open an account on one of the free hosting sites, like photobucket. You upload the pictures from your computer onto the host site then post that IMG address here. The account is free but you may want a paid account if you upload a lot of pictures and start posting them all over the net. They will let you know when you have exceeded your free account limitations.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
here are the projectiles.

the one on the left is after exiting a 2x6 and the one on the right was recovered after I shot it into a living pine tree and watched it bounce off and land about 29 yards away, after penetrating about a half inch.

this is the back of the phonebook

and this is the 2x6 exit

·
Registered
416 Posts
BTW, good pictures. :) I could post 'em, but it's your thread. ;)

Reason I wanted to know which wad was to give me an idea of OAL. Each WAA wad has a different capacity. Your idea has kind of given me a slightly different one.

DC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts