Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recently manufactured, pre buyout, 336 in 35 Remy and for my area of the county, Appalachia has some larger game and some smaller game, this rifle seems to be able to handle everything I have come up against.

I am just wonder what would "hot loads" do to the rifle when shot over a good length of time. These loads would be worked up, but at the top of the reloading levels.

Jerry

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
Cast..... either Marshall's 180gr. "+P" handgun bullet, and as much Varget as you can get in the case (and you can get at LOT in there if you try), or the RCBS 205 (200?) gr. FNGC. About 40 grains of Varget with that one.

Rem brass has the most capacity of what I have on hand (Fed and Win also).

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
With 200gr FTX bullets, I have used up to 38.0 gr of AA2520 and up to 36.8gr of IMR4064.

In the Hornady 200gr roundnose, I've used up 392. IMR4064 and up to 38.6gr Varget. Maybe they're not too hot, I don;t know, but with only about 330 rounds through the rifle, I have no idea what affect these loads will have over time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
my pet load for my '64 336 is 40+ gr of 3031 in back of the speer 180 gr flat point for around 2300-2400 fps. I have fired close to 300 of these. I constantly check for pressure signs - hard extraction, flatened primers, difficult rechambering after firing, etc but have never found any. No doubt about it this load is "hot" - beyond the loading manual top loads but perfectly safe in my rifle. You will have to determine how much above 40 grains to go with your own testing. My own testing was slowly increased from the manual's max loading until I reached my goal of 2400 fps.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

I have been shooting 200 gr. Sierra and Hornady bullets over 40 grs. of 4895 for years. That's only 1.5 grains over the manual's max. and about all that I can get in there. I have been using Varget lately and 40 to 41 grains is about all that will go. The loading manual call for 39.5 as a maximum load. 39.5 produces less than 34,000 CUP of pressure and the Marlin will safely handle up around 50,000 CUP . In my opinion you cannot get too much Varget or 4895 into the 35 Rem case. A case full of those powders would be hard pressed to produce 40,000 CUP.

BTW, watching for pressure signs with any sane load is a waste of time. Pressure must reach will above 60,000 PSI before any "signs" begin to appear. Levergun cartridges in the Marlin 336 run about 40,000 to 45,000 PSI. Your Marlin will very likely fall apart before you see blown primers and stuck cases. Stay with published load date and you will be safe. In the matter of the 35 Rem a few grains over is acceptable in the 336 because the SAAMI standard was set for the weak action Remington. The Marlin is far stronger.

The 35 Rem is similar to the 45-70, 38-55, and others in that they must be loaded down because of the old and weaker rifles which are also chambered for those cartridges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.